The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 11, 2012, 11:30 AM   #1
stantheman1976

Cross Breed or N82?

I need to get a new holster for my SR9c. I bought a Mackenzie holster with combat cut but I'm not satisfied. I'm a large guy so the grip on my pistol rubs against my side carrying at about 4:00. I also notices that the metal on the inside of the holster is starting to rust.

So next week I'm getting one of those 2. The N82 I think would be more comfortable with the seuede backing and sweat guard but I'm not sure how well the single Clio holster carries a pistol that size.

Has anyone had direct experience with both and can speak from experience which would be better for a big guy.
Old July 12, 2012, 09:20 AM   #2
Madcap_Magician

I honestly don't think the N82 holster is a good design. It's only got the one clip, so retention doesn't seem very good to me. The clip is right on the bulkiest part of the holster, so it's not easier to conceal, and the sweat guard looks very comfortable, but also like it makes drawing much more awkward than a combat-cut Supertuck.
Old July 12, 2012, 05:36 PM   #3
Coach Z

I've got about five crossbreed holsters now for my guns ranging from tiny (ruger lcp) to big (1911) and they are incredibly well made and super comfy. Build quality is fantastic. Two week no hassle guarantee and lifetime warranty. You just can't beat them imho
Old July 12, 2012, 07:25 PM   #4
stantheman1976

Couple questions then. Are the fasteners holding down the kydex riveted or screwed? Which leather is supposed to be more comfortable and handle sweat better, cow or horse? And how's the texture on the reverse side? Do they smooth it out some?
Old July 14, 2012, 12:26 AM   #5
jerryt

You have probably already gotten your answers to these questions by now but in case you have not here are my thoughts. The kydex is riveted. Horsehide is better for absorbing sweat. It will cost you a few bucks for this also but i think it is worth it. The texture on the back is about as smooth as it gets. Hope this helps.