The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 12, 2013, 03:15 PM   #26
JWT

I alway thought .45 recoil would be noticeable. Once I started buying 1911's and shooting them regularly I found the recoil to be quite unremarkable.
Old January 13, 2013, 08:23 AM   #27
Ozzieman

Have you ever compared

Then you’re saying that if you shoot a revolver which doesn’t have a slide with the same caliber round its recoil is ALMOST non-extistent? I will agree that recoil is different due to the slide action delaying the pressure felt by the hand but equal and opposite reaction is the law.
And I have fired air and spring rifles. The one that had the least recoil was a double spring system where two springs bring two pistons together. Each spring works against each other and cancels any movement of the gun.
Which does prove your point, but the statement that the recoil it's not there when the slide is locked back VS when is allowed to cycle?

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.

Last edited by Ozzieman; January 13, 2013 at 08:48 AM.
Old January 13, 2013, 10:26 AM   #28
B.L.E.

Quote:
Then you’re saying that if you shoot a revolver which doesn’t have a slide with the same caliber round its recoil is ALMOST non-extistent?
If you are referring to my post comparing springer recoil to pneumatic recoil, I never claimed that the revolver was recoil free.
I own a Smith & Wesson model 41 in .22 LR and also a couple of revolvers in the same caliber. There is certainly recoil when I shoot the revolvers, it just feels totally different than the auto-pistol recoil.

I have also shot someone else's recoilless spring air rifle but instead of using a counterpiston, it simply had the action mounted on a rail allowing the action to recoil independently of the stock, similar to a modern artillary piece.

I have often wondered why the artillary recoil absorption system isn't used in large caliber rifles or trap shotguns. The recoil will still be there but the impulse would be spread out over time, giving the shoulder a long push instead of a short punch.