The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 7, 2017, 11:26 PM   #1
Carmike

Squirrels with 17hmr?

Hello all,

I'm thinking about buying a gun from a friend...long story short: I am working on building a little collection, my friend needs the money (living on social security after going bankrupt because his gunshop folded), and I'll get a fair price. *But* I don't just want to buy a "fun gun"...I'd like something with a practical use as well.

The options to choose from are a Mossberg 17hmr, a single-shot 410, a fancy-ish Ruger 10/22 with an expensive stock, and a Ruger Mini-14. I already have an AR, so the Mini doesn't make much sense to me at this point. I'm also not that interested in the 410 at the moment. I have a Marlin Model 60 that shoots as well as I do, so the 10/22 isn't a priority, plus I'd like to have the gun out in the woods with me, and I don't want to worry about getting a squirrel and rabbit gun banged up.

So, that leaves me with the 17hmr. I do have a Model 60 for plinking and small-game hunting, but would the new gun add much that I'm not getting with the 22lr? I assume it'd have more range, but I also don't want to be wasting meat by blowing up half a squirrel if I hit a little far back.

Any feedback greatly appreciated!
Old February 8, 2017, 03:40 AM   #2
Scorch

If you intend to eat the squirrels, the 17HMR will ruin a lot of meat, even with head shots.
Old February 8, 2017, 08:04 AM   #3
Mobuck

The Grandsons have shot several squirrels using my 17HMR since it's the only rifle I have with the short stock option. For our use the hindquarters and back are the only edible parts and head or front shoulder shots don't seem to mess those parts up too much. I use CCI Green ammo in that rifle so gotta look close for slivers/pieces of bullet.

"wasting meat by blowing up half a squirrel if I hit a little far back"

Absolutely, yes it will.
Old February 8, 2017, 08:17 AM   #4
David R

Once I took a 17 HMR squirrel hunting, I decided it's the only caliber to use. Just make head shots.

David
Old February 8, 2017, 10:40 AM   #5
Scout

It's a bit much in my opinion. The 17 Mach 2 is perfect. Unfortunately, not much ammunition available.
Old February 8, 2017, 04:53 PM   #6
Dimner

I have alot of experience with Squirrels and the 17HMR.

My opinion is that, for the places I hunt, the 17HMR is a great option for squirrel hunting in open areas and/or late fall when most of the leaves have fallen.

Bullet choice is the main thing to consider though. Without the proper bullet, you will have no meat or you will have way too many crippled squacks that you have to run after.

Bottom line? CCI gamepoint rounds are great on Squirrel. They really knock them down. The good part is they don't explode the little critter like the V-Max or TNT rounds do.

I did try some CCI FMJs on squirrel. Really bad results. I had a couple of squacks that I had to run down and thwap with my squirrel stick because the FMJ didn't do anything to them other then poke a hole. I figured it was just my bad shooting. Case in point:

At the end of a day of hunting with FMJs, I saw this big black squirrel just perfectly standing on a horizontal branch. I wanted to make sure to make a perfect shot because I had been having so much trouble with crippled squirrels and me running after them. So, I lined up my shot nice and calm, standing off hand about 40 yards. Aimed for the head, pulled the trigger.

The squirrel was knocked about 8 feet further away from me and dropped the 25 feet to the ground. Then that little bugger started running away from me!

I chased him down, about 50 yards as I was huffing and puffing. Had him cornered but I found that I lost my favorite squirrel thumper. So while grabbing for the nearest suitable stick, he scurries off again. 25 more yards running and then I'm playing ring around the oak tree with this squirrel. I finally whap him and curse these darn FMJs.

I really thought FMJs would be great on squirrel, but nope. Autopsy reveals that it just poked a .17 cal hole right at the neck near the skull. I missed the spinal cord, but no shock damage did anything other than slow him down some so I could run after him.

I immediately switched to gamepoints that I had in my shooting pouch. I creep to another spot and sit on a log an catch my breath. 15 minutes later, another black squirrel on the ground at about 30 yards. I raise up, aim, and shoot. Only to see the squirrel had moved a bit. DANG IT ALL! I know i hit it. what's up with this bionic squirrels!!! Take aim again and shoot and it's down.

Go survey the prey and I found out gamepoints work PERFECTLY. There are two dead squirrels 2 feet from each other.
Old February 9, 2017, 11:07 PM   #7
Carmike

thanks for the great replies, everyone. I am picking the gun up tomorrow, so I did decide to buy it, and I'm heartened by the responses that let me know I have a practical gun as well as a plinker. I'll definitely take the advice about the appropriate rounds.
Old February 10, 2017, 01:25 AM   #8
alex0535

If you'd like an idea of what devestation the little 17 grain v-max can do to a squirrel. Check out the link but fair warning, It's pretty graphic. His front leg was found about 10 feet away from what was left of him. Shot from about 20 yards away. Large chunk of spine and brain stem just gone leaving a hole large enough to see through.

That's almost worst case scenario other than hitting hind quarter or losing an injured one. At the time I was controlling varmints over hunting food so headshots werent high priority, aimed for vitals at an upward angle. It's plenty accurate to hit them in the head with though.

It's a great caliber for squirrel hunting though, most dont end up like this one even with a behind the shoulder shot through the ribs. But if you're eating them, aim for the head.

http://oi47.tinypic.com/b5lcth.jpg