The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 21, 2021, 05:15 PM   #1
HighValleyRanch

Ruger 3" LCRX .38 Spl. +P

I call it my super lightweight 38/44 because it can handle the hottest .38 special loads all the way up to 415 foot pounds ME.
FWIW, Buffalo Bore Outdoorsman +P chronographed out of this LCRX 158 grain at 1079 fps. Out of a 3" barrel pretty close to the original 38/44 specs of 158 grain at 1150 out of a six inch barrel.
It's my EDC around the ranch doing chores, working in the woods, etc. So light that it's a joy to carry.

Some people would call it ugly, but it sure shoots BEAUTIFUL groups!
After replacing the stock front sight with a HiViz red fiber optic, I went down to the field to sight it in. First two shots at 5 yards were dead center in the green tape bull. Walked back to ten yards and the next six shots were in a tight group, then walked back to fifteen yards and took a couple more shots and it was still centered. My target reloads with 3.5 trailboss, 158 grain RN lead. Standing off hand all shots double action. 1.75 inch group, ten shots. I've shot this gun testing my reloads, but have not shot at a paper target in over a year! This makes me want to shoot it some more. I love the new FO sights!

The other mod I just did was to grind down the Hogue Tamer grips as much as possible. I used a coarse sanding disk on a fixed mandrel to take it down and a 3/4 sanding drum to smooth out and take a bunch off by the finger guard. Then I hand sanded down and stipple back out with a wood burner tip. In this photo you can see how narrow it is now. But I left the cushion, so that I can shoot hot loads.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010507.JPG (325.7 KB, 1318 views)
File Type: jpg P1010504.JPG (302.2 KB, 1281 views)
File Type: jpg P1010506.JPG (356.6 KB, 1272 views)

Last edited by HighValleyRanch; May 21, 2021 at 06:52 PM.
Old May 21, 2021, 05:19 PM   #2
HighValleyRanch

Here's a better side view of the modified Hogue tamers. The length was cut down as well, but is still 3 finger hold for my medium size hands. The hold down screw is modified from an allen head 8/32 screw so that I can attach a lanyard.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Modified Hogue Tamers.jpg (387.3 KB, 1231 views)
Old May 21, 2021, 07:49 PM   #3
Carl the Floor Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighValleyRanch View Post
Here's a better side view of the modified Hogue tamers. The length was cut down as well, but is still 3 finger hold for my medium size hands. The hold down screw is modified from an allen head 8/32 screw so that I can attach a lanyard.
Nice!
Old May 21, 2021, 09:22 PM   #4
Paul105

Love it!
Old May 22, 2021, 10:34 AM   #5
Carl the Floor Walker

I love my LCR9mm and LCR22. And looking at that LCRX of yours makes me want one in 3". Nice revolver for sure. I know it is a lot of fun. I bet it is a great shooter. Nothing like a small revolver. Congrats!
Old May 22, 2021, 10:40 AM   #6
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighValleyRanch View Post
I call it my super lightweight 38/44 because it can handle the hottest .38 special loads all the way up to 415 foot pounds ME.
FWIW, Buffalo Bore Outdoorsman +P chronographed out of this LCRX 158 grain at 1079 fps. Out of a 3" barrel pretty close to the original 38/44 specs of 158 grain at 1150 out of a six inch barrel.
It's my EDC around the ranch doing chores, working in the woods, etc. So light that it's a joy to carry.
Got myself an LCRx earlier this year. Like it just fine. The design seems very well thought out, and executed. Would not mind, at all, a 3" version for carry.

Quote:
Some people would call it ugly, but it sure shoots BEAUTIFUL groups!
After replacing the stock front sight with a HiViz red fiber optic,
I intend to, sometime soon, a replacement front sight, probably a tritium night sight.

Quote:
I went down to the field to sight it in. First two shots at 5 yards were dead center in the green tape bull. Walked back to ten yards and the next six shots were in a tight group, then walked back to fifteen yards and took a couple more shots and it was still centered. My target reloads with 3.5 trailboss, 158 grain RN lead. Standing off hand all shots double action. 1.75 inch group, ten shots. I've shot this gun testing my reloads, but have not shot at a paper target in over a year! This makes me want to shoot it some more. I love the new FO sights!
(Note to self, dot torture with the LCR, sometime soon.)

Quote:
The other mod I just did was to grind down the Hogue Tamer grips as much as possible.
Grip preference is, of course, very individual. I'm quite OK with the stock Hogue grips, either the finger groove boot grip or the longer grooveless grip like you modified. That's unusual. I usually don't like Hogue rubber grips, and usually find revolver grips out of the box lacking. I don't anticipate I'll change it out unless I get a lasergrip.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "

Last edited by lee n. field; May 22, 2021 at 01:05 PM.
Old May 22, 2021, 11:31 AM   #7
stinkeypete

I love mine.
I can’t see why these don’t sell like hot cakes, they are nearly perfect for my woods-bumming purposes.

With stout .38 Special +p loads, the “ugly” grips become quite beautiful after a box of that ammo goes down range. The light pistol puts quite a smack in to the hand, I really can feel the grip material easing the pain. Small, light, powerful, weather resistant, inexpensive enough that I don’t cringe dropping it in my hunting or fishing vest pocket... fairly accurate and very reliable.. is it perfect?

No, not perfect. Would I buy a 4” LCRX in .327 Fed Mag and shoot .32 level H&R level loads out of it? TAKE MY MONEY!

I like what the OP has done to the grips! It serves his purpose!

