The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 5, 2012, 12:48 AM   #1
Eagle Eye

Need help with a concealment holster

I would like to find a cc holster for carry either on the belt or IWB in the right side kidney area. I saw a belted one in a recent email recently but have accidentally deleted it. It looked like it reached from one belt loop to the next, so that pressure was spread out. Gun stores I have visited have nothing like it. It is apparently a fairly new product.

I need one that will give good retention but easy release and that will position handgun in the grip up position. The barrel should be nearly horizontal. This is due to some shoulder pain when reaching around back. I can pull without pain when pulling horizontally and outboard.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Pix or links would also be helpful.

Handgun is Glock 17 (don't beat me up). I might also be interested in one for Taurus TCP 380, but I normally can pocket carry that one.

I have looked online at FOBUS Roto holster and do not quite understand the retention and release, nor do I understand the pros and cons of paddle versus belt. It looks like I can get both adapters. Comments?

Many thanks,
Old February 5, 2012, 01:36 AM   #2
WildBill45

Is this what you mean?

http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/

"If Ands and Buts were Candy and Nuts, everyday would be like Christmas"
Old February 5, 2012, 06:58 AM   #3
Mrgunsngear

IMO, crossbreed, theis, comp tac, kingtuk, ect... are all VERY similar and are all great holsters. I'd get the one with the best price and save money for ammo----Theis. I have all of the holsters listed above and my theis holsters are as good as any of them.
Old February 5, 2012, 07:49 AM   #4
excelerater

I started using a n82tactical
and now my Tuck/cross style is in the closet
Old February 5, 2012, 08:08 AM   #5
Eagle Eye

The one that I saw actually put the gun horizontal, barrel pointed to my left hip, grip straight up.....wish I knew the maker so I could find one. The email said it was a new product. Hope someone can help me find it. Thanks.
Old February 5, 2012, 03:22 PM   #6
bfskinnerpunk

I just ordered a comp-tac M-tac IWB holster from Brownells.

I've never worn a gun tucked into my pants, so this will be new for me. I'm not so sure I'll be able to tolerate it, but I'm giving it a try.

Honestly, I would guess that I would prefer a shoulder harness. I'll go to a gun show an try some out. My idea is to wear a snug t-shirt, and then put the shoulder holster on top of that ... followed by a baggy shirt.

I got the m-tac holster because it will hold my long a short barrel glocks (in 40 and 9mm)... and if I want to buy one for my large frame glock (21), I can just buy the gun holster part. Also, the m-tac seems to be one of the better reviewed holsters (along with the one's mentioned above).

Anyway, I'll tell you how I like it... it should be here in a few days.
Old February 5, 2012, 05:54 PM   #7
hlds54

Crossbreed homie
Old February 5, 2012, 05:59 PM   #8
ScotchMan

Crossbreed won't work for what he's asking, he wants to pull outwards instead of upwards, with the gun riding at a 90 degree angle to what is normally the case. I think.

Not sure what to recommend. For holsters, I use a Crossbreed Supertuck, and just ordered a Raven Phantom for my HK45. Raven is very customizable, I think you can rotate it to any position, and they are extremely secure. Check them out.

ravenconcealment.com
Old February 5, 2012, 06:11 PM   #9
Eagle Eye

ScotchMan got it right. Pull out, not up. OWB holster is about the 5:00 position. Barrel is pointed left. Grip is straight up or nearly so. Pull is nearly straight out to the right. I have received an email for a product like this, but have accidentally lost the email. I am hoping someone else may have received the same email and will reply here. Or perhaps there is another similar product.
Old February 5, 2012, 08:59 PM   #10
Mrgunsngear

I know Theis and crossbreeds are adjustable so you can vary the cant. Vertical is do-able.
Old February 5, 2012, 09:43 PM   #11
Eagle Eye

Thanks for the link. Horizontal is what I am looking for. Like the line below:

I do not think the Crossbreed and Theis will rotate that far. I know the Fobus Roto will, but I am seriously looking for the brand name of the one in the email that I misplaced. Surely I am not the only gun nut that received that email. It said this was a new product. This has been within 2 months.

Help!
Old February 5, 2012, 11:49 PM   #12
armoredman

That's the old Galco SOB rig.
Old February 6, 2012, 12:08 AM   #13
Eagle Eye

armored man:

No it is not. The one that I am seeking has a support band that is twice as wide -- it reaches all the way from belt loop to belt loop. I do not think it was leather -- I believe it was all synthetic. And it has a thumb release strap that secures the gun. The email announced it as a new product. Darn....I wish I had not trashed the email.

The Galco rig looks promising, so I will keep it in mind (along with the Fobus roto). I invite comments on either of these, for they both look like good ones.

But, if anyone received the email about the new item, please post or message me.

Thanks to everyone for responding. I know you are trying hard to get me lined up, and it looks like I may need to purchase one of these two. But I sure would like to find the other one to compare.
Old February 6, 2012, 01:24 AM   #14
Nathan

I too think you are looking at somebodies SOB design. It maybe new to the maker, but not new. Try a Google Image Search for SOB.
Old February 6, 2012, 01:39 AM   #15
Sturmgewehre

I think people will like the new Raven Vanguard 2. I've been carrying one now for over a week and it's awesome for comfort and concealment.

Old February 6, 2012, 07:34 AM   #16
Nordeste

Sturmgewehre:

I saw your review on the Raven Phantom and it's clear to me that it will be the holster I'll purchase for my future G19. This other option looks interesting enough for warmer months, only concern is how easy is it to reholster.

Could you post another pic of the right side of the holster, the one with the belt loop on?.

Thanks in advance
Old February 6, 2012, 09:50 AM   #17
ScotchMan

I ordered a Raven Phantom but am now considering cancelling it and getting a Bravo or Crown copy of it instead. 16-18 weeks is a long time to wait.
Old February 6, 2012, 09:55 AM   #18
arkieron

An SOB for a 17 would about reach from belt loop to belt loop, based on my Govt. model. There are more companies other than Galco making these. Not too comfortabe when you sit down, but very comfortable walking or standing.
Old February 26, 2012, 08:43 PM   #19
Paragon

I love my Vanguard II. This is the best appendix carry holster I've work, as the gun can find a spot where it "fits" when seated, soemthing most other holsters don't allow.

Last edited by Paragon; February 26, 2012 at 08:49 PM.

Tags
concealed carry holsters , fobus , holster , iwb holster