The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 11, 2008, 05:21 PM   #1
tplumeri

You really need to reload...

OK, after being told this 100 times I read the "basics" here at the forum and bought a rock chucker master kit from a forum member.
I believe in "one stop shopping".
whats the best online store for all my reloading needs?
would be great to have one with a "help desk".
I shoot alot of 9mm (>1000 rounds/month), some 357, some 30-30, some 32mag and 32-20. Fair amt of 12 gauge.
Help please.
thanks
tom
Old January 11, 2008, 05:34 PM   #2
dakotashooter2

Unless you can buy large quantities of powder and primers it is best to get them locally. They both require a $20 hazmat fee (and sometimes extra shipping) and cannot be shipped together. In most cases unless you can buy at least #10 of powder and probably 10,000 primers it will cost you more.

For bullets buying bulk is cheapest lead or jacketed.

One stop shopping may not get you the best deals.

Ebay or Gunbroker for once fired brass
Starline brass

Midway
Midsouth Shooters Supply
Natchez
Graff & Sons
Powder Valley Inc
Huntingtons

Just to name a few
Old January 11, 2008, 05:47 PM   #3
Alleykat

Quote:
They both require a $20 hazmat fee (and sometimes extra shipping) and cannot be shipped together.
One of the bad things about getting "authoritative" advice on the internet, is that a newbie won't know how to differentiate between the horseschict and the valid advice. You certainly may ship primers with powder. Midway doesn't do it, because their primers and powder are shipped from different locations.
Old January 11, 2008, 05:51 PM   #4
tplumeri

Thanks Dakota!
Unfortunately, Im out in NW kansas. At least an hour drive to anything resembling a city. theres a cabellas 2 1/2 hour away.....
so I think I may need to suck up the extra shipping costs.
I get cheap 9mm ammo ( 12 bucks for 50, 115 gr FMJ) 30 miles down the road. but no discount for bulk.
see lots of online stores with bulk prices for ammo.
with the hazmat fees factored in, is it worthwhile for me to reload?
thanks
tom
Old January 11, 2008, 05:54 PM   #5
tplumeri

Alley cat,
you replied while i was still one finger typing!
so, whats the real story?
i think we need a moderator, this could get ugly....
Old January 11, 2008, 05:59 PM   #6
zxcvbob

How far are you from Winfield? You might could *drive* over to Powder Valley Inc. :-)

Buy a jug of Promo powder for $75 and you'll be in good shape for the 9mm, .38 Special, and 12 gauge - -and maybe the .32-20 depending on how you want to load it. They also have Wolf primers pretty cheap, and good prices on other powders too.
Old January 11, 2008, 06:26 PM   #7
Sevens

Shooting as much as you do, YES, it makes fiscal sense to reload. Even if you have to bite the $20 hazmat fees on primers and powder. When you first get rolling, you may try different powders until you find something you like... then buy large quantities. It's the same single $20 hazmat fee added to your shipping whether you buy 1 pound or 30, and the stuff has a very, very long shelf life. So how much excess you spend in hazmat fees is up to you.

As for supplies, reloading is a "hobby" and you'll end up need more supplies than simply brass, bullets, powder and primers. You'll always need something else (or simply want something else!) and a terrific place for "one-stop shopping" is Midway USA.

There's a bunch of places online to buy this stuff, but Midway is the one I recommend for a number of reasons. Their prices are competitive... they aren't always the rock-bottom cheapest, but they usually beat anything you'll find at a Cabela's or Bass Pro. Their selection is incredible. Their web site is well-built and runs smoothly. Their product descriptions are decent and there are user reviews for most all products which can help tremendously. Customer service is top-notch but because the web site runs so well, you typically won't need to find out.

But there are two more reasons I thoroughly recommend them: they are a very quick turn around, a couple of days from the moment you order until it's at your door is typical.

And also because perhaps more than anyone else in the industry, they support the NRA's fight for gun owner's rights.
http://www.midwayusa.com/