The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 13, 2008, 09:59 PM   #1
SPUSCG

handloading shotgun shells

im interested in getting a setup since ill be firing a lot of shells, and need to know hopw much equipment ill need and how much space it will take up, im a little limited on room
Old September 13, 2008, 11:48 PM   #2
Loader9

I've got three MECs and while they load great and are fairly quick, I prefer the Lee Load-All. It's slower but the ammo is better. It's also a very small unit. I keep mine in a normal sized kitchen cabinet with all of the goodies for 12 and 20 ga. it also works great if you ever decide to load slugs. This is what it looks like:
http://www.leeprecision.com/html/catalog/loadall.html

The unit is roughly 7" wide, 16" tall, and about 6" deep. I have mine screwed to a 1x 6 so I can clamp it down to the reloading bench. But if you need LOTS of ammo, the MECS work great too. I have 12 ga, 20 ga, and 410 MEC machines. Here's what they look like:
http://www.mecreloaders.com/ProductLine/650.asp
Old September 14, 2008, 06:16 AM   #3
.45 COLT

If you're going to load a lot of shells, I'd suggest a MEC. A 650, a Grabber or a 9000 all can crank out a lot of ammunition in a short time. I see used 650s, priced rright, on CRAIGSLIST quite frequently. The three are different, so you kind of have to have an idea of what you want before you buy. If you are going to load Steel shot, a MEC Steelmaster might be what you want. It's a little slower than the progressive presses, but it works very nice with Steel. The presses can be bolted to a piece of plywood and made portable. Set it up on the kitchen table when you want to load.

Not putting down the LEE LOAD-ALL. I still use one for 16 Gauge with no complaints except that it's slow.

Both MEC and LEE have their manuals online so you can read more about the product than you get from the advertising blurbs.

DC
Old September 15, 2008, 03:40 PM   #4
crowbeaner

I have 3 MECs; all are single stage. I prefer to load slower and inspect each hull as it goes through the stages on the machine. Mine are a 600 JR., a Versamec 700, and a Sizemaster. The SM has to be the best because it collet sizes the hull at the first station. The other 2 have the sizer ring. I love them; they all produce quality reloads and all parts interchange between the 3. You can save money if you reload, but with the $50 a bag that GM wants for Lawrence shot, the savings have dwindled somewhat. Imported shot is suspect as far as hardness, so if you want the best reloads, you have to use extra hard shot. I load all the way from 1 oz. to 1 1/2 oz. magnum 2 3/4" 12 gauge; all you need are the various components specified. FOLLOW THE BOOK! Don't substitute any of the components without checking the book. If you change one, you usually have to change something else.
Old September 15, 2008, 05:32 PM   #5
VaFisher

If you are going to load alot of shells look at the different progresive loaders until you find the one that looks best for you. I am looking now but haven't decided which is best for myself yet. Like the above post I have 3 single stage presses now all Mec and once set they just keep going like the battery commmercial.
Old September 15, 2008, 06:24 PM   #6
wild willy

I have 3 600 1 700 and a 9000 I'd say get a 600 if its not fast enough later get a progresive. you will always have a use for the 600.loading shells you only need a limited number of. punching the primers out of the mess ups on the progresive
Old September 15, 2008, 07:17 PM   #7
BigJimP

I use Mec 9000 HN ( hydraulic loaders ) for 12, 20, 28ga and .410 . MEC makes some of the finest loaders on the market - and they turn out great shells.

The 9000 HN series are great machines - but for 20 + years I loaded on a MEC Grabber model - bolted it to a 2" X 18" plank - clamped it to a portable workbench when I was loading - then put a pillow case over it and put it on a shelf in the garage.

The MEC Grabber is a good progressive machine - the 9000 GN is an upgrade I would recommend ( and still portable ). They will both turn out about 8 - 12 boxes an hour without a problem.

I know this is new stuff to you - but you need to settle on a specific hull ( you can't mix shotgun hulls, then you settle on a wad, a primer and a powder ) and you adjust / setup machine to turn out that specific hull with whatever load you want. You can't mix Remington STS and Winchester AA's or anything else into the mix. Your reloads need to be all low brass hulls - and 2 3/4" not 3" hulls.
Old September 19, 2008, 04:51 AM   #8
olddrum1

Ponsness Warren. Its a reloader that you can pass on to your grandkids. The down side is the cost. Two of the upsides is that it is not as choosey on hulls as a Mec and it is rebuildable.
Old September 21, 2008, 10:04 AM   #9
nitesite9

My MEC 650 and Sizemaster do quite well, and easily keep me ahead of the volume of ammunition I need.

Once you find a rhythm, the 650 can easily produce one completed shell every 10-seconds or so without feeling rushed. That's about four minutes to load a box of shells.

With the Sizemaster, I would guess maybe two shells per minute is fairly easy if you do it at a comfortable, almost leisurely, pace.

As for space, the loader's footprint is less than one square foot. Another square foot on both sides of it for empty hulls and wads should be sufficient, plus somewhere to place your finished shells as they come off the press.

Comparing the two machines, I cannot see one bit of difference in the quality or appearance of the shells I load. I stay exclusively with Rem STS/Nitro hulls and both machines were set up from the factory perfectly, so I had to perform no tweaks of my own.

The Sizemaster, as mentioned previously, has the added ability to size the brass or steel base.

And speaking of rhythm, it does take a while to get it in your head so expect some mistakes and spills when first starting out. It's all just part of it, especially at the beginning.

STS and Nitro are selling for $7.74 in my area, so figuring that factory stuff is over $8 per box with tax I still save money. The Federal and Winchester 100-ct sells for $25.96 which converts to $6.50/box plus tax for really crappy ammunition.

Hard shot (commonly called magnum shot) is now down to around $40/bag delivered. Soft shot is not really much cheaper, and reclaimed shot which is harvested from off the ground won't get you the best long-range patterns.

Loading your own is fun and you'll be really proud of the excellent ammo you did yourself.