The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 15, 2015, 12:23 PM   #26
JimDandy

Quote:
Any part representatives of those states can get their hands on. They'll do their best to sink it by adding unworkable or loathsome provisions
So the people who can't get enough votes to vote it down will get enough votes to amend it into something atrocious?

Quote:
Do you REALLY want to have your CCW regulations set by the likes of CA, MD, NY, MA, and NJ?

I sure don't and that is EXACTLY what well happen. This belongs at the state level, not the federal level.
Other than having to obey that State's law while in that State, what you're worried about isn't there yet, and is highly unlikely to be.
Old February 15, 2015, 10:07 PM   #27
FITASC

Really? Take a good look around, they are pushing those agendas more and more
Old February 16, 2015, 12:50 AM   #28
JimDandy

They? They who? The Republicans in control of the House and Senate?

By all means, which Senate/House bill was it that started this "more and more" trend "they" have been up to.

I don't know about you, but I'd rather keep my credibility, NOT be the little boy who cried wolf about "them" and their "more and more" agendas when the ACTUAL "they" haven't been in session long enough to have done much of anything, let alone "more and more" of anything.

We don't gain much of anything but a reputation for being reactionary anti-government whackos when we blame the government for something they wouldn't do and almost certainly didn't do.

Complaining about what isn't there, and would be rather difficult to put there before there's even a hint of anyone trying to really makes us sound like we're using a power drill to find the listening devices in our cheese.
Old February 18, 2015, 09:41 PM   #29
Leader

They are the same ones that have initiated all the changes after VA. Teah and the Giffords shooting or Newton....

You saw all the new restrictive Fed laws that were a result of those.
Old February 18, 2015, 10:21 PM   #30
Buzzard Bait

Retroprocity is constitutinal article 1V section 1

Article. IV.

Section. 1.

Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State to the public Acts, Records, and judicial Proceedings of every other State. And the Congress may by general Laws prescribe the Manner in which such Acts, Records and Proceedings shall be proved, and the Effect thereof.

Maybe I'm too simple minded but that looks smells and tastes like retroprocity is all ready on the books its this clause that allows us to drive across the country without having to get new license's in each state we go threw why would this be any different

Last edited by Buzzard Bait; February 18, 2015 at 10:51 PM. Reason: why not
Old February 19, 2015, 09:14 AM   #31
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard Bait
Article. IV.

Section. 1.

Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State to the public Acts, Records, and judicial Proceedings of every other State. And the Congress may by general Laws prescribe the Manner in which such Acts, Records and Proceedings shall be proved, and the Effect thereof.

Maybe I'm too simple minded but that looks smells and tastes like retroprocity is all ready on the books...
What's missing from your post is an analysis of 226+ years of case law regarding what constitutes "Acts, Records, and judicial Proceedings." The short version is that the Full Faith & Credit Clause clearly dictates that a state can't unilaterally disregard a civil or criminal judgment issued by a court in another state, but its effect on administrative licenses is less clear.

Keep in mind that it's commonplace for states to license professionals such as architects, barbers, beauticians, contractors, doctors, engineers, nurses, and surveyors, but those licenses generally aren't valid across state lines either.
Old February 19, 2015, 10:54 AM   #32
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carguychris
Keep in mind that it's commonplace for states to license professionals such as architects, barbers, beauticians, contractors, doctors, engineers, nurses, and surveyors, but those licenses generally aren't valid across state lines either.
True. As a holder of one of those types of licenses, I am acutely aware that I have to obtain another license from any state other than my home state if I wish to practice there, even if it's only for a week or even a single day.

BUT ... there is no "fundamental" (the word of the Supreme Court, not mine), constitutionally guaranteed right to practice as a professional such as an architect, barber, beautician, contractor, doctