The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 16, 2018, 08:21 AM   #1
Road_Clam

Rifle-Stocks 99% finishing questions

Hey gents,
I have a Rifle-Stocks Prone Culbertson stock on order and I should have it in a month or so. The inlet will be for the Savage Palma 3 screw action and I would like some experienced feedback on what I need to do to finish the inlet. I do cnc machining, so pretty dam good with my hands, although minimal woodworking experience. If you could outline the basic progressive steps to finish so I have an idea of what i'm getting into that would be awesome, thanks in advance ! Here's a link to the stock :

http://www.rifle-stocks.com/proneculbertson.htm
Old December 16, 2018, 09:39 AM   #2
weaselfire

Usually small chisel, rasp and sandpaper at most.

Jeff

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Old December 16, 2018, 03:40 PM   #3
F. Guffey

Road Clam I ordered two stocks from Richards Microfit. I received two clubs.

F. Guffey
Old December 18, 2018, 11:20 AM   #4
T. O'Heir

"...small chisel, rasp and sandpaper at most..." More like just the sand paper. Plus layout dye or the like. You're basically fitting the stock to the metal by sanding down any high spots found with the dye.
Read this. http://www.treebonecarving.com/how-t...-gunstock.html
CNC machining skills aren't the same thing.
Old December 18, 2018, 04:10 PM   #5
Scorch

Having used dozens of Richards Microfit stocks over the past 30 years, I will tell you it will take more than a few chisels and some sandpaper to fit the action to the stock, but the stocks are not clubs either. Richards Microfit stocks are not finished stocks, they are pre-carved stock blanks, and as such are not as difficult to deal with as a stock blank (a roughly rifle stock-shaped piece of wood), but will require some serious work to inlet, shape and finish.
Old December 18, 2018, 08:39 PM   #6
Road_Clam

Seems opinions are all over the place. I'm not afraid of patient finish work. I watched a good vid by Midway's Larry P. and he quote's "Finishing a 99% stock is 99% of the work".
Old December 19, 2018, 10:19 AM   #7
F. Guffey

Quote:
I will tell you it will take more than a few chisels and some sandpaper to fit the action to the stock, but the stocks are not clubs either
There is a remote chance the stocks being sold today are not clubs when compared to 90% finished stocks but you did not see what they sold me. And then there is the rest of the story; who knows? Richards could not stay in business and continue to sell junk.

I will not kiss up to anyone just to be their friend; which made up an interesting story. The story got interesting when a group aske me to loan them some money: they said I would be their friend if I loaned them some money. I told them if I had to lend to be a friend then friendship comes to high.

F. Guffey
Old December 21, 2018, 01:07 AM   #8
Colorado Redneck

I bought 4 Richards stocks. 2 were pretty easy to fit the action in. One was a tussle but over a few weeks (with days off due to being discouraged or ticked off) I got it fit and finished. The 4th one was unusable. It was cut wrong, and would have never worked. The bolt slot was too far back, and it had bad wood. It got returned. If you are patient, you will likely end up with a good product. There is a learning curve, so hang in there.
Old December 21, 2018, 09:20 AM   #9
4V50 Gary
Staff

Inletting black or it its absence, smoke it.
Old December 23, 2018, 06:39 PM   #10
F. Guffey

Quote:
Seems opinions are all over the place.
I have 5 tools with extra cutters for cutting barrel channels. The stocks I received from Richards did not have a channel; after that nothing got better.

F. Guffey
Old December 23, 2018, 07:36 PM   #11
LineStretcher

Your CNC skills will come in handy if you have an End Mill. I have an assortment of ball end mills that I use to inlet barrels. I use 4 flute straight up cut bottom cutting end mills for the rest. I have an 6" long 1/8" cutter that I use for the tight corners and then use a corner cutting chisel to square them.

Boyds, cuts all theirs on a production end mill fixture and leaves them overcut because the expect you to bed it with epoxy. I just finished cleaning up, fitting and bedding and Boyd's At-One for a Weatherby Vanguard. You can do it the hard way but if you have the tools then use them.

Sounds like this is your first one, so take your time and watch a few of the Midway USA videos on inletting and bedding a stock. The videos skip a few things but if they didn't it would be several hours long. Still, they're more complete than most.
Old December 23, 2018, 09:21 PM   #12
Road_Clam

LineStretcher, looking foward to this winter project. I have some very good tools at my disposal such as a Dremel, and a Little Machine Shop mini mill. Depending on what state of completion (or lack of) my stock comes in at will determine how much "power" or hand sanding removal of excess wood will be required. I've been waiting over 17 months for the bozo's at SSS to deliver my LVT stock, and i'm not holding my breath as i'll probably never see it even in 2019 so i'm perusing "plan B" which is a Richard's micro fit stock.