The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 25, 2015, 11:41 PM   #26
Gunfixr

Koda 94, yes, that is the one. Yes, by what I saw there, build parties are no longer legal.
Atf does not define a receiver by percentage, ie, 80%, 83%, etc. It either is a receiver, or it is not. If atf required something to be changed on an incomplete receiver, it is because they defined it as a receiver, and the change took it back away from being a receiver.
Fed ex refusing to ship a cnc machine would on fed ex, and nothing else. You would have to ask them about that.
Old February 25, 2015, 11:44 PM   #27
Gunfixr

Since it is a ruling, and not a law, while carrying the weight of a law, it can go into effect immediately, and probably does.
Old February 26, 2015, 12:32 AM   #28
Koda94

Gunfixr, thanks for replying and providing clarity to the new ruling. Chalk this up to one more infringement on our rights, Im not even certain what loophole this closes since its still possible for an individual to personally buy all the items to finish their own 80% reciever without a build party.
Old February 26, 2015, 02:44 AM   #29
Dreaming100Straight

Some of the questions asked here should be considered in light of definitions provided in the CGA. What if a friend has a machine shop as a hobby or what if he it is a business but instead of paying him for the use of his machinery I let him use some of my tools.

I believe the key is if the machinery owner "regularly" engages in the manufacture of firearms for compensation, albeit cash or barter. Barter would include you get to use his mill and he can borrow your hand tools. I would be leary of relying on the fact that they only own the mill as part of a hobby, if this isn't the only time he permits the use of his machinery to complete a lower. The more it is done, the greater the likelihood he is found to regularly be in the business. Note that nothing says that firearms need be his primary business. My take is that his primary objective need only be his livelihood on those occasions that he regularly allowed his machinery to be used to complete the blanks.

Last edited by Dreaming100Straight; February 26, 2015 at 02:18 PM.
Old February 26, 2015, 02:48 AM   #30
Dreaming100Straight

Quote:
Since it is a ruling, and not a law, while carrying the weight of a law, it can go into effect immediately, and probably does.
The general rule is that a law which does not change but merely clarifies existing law was and is in effect. Since the clarifications were part of the existing law, nothing is new else, if affected vested rights, it would be Ex post Facto.

Last edited by Dreaming100Straight; February 26, 2015 at 03:39 AM.