Me, I was thinking to make some pretty wood “ladysmith” style grips for mine. As I shot it more and went home with a buzzing paw a few times, those hogue grips now beautiful to me. So do target load .38 wadcutters. Ya pay a price for that fantastic light weight in your mitten. It’s worth it!
Old May 22, 2021, 02:11 PM   #8
9x19

I'm another fan, and I also get along well with the as-issued grip.

I have the 3" LCRX in all four cartridges but the .38 is my favorite of the bunch.
Old May 25, 2021, 03:55 PM   #9
HighValleyRanch

I got a chuckle yesterday when I found a review on the Smith 360PD, notorious for being painful shooting full house magnums. The guy in the video, LEO was boasting about how he shot full house magnums through his without any problems.
Speer Gold Dot Short barrel magnums, 125 grain GD rated at 1100 fps out of his gun.

I'm shooting 158 grain BB HC at 1079 out this LCRX, so I guess mine is a magnum too!
Old July 18, 2021, 07:52 AM   #10
Mr. Tettnanger

I sure wish that I could find one!

I have been looking for a 357 version for a long time!

I had the 22LR version and sold it off. I sort of regret that now.
Old July 18, 2021, 08:36 AM   #11
Carl the Floor Walker

Nice!! High Valley. While I had not planned on any more buying of firearms, all my center fires just do not get out much these days and I am shooting mostly 22.cal as a way to satisfy my Addiction. Since I have the LCR9mm and the LCR22 is my favorite Plinker/Trainers, I am seriously considering the LCRX 3" in 22. I have developed this fun time of shooting clays at 50 yds and now want to expand.
Thanks for sharing. What a great Gun, Congrats!
Old August 10, 2021, 08:07 PM   #12
dgludwig

I've been looking for an LCRX, chambered in .327 Magnum, for a long time and finally spotted one at the Olde English gun shop, just north of Dayton, Ohio. I would much prefer a 3" barreled revolver in this chambering but I didn't investigate any further as to what length the barrel was (last I checked, the .327 was not available with a 3" barrel) because I thought the price was a little rich at $629.99. Or is that the going rate for this gun?
Old August 10, 2021, 08:55 PM   #13
HighValleyRanch

These days, a good price is what you are willing to pay even if you could find one. Can't ncecessarily go by the MSRP any more.
I believe the .327's are hard to find.
It's not made in the 3" length. Probably will be made the day you buy the shorter version!LOL
Old August 10, 2021, 11:43 PM   #14
dgludwig

Quote:
It's not made in the 3" length. Probably will be made the day you buy the shorter version!LOL
Yep! It's clear that you have a good understanding as to how this old world works.
Old August 11, 2021, 11:26 AM   #15
Mulebuk Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgludwig View Post
I thought the price was a little rich at $629.99. Or is that the going rate for this gun?

That's a fair price, once in awhile you'll see them for around $550 on sale. But that's been a couple years now.
Once you shoot an LCR you'll never own another revolver again

Finest trigger out of the box ever produce. (except for the .22 versions)

I've own two of them, the original .38 when it first came out and then later the little blaster in .357.

The Ruger LCR is what Michelangelo was to the Sistine Chapel.
Many are called but few are chosen as they say.
Old August 11, 2021, 11:50 AM   #16
Carl the Floor Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulebuk Mojo View Post
That's a fair price, once in awhile you'll see them for around $550 on sale. But that's been a couple years now.

Finest trigger out of the box ever produce. (except for the .22 versions)

I've own two of them, the original .38 when it first came out and then later the little blaster in .357.

The Ruger LCR is what Michelangelo was to the Sistine Chapel.
Many are called but few are chosen as they say

Except for 22's? I agree, the 22. cal LCR is a stronger trigger but Still a great trigger. In fact as far as 22.cal's go, MY ALL TIME FAVORITE is the LCR22 DAO. Has turned out to not only be fun, but a truly awesome Trainer/Practice/Plinker. Thank Gosh I have one. It has really keep my point and shoot skills honed since the shortage.
One is interesting is that will all the fads and gimmicks on the market now the LCR snubbie is still so Popular. I love to shoot the 22.cal. At the end of standard drills we love to take a bunch of Clay's and set out the the 50 yd Bern and just sit back and have some good ole fun.
I recently acquired another Micro 9mm which I will be trading. (Do not like it as much as the one's I own) I have been thinking of what to trade for and yep, I think another LCR is in the future. 22.cal 3" LCRX or a 327 to go along with my 9mm LCR.

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; August 11, 2021 at 12:00 PM.
Old August 11, 2021, 07:14 PM   #17
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulebuk Mojo View Post
Hyperbole, surely. Since buying my LCRx, I've bought one Taurus, and am seriously contemplating another.

It (the LCR) is a pretty refined design.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "

Last edited by lee n. field; August 12, 2021 at 07:29 AM.
Old August 11, 2021, 07:59 PM   #18
bedbugbilly

Very nice! Fits the criteria for a good carry pistol on a farm or ranch - accurate, lightweight and reliable.

I had a 357 LCR before any of theses came out. I tried 357 in it once but it hammered my hands to much so carried it with 38s. I sold it and bought two S & W Model 36 revolvers - a snub and a 3". I only mention that because I really like the 3" as it carries so well - I carried it all the time on the farm - a great critter gun.

I like what you have done with yours and I would think the Hi Viz front sight would be just the berries. You are a bad influence - I'm going Mohave to see if I can find one - always room for a new wheel gun!

Thanks for sharing and enjoy! She looks like a "keeper"!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63