The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 21, 2008, 10:34 PM   #1
blackpowderpistolpa

Hi there everyone ..

I'm new to the forum here and I just wanted to say "Hi" and how very impressed I am with what I have discovered here. Wow .. what a resource for ANYONE who has even the vaguest interest in "things guns".

Handguns (with the exception of black powder firearms) are unobtainable in New Zealand unless you are a permitted collector or a member of a pistol club. Rifles and shotguns (even airguns) require some form of permitting - varying depending on the type of weapon you want to own.

I developed an interest in guns from a very early age (as most boys do) and in my early years enjoyed going bush hunting game - wild goat and wild pig, wild rabbit, pheasant etc. But my real love was handguns .. and as I've said .. virtually unobtainable to the average guy on the street.

I recall a now deceased great-aunt having a nickel plated mid 1870's 5 shot S & W .32 up on the farm, (her late father's) which she kept snucked away under her pillow at night for protection - and my Dad telling me how as young lads they used to go pinch it to shoot shags of the nearby wharf. That would have been interesting to watch! I wonder how many they hit.

My step grand-dad was to also introduce me to a most fascinating box lock turnover percussion black powder pistol which he found buried on his farm in the far north of the country. I won't go into the detail of that here but have an account of it on my blog. I'm left to conject whether it may have been used in the battle by the British forces against the Maori at nearby Ruapekapeka Pa in 1845-46. I suspect the pistol was manufactured some time between 1820-1840 - maybe of English or French origin. Some time I will try and get a photo posted up here.

Anyway - great to be a part of this awesome forum .. I figure as someone now looking to indulge my interest in black powder pistols that this will be a great place to revisit.
Old August 21, 2008, 10:55 PM   #2
Fingers McGee

Welcome to the forum.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old August 21, 2008, 11:34 PM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

Another welcome to this forum.
Old August 21, 2008, 11:49 PM   #4
Smokin_Gun

blackpowderpistolpa, Welcome to the forum...you can for the most part live any BP C&B from Gettysburg to Tombstone and all in between, right from your monitor.
I know of a couple three Pards travel from OZ, Uk, Germany, to the Wild West out here in the Mojave Desert and shoot or buy or both and return to there home land after a nice Cowboy Shooters Vacation.
If ever here I got plenty to shoot, always have a pot a coffee on the fire. Stop in my camp ifin you have the mind to.

SG

Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php
Old August 22, 2008, 04:40 AM   #5
Hawg

Welcome. Pull up a stump and set a spell.
Old August 22, 2008, 07:15 AM   #6
Ace On The Line

welcome
Old August 22, 2008, 07:32 AM   #7
Raider2000

Welcome aboard, Have a cup of our finest Jo & sit a spell.
Old August 22, 2008, 07:44 PM   #8
Hawg

Quote:
Welcome aboard, Have a cup of our finest Jo & sit a spell
Now wait a minute. He's going to have to earn the good stuff.
Old August 22, 2008, 09:59 PM   #9
Raider2000

Well OK but I've already made a pot.
Old August 22, 2008, 10:02 PM   #10
Hawg

Well in that case pass it around.
Old August 24, 2008, 05:47 PM   #11
blackpowderpistolpa

Gee ..- guys .. now that's real neigborly ..

.. and Smokin_Gun I just want to say 'Thanks pard' .. I just may take you up on that some day .. I'll be cruisin' by from time to time ..

Tags
black powder firearms , black powder pistol , handguns , percussion black powder , revolver