The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 10, 2012, 10:23 AM   #1
KZMAN

870 stock question

I have a Remington Wingmaster from 25 or so years ago. It is a short barreled version and is parkerized. The problem is, it doesn’t seem to fit me. With the shotgun up in the firing position, the stock feels fine, but the forearm is way too far out. My left hand seems to naturally reach to where the rails are, between the receiver and forearm. Does this mean my length of pull is too long? If I replace the stock with a shorter one, would this correct my left hand positioning to the forearm? I have been looking at the Knoxx (Blackhawk) M4 style stock without the recoil reduction system. Hoping that would be a simple fix.
Thanks!
Old November 10, 2012, 11:08 AM   #2
jmortimer

Yes it would correct the problem. I need a shorter LOP, around 12" to 13" for it to feel right. Stock is usually 14"
Old November 10, 2012, 11:12 AM   #3
Virginian

Critical length of pull is usually what is correct to get your eye in the right relative position relative to the gun, because with a shotgun your eye is the rear sight. I had a friend with the same problem you are having. He started out as a rifleman and could not get comfortable reaching out there. He eventually went to a semi auto. But, all that is for wingshooting.
You would have to do an awful lot of reducing the length of pull to move the fore end that far back.
Old November 13, 2012, 03:26 AM   #4
TheKlawMan

Does your 870 have a "tactical" fore arm. You can see an example of the "tactical" fore arm at http://www.remington.com/products/fi...-tactical.aspx

My 870 Express came with one so I got a "sport" style fore arm like the one depicted here http://www.remington.com/en/products...ic-18inch.aspx

The sport style comes back approximately 2 inches more than the tactical.

While I prefer the LE fore arm for home defense, when a smaller person wants to use it I put the Sport grip on so that they don't have to reach as far with their off hand. You might want to look into the forend on the cantilever model. Of course, I imagine that you have a wood stock that you would want to match.