The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 24, 2012, 11:32 PM   #1
mohr308

Primer sealer

Does anyone use primer sealer for long term storage? I have been reloading and storing for my AR and was wondering if I should seal these rounds.
Old December 25, 2012, 07:13 AM   #2
hooligan1

Yep, I use it on my hunting bullets for my 7mm rem mag, .270 win., 30-06, .243 win., it's made by Markron, called "Primer and Bullet Sealer", it goes on thin and dries, you then cannot see it, doesn't effect accuracy or foul anything but it's labor intensive, so set up the tv get a cool drink and get to work fella.
Old December 25, 2012, 08:06 AM   #3
jwrowland77

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan1 View Post
Yep, I use it on my hunting bullets for my 7mm rem mag, .270 win., 30-06, .243 win., it's made by Markron, called "Primer and Bullet Sealer", it goes on thin and dries, you then cannot see it, doesn't effect accuracy or foul anything but it's labor intensive, so set up the tv get a cool drink and get to work fella.
I've looked at this stuff...can you use clear fingernail polish? Looks to be about the same.
Old December 25, 2012, 09:10 AM   #4
wolfgang78

yes, you can use clear finger nailpolish. sometimes it is cheaper!! i have used both products with good results.
Old December 25, 2012, 09:39 AM   #5
hooligan1

Yes, but it doesn't hurt to have some color in it so you know where you've sealed. The Markron dries clear, but has a blue tint to it. Also be aware you do need adequate ventilation!!
Old December 25, 2012, 09:41 AM   #6
Sport45

Quote:
Does anyone use primer sealer for long term storage?
No, but then I don't store ammunition under water either.
Old December 25, 2012, 09:43 AM   #7
hooligan1

Sport 45, haven't you ever hunted in the rain?
Old December 25, 2012, 10:35 AM   #8
solocam72

I have been an avid hunter since I was 9 yrs old, I killed my first bear at age 9, I have never missed a hunting season yet and I am 40 years old now, I lived and hunted in western Wa all my life up until 2 years ago, I moved to Idaho and now hunt here. I have handloaded since I was 14 or 15 yrs old and I have never used any kind of primer sealant, I've looked at it and thought it wouldn't hurt anything but have never done it. If anyone knows western Wa it rains a lot there! I and my equipment have been as soaked as you could possibly get without actually swimming and I have NEVER had a misfire, I have been just as wet here in idaho a couple times now also, I use one strip of black tape over my muzzle and one around the base to help secure it. I have killed my deer every year and a few elk. I am not saying its a bad idea to use the primer sealer, so far I havnt had a reason to use it.
Old December 25, 2012, 11:16 AM   #9
hooligan1

Solo, it's just Another step, not necessary, however one more time to fondle over the babies!!
Old December 25, 2012, 11:27 AM   #10
solocam72

hooligan1, LOL I hear ya! I have thought about it a few times, I seen some stuff at cabelas called roy's primer sealer iirc? I know it sure wouldn't hurt anything to do it. I have 5 shells on my loading bench for my 7 rem mag that I plan to send down range when weather permits, they are all tarnished and nasty looking from carrying in wet pant pockets and in and out of my rifle when pouring the rain. I killed a cow elk this year in a down pour with one of them or there would be 6
Old December 25, 2012, 12:53 PM   #11
Hammerhead

I've had commercial ammo go bad from wet primers (Blazer aluminum .40 ammo). I do use Markron on some premium handloads, but not everyday blasting ammo.
There is a reason why military ammo, premium self defense ammo and waterfowl ammo has sealed primers.
Old December 25, 2012, 12:56 PM   #12
colbad

Not sure if you want to store just the ammo or ammo inside the FA. The biggest concern of ammo inside the FA is your gun cleaner penetrating the primer. Most all cleansers are fine on the range to lube and shoot (including WD40) however, if you store with ammo, like a duty weapon, you need to think about your cleaners and lube. WD40 (and others) will defiantly penetrate over time and deactivate your primers.
Old December 25, 2012, 02:27 PM   #13
snuffy

Primer sealer is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. The press fit of a primer in an UNDAMAGED primer pocket, is very water resistant. ANY liquid would have to be under a lot of pressure to overcome that press fit. Meaning; very deep dives in a lake or ocean. A simple raindrop or a soaking rain has no pressure other than atmospheric pressure, it won't get a primer OR the powder wet.

Bullet fit in a clean neck and undamaged bullet shank is also very resistant to moisture.BUT the military seals both the bullet and the primer for those what-if situations. What if a Navy seals team deploys from a submarine to a shore landing? I don't know if the weapons are inside a waterproof pack or if the ammo is also. That might result in water seepage, so the ammo has the primers sealed.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old December 25, 2012, 05:32 PM   #14
solocam72

Excellent post snuffy!
Old December 25, 2012, 09:13 PM   #15
mohr308

Well I guess Im convinced, If I feel like doing it I can its just an extra cost + time. This isn't plinking ammo, it is a hunting round and I just wanted to make sure it will last.
Old December 25, 2012, 09:19 PM   #16
mohr308

Hey how about this idea, what if I sealed primer pockets with loctite? I know it sounds nuts.
Old December 25, 2012, 09:25 PM   #17
Sport45

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan1
Sport 45, haven't you ever hunted in the rain?
No, but I've been shooting in the rain, carried in the rain, and have even had some of my reloads go through the washer.

No damage from water seeping past the bullet or primer in anything that I've seen.
Old December 25, 2012, 09:26 PM   #18
Sport45

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohr308
Hey how about this idea, what if I sealed primer pockets with loctite? I know it sounds nuts.
Sounds nuts to me. First, I don't believe any sealant is needed. Second, I prefer to be able to deprime my brass to use again.
Old December 25, 2012, 11:18 PM   #19
sc928porsche

Fingernail polish works well. Just make sure that you dont use your better half's favorite (made that mistake once. sheesh!). Its always a good way to quickly identify at a glance some of those wildcat cartridges. You know.........260 Remington made from 7.62x51 brass because I had so much of it.

Last edited by sc928porsche; December 25, 2012 at 11:24 PM.
Old December 26, 2012, 07:26 PM   #20
g.willikers

Plenty of my reloads, sometimes in very old cases, have ridden around in the washing machine for a half hour or so.
They always have worked just fine.
It must be very hard for water to get inside a loaded round.
Old December 26, 2012, 10:14 PM   #21
reynolds357

I dont seal anything. My AR and AK ammo that is stockpiled is factory loaded. My hunting loads are all fresh. I load pretty much as I shoot. I dug out some ammo I loaded 25 years ago that had been sitting in my storage building in a cardboard box and it grouped fine.
Old December 27, 2012, 02:34 AM   #22
math teacher

Years ago Herters sold their Improved Military Bullet Sealer which was nothing but cheap red fingernail polish. Haven't used it in years as I haven't found it to be necessary.
Old December 27, 2012, 07:24 AM   #23
solocam72

I say if it makes you feel more peace at mind then by all means paint that sealer on til your hearts content!
Old December 27, 2012, 07:34 AM   #24
wyobohunter

I agree that it is not necessary but I still seal the little bit of ammo that goes into my survival (possibles) kit when hunting out there a ways. I figure I've only got 1/2 dozen cartridges in there depending on what gun I'm packing so it isn't too much trouble. I'd feel pretty silly if I had to spend a night or three with a hungry tummy because I refused to take an unecessary step. On the other hand, I'll never feel silly about spending more time at the reloading bench.
Old December 27, 2012, 11:09 AM   #25
Magnum Wheel Man

here & I thought I was the only one to "wash" their loaded cartridges...

... obviously by accident... mine have all fired normally so far... ( done it several times, with both pistol & rifle ammo )

BTW... I used red nail polish on the loads I stuck in my CAS gun belts, just because I don't know how long they'll be there, or what they'll get exposed to...

plus one on the not needed for wet hunting... 2 years ago deer hunting, it alternated between pouring rain, & sleeting all week... Contender engraving started getting fuzzy from moisture before the end of the week, but ammo all still functioned well