The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 29, 2006, 04:26 PM   #1
TexiCali Slim

CheaperThanDirt Fort Worth

Well today I finally went to cheaper than dirt for the first time, I had went to cabella's first and was snubbed by the employees for asking noob questions. But overall I do expect this, then I went to cheaper than dirt on the way home to do some more poking around for my new shotgun's accesories, they were all very patient and friendly. I really was surprised in how they treated me in the same manner as even the most experianced gun owners.
Needless to say I was very impressed and they will be my first stop for shopping from now on. If anyone knows of any other good gunshops in the dallas fort worth area please post! they dont have to be the friendliest, good prices make me just as happy

Thanks All!
Old January 29, 2006, 05:52 PM   #2
Nightdiver

I have always received friendly and courteous service at Cheaper Than Dirt.
One word of warning, the store does not stock everything listed in the mail order catalog, so call ahead to save yourself an unnecessary trip.
Old January 30, 2006, 10:20 PM   #3
22-rimfire

I haver never been to a Cabela's store. None in my part of the country (yet). I stopped a while back at a Bass Pro store in Atlanta and was pleasantly suprised with the service. I spent probably a hour looking at and handling the high end binoculars and the clerk knew that I had no intention of buying that visit. I actually think he was enjoying himself too.

I do order mail order from Cabela's and Cheaper than Dirt and have always had good service. How friendly and courteous the service is frequently depends on who is assisting you and how busy the store or department is with customers. I'd give Cabela's another try.
Old February 3, 2006, 12:18 AM   #4
detrod

Buying from cheaper than dirt

I've always had good luck buying from cheaper than dirt, but they have raised their prices because of increased fuel cost(shipping)which make them comparable to cabelas, but if cabelas doesnt ship the folding stock for my SKS that i ordered in December..guess what!!
Old February 3, 2006, 12:35 AM   #5
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

That's a bit distressing, Slim

I'm sorry you had a bad experience at Cabela's. I've been to the Fort Worth store three or perhaps four times, plus once to the store in Buda. Each time, I was treated courteously by whichever employee I asked for help. They were VERY busy immeidately before Christmas, and it was sometimes a problem to find a not-too-busy clerk during that time. Otherwise, I was always greeted immediately I approached the counter. When wandering through the loading components aisles, someone usually came up and asked if I needed help.

Not disputing your account of what happened with you - - It just happened differently with me. Oh, yes - I've been there when some terrifically obtuse questions were asked, and the clerks were always very patient with their explanations.

On the other hand, I've been to the Cheaper Than Dirt store many times, and my experiences tallied exactly with your own. Nice bunch of people. I think that, having been there longer, they've had a chance to draw from some of the more knowledgeable local talent to staff the counters. Except at tiems when they were very busy, I've usually ended up having a nice chat with the clerk.

In fact, I once phoned CTD to see if they still had a used Browning I'd seen the day before. The guy regretfully told me it had already sold. He volunteered to take my name and phone number, saying they got such pistols occasionally. About a week later, another guy phoned me and said he'd tried been unable to sell his High Power and accessories to CTD. The clerk gave him my number. We met and I bought the pistol and accessories for a very reasonable price. CTD didn't make a dime off THAT deal, but they gained a lot of good will from me.

Another new, "big business" place that has impressed me recently is the Sportsman's Warehouse in Lewisville. Not as large as Cabela's, they have a very good selection, reasonable prices, and a friendly staff who actually know something about the shooting sports.

Hope your dealings go well in thefuture.
Johnny
Old February 3, 2006, 01:26 AM   #6
TexiCali Slim

Cool, Thank you guys for all the help, I wasnt as bitter as it looked when I wrote about cabellas. I will still goto cabellas and poke around because it is a fun store! I was just really surprised about how cheaper than dirt was very outgoing, and they were both about equally as busy. But thank you guys for your opinions I do appreciate those and I'll give that store a look also Johnny. Feel free to post any other stores that come to mind!

Thanks Again.
Old February 3, 2006, 09:35 AM   #7
urbanassault

I also had a bad experience at Cabela's, went there for the first time last week with my buddy (Im 21 hes 20) I think it is because of our age and image, NOBODY would help us out, the employees would walk up to other people and ask them but we had to physically ask them to see anything what a joke!! Ill stick with mailorder or gander mountain thanks.

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
Old February 4, 2006, 08:38 PM   #8
TexiCali Slim

Yea Urban I've been to Gander Mountain in Corsicana TX a few times and they have allways been great. Only bought a BB gun there but everyone was really nice. Plus they have a wide array of cool [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]
Thanks agin!
Old February 4, 2006, 08:58 PM   #9
orionengnr

did not see any mention

of Bass Pro in Grapevine. They are my #1 stop (having an indoor range doesn't hurt ). Sportsman's Warehouse in Lewisville is my #2 and Academy Sports is #3 (almost across the street). Cabela's is my #4, due to distance and ratio of helpful people to customers.
Old February 6, 2006, 09:14 AM   #10
urbanassault

The Bass Pro by me is very small and like 2 people work there, they also have very few guns. Stopped in to Sportsmans Warehouse last night and they had a pretty nice place alot like Gander but the had black rifles (our Gander will not carry any sort of assault rifle) Gander would be my first stop, the local gun shop/range would be second.

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum