The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 23, 2012, 02:49 PM   #1
rickyjames

red dot scope vs reflex sight

I'm new to these types of sights. i am considering either a tube type red dot or a reflex type sight for a flat top 223 ar. for those that have this type of set ups i was wondering the advantages of each. the traditional tube type red dot would seem more durable while the reflex would seem to be faster to aquire your target. i am leaning towards the reflex but any advice would be appreciated. thanks.
Old September 24, 2012, 09:30 AM   #2
Yung.gunr

I dunno if you have made your decision already based on your other thread, but I don't like the tube style red dots. I don't understand where they would be better then a reflex set up. My brother had a Bushnell tube red dot on his AR for a couple months and ended up having me sell it for him. When I shot it I hated it. With that specific model it seemed that you had to sight in each reticle style (it had like four styles) so that's a lot of time and money to sight each one in.

To me the tube style is good for if you want magnification for longer distances. The reflex style is the way to go if you want shorter distances (I can still reach out to 100 yards or further with my eyes) and if you want faster target acquisition and wider field of view.

Really I can't find any redeeming qualities in the tube style red dot. If someone has some please let me know so that I can be more informed.
Old September 24, 2012, 05:52 PM   #3
g.willikers

If the dot quits working, the tube type can still be an effective aiming device.
Old September 25, 2012, 02:05 PM   #4
Yung.gunr

Yeah, I guess that is true. But, when you have co witnessed your irons or have a quick release sight mount you would not need that either. Ehhh... (shrugging shoulders).
Old September 25, 2012, 03:00 PM   #5
rickyjames

on the red dot sights, i have seen 20, 30, 40, 42 and 50 mm scope sizes. it would seem the wider the sight picture the easier it would be to use the sight. to me it seems a 40 mm would be better than a 30mm. am i correct?