The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 29, 2012, 03:25 PM   #1
GreaseMonkey4Hire

Winchester pump problem

I have a Winchester model 1200 that I use for shooting clays. I purchased the gun used at a pawn shop 15 or so years ago. It has seen many cheap 100 round boxes of bulk walmart ammo (at least 10k by me) and has worked flawlessly until recently.

When I chamber a round and fire, the action returns back and ejects the shell on its own unless you hold forward pressure on it. In other words, if you were to fire a round holding shouldered with only one hand on the trigger, the empty case would eject. The shot still seems to fire normally. I dont recall it doing this before. It has always been regurlarly cleaned and lubricated and stored in a proper enviroment, no signs of rust or obvious wear. Any Ideas on the cause?
Old December 29, 2012, 04:20 PM   #2
Erno86

I don't know about your 1200, but my Winchester 1300 Turkey gun, has reputed to have the fastest pump ejection in the world; because the action unlocks after the shot.
Old December 29, 2012, 04:25 PM   #3
Virginian

My Wingmaster will do the same thing, and so would five others, and three BPSs. When the gun fires, the action is unlocked. The bolt is still locked to the barrel. Recoil throws the entire gun backwards, and you stop everything, but the bolt and fore end.
It's a pump gun thing. Perfectly normal. As long as you cannot pull the fore end to the rear when the gun is cocked without depressing the action release you are fine.
Old December 29, 2012, 04:54 PM   #4
GreaseMonkey4Hire

I must have been putting some sort of forward pressure on the action all along and just not noticed it. I recently found myself wondering how accurate I would be if I was only able to use one arm and thats when I noticed what I thought was a problem. Thanks for the information gentlemen.
Old December 29, 2012, 05:33 PM   #5
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Grease, either that or the lock up lug was real snug before and is now broke in from use.

Brent