The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 6, 2000, 01:33 AM   #1
Bill Adair

Anyone tried the loads described at
http://www.sixgunner.com/linebaugh/dissolving.htm

???

I'm interested in working up some of these loads using H-110 and 250gr Oregon Trail lead bullets in my Blackhawk, but I'm afraid even the low end might be too much for my Marlin Cowboy lever action?

I'm going to chrono the Oregon Trail recommended starting loads first, and work up from there.

Comments appreciated.

Bill
Old July 6, 2000, 03:27 AM   #2
Robert the41MagFan

Up to about 40000 PSI, the Marlin can take it. That is a lot of 45 Colt load. Linebaugh only recommends loads up to 32000 in a Ruger, 80% of a 44 Magnum load. Also, The folks at Oregon Trail Cast recommend that there bullets be shot at around 1200 to 1500 FPS Maximum. That is very easily done from a rifle bore.

Robert
Old July 6, 2000, 06:09 PM   #3
Bill Adair

Robert,

Thanks for the info.

I have no intention of loading to that 32K max pressure, so my loads should be safe for the Marlin.

My present Blackhawk loads of 9gr of Ramshot True Blue with OT 250gr LRNFP bullets, clock about 877 from the Blackhawk, and 1096 from the Marlin, with supurb accuracy from the Blackhawk.

Haven't finished zeroing in the Marlin, but I suspect the groups won't be very good with those stock Marble buckhorn sights.

Bill

Old July 6, 2000, 06:36 PM   #4
Robert the41MagFan

Bill,

With that low velocity, are you getting lots of leading around the forcing cone? All I shoot is Oregon Trail cast. Anytime I shoot under 900 FPS, it leads up at the front chamber and forcing cone. A sign of too low a velocity. Accuracy goes to pot after 50 rounds.

Robert
Old July 6, 2000, 07:13 PM   #5
WESHOOT2

Suggest W296 for 'heavy' loads.

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"

Old July 7, 2000, 02:23 AM   #6
Bill Adair

Robert,

Funny you should ask.

I was using a softer bullet from a local source while waiting for my Oregon Trail order to arrive, and got such bad leading in the Blackhawk, that I had to use a Lewis lead remover to get it out.

Since I switched to the OT bullets, I've had virtually no leading at any velocity!

Just cleaned the gun recently after several hundred rounds, including a box of various test loads ranging from 700 fps to 1100 fps, with no more than a couple flakes of lead, which practically fell out of the forcing cone when I pushed a brush through.

Bill
Old July 7, 2000, 04:26 AM   #7
Robert the41MagFan

It must be the primers that I am using, Winchester WLP, WSP, WSR and WLR primers. The Guru at Oregon Trail said that Magnum primers are not compatible with their bullets, causes leading problems. Some sort of reaction with the chemistries between the primer and bullet (he explained it to me, but way beyond my interest and comprehension). These primers a suppose to be middle of the road and for use with both Magnum and standard load. Don't know what the deal is. Only way I can stop the leading is by increasing the velocity. When I need extreme accuracy, just switch to gas Checked LBT's. Can get then now for just about all my guns.

Robert

Robert
Old July 7, 2000, 12:39 PM   #8
Bill Adair

Robert,

That is interesting!

I've been using CCI primers in all my other guns for many years, but my dealer had only Winchester large pistol primers when I bought the Blackhawk, so I switched to Winchester for everything. The early brand of bullets leaded badly using the WLP primers.

Leading can also be worse in new barrels, so I generally run a few hundred jacketed bullets through my new guns, but I fired less in the Colt, because of the high price of 45 jacketed bullets.

I may be offline for a few days.

Bill

Old July 8, 2000, 02:42 AM   #9
Garrett5

I have too have had leading problems with Laser Cast. I had to push the over 1300fps, in my handguns, to reduce leading. And in my rifles they always left lead in the last six inches, or so, of the barrel.

One way that I reduced the leading in rifles, was to re-lub the bullets with Lee Liquid Alox bullet lub. This has cut leading by at least 60% in all my 45 Colt firearms. I now do this with all my lead bullets for the 45 Colt.

To ease clean-up I use a copper scouring pad called "Chore Boy" wrapped around an old bronze bore brush. Run that through the barrel a few times, then check to see if the lead is out. If not repeat. After the lead is out clean out the copper.

I hope I have not been to long winded.

Garrett
Old July 12, 2000, 09:15 PM   #10
Bill Adair

Garrett,

Been out of town for almost a week, so I just got your message.

Appreciate the info on your lube and cleaning methods, and it was definitely not too long winded!

The Laser Cast bullets are not the one's that caused my leading. It was a local product that was cast from noticeably softer lead.

I generally load my Laser Cast 357 bullets for 900 to 1,100 fps, and the 45 Colt for 800-1,000 fps.

I've fired several thousand of them, with no signs of excess leading, and in fact, the leading in my guns has been almost non-existent!

The Marlin has less than a box thru it so far, and I haven't cleaned it yet, so there may be some leading there that I haven't found.

Bill