The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 14, 2009, 04:55 PM   #1
tpareloader

Questions on casting basics...

Hey guys I'm interested in getting into casting .40 pistol bullets. I have a lead supplier but what else do I need as far as equipment goes?

From what I have read I need...

A bottom pour lead melting device..
A luber/sizer or some other sizing device...
Plumbers tin to make alloys...
An ingot cast to store excess lead...
Gloves...
Ladle...
Paraffin wax to flux the lead...
A .401 mold...
A crucible to put swag lead in?

Also what is the deal with the caps that go on the bottom of the bullet do I need these for pistol bullets?

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. I can't wait to get started.
Old June 14, 2009, 05:03 PM   #2
Daniel964

Spend some time at these sites. Loads of information about casting.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/

http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletAlloy.htm
Old June 14, 2009, 06:53 PM   #3
longranger

Buy yourself the Lyman casting book and read it. You are missing a lead thermometer, a most critical tool for casting bullets that will shoot.The caps you are referring to are gas checks for hard lead cast bullets and smokeless powder in excess of 1400-2200 fps.Some magnum pistol bullets need gas checks,if a bullet has a bevel at the base it is meant to have a gas check.Gas checks seal the bore before the bullet oburtates in the forcing cone.Hard cast bullets do not obturate as easily as soft lead to fill the bore and seal in gases.
A well cast bullet will shoot with jacketed bullets given the consideration of the best components for both.
Old June 14, 2009, 10:15 PM   #4
tpareloader

Wow, thats a lot of info! But I should have plenty of time to digest it before I begin casting. Thanks for the links and book suggestions. I'll be sure to post pics and stories of how it went.
Old June 14, 2009, 11:30 PM   #5
snuffy

Quote:
Some magnum pistol bullets need gas checks,if a bullet has a bevel at the base it is meant to have a gas check.Gas checks seal the bore before the bullet obturates in the forcing cone.Hard cast bullets do not obturate as easily as soft lead to fill the bore and seal in gases.
Not quite accurate info. There are bevel base bullets, the base has an angle on it's base. A bullet made to take a gas check has a rebated base, allowing the gas check to be seated, then sized with the rest of the bullet. The main thing a gas check does is protect the base of the boolit from the hot gasses from burning lots of slow burning magnum handgun powder. The sharp front edge also acts as a scraper to remove fouling on it's trip down the bore.

This is a gas checked bullet.

This is a bevel base bullet.

Notice the angle on the base, it's there for ease in loading. Less chance of lead shaving while loading.

Quote:
A bottom pour lead melting device..Term is furnace or melter.
A luber/sizer or some other sizing device...Not necessary if you get the lee tumble lube boolits, and use the Lee Liquid Alox.
Plumbers tin to make alloys...It takes more than just tin to make alloys. Tin will help with mold fill-out and lower the melting point. it does not harden much, certainly not enough to make hardball alloy.
An ingot cast to store excess lead...Ingot molds can be bought from most places selling casting supplies. You can use muffin tins found at thrift stores. Make sure they're NOT made with tin coated steel, the lead will solder to the muffin tins.
Gloves... Get some welding gloves.
Ladle...Only if you plan on melting your lead source into ingots. Better to not use the furnace you will cast boolits with. Crud in lead will clog the bottom pour spout.
Paraffin wax to flux the lead...Any carbon based material. Even using a DRY wood stick to stir. Let it char, the carbon is what cleans the melt.
A .401 mold...By all means!
A crucible to put swag lead in? Don't know what you mean by crucible? Unless you mean a separate pot to melt lead for making ingots. A 6 quart dutch oven works great heated by a turkey fryer, or other heat source.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old June 15, 2009, 07:46 AM   #6
JCS1

Questions on casting basics.

Ventilation, make sure you have plenty of ventilation. The other factor is water and lead don't mix. Make sure no sweat or water enters the lead supply. Safety glasses are another factor.

Gas check should not be needed on 40 S&W do to speed is less than 1200 fps. If your lead is hard enough it shouldn't be a problem. When you order your bullet mould is when you decide to use gas checks or not. The mould has to be made to accept gas checks. Also if you order a gas check mould you will need to put the bullet through a resizer. When you run it through a resizer it clamps the gas check on the bullet.
Hope that helps and good luck.
Once you get it right it will be worth it.
I miss my wife but my aim is getting better.
Old June 15, 2009, 08:04 AM   #7
tpareloader

Thanks for the clarification. I can't wait to set up my goodies. Gotta finish with my research first though .. read twice cast once or something to that effect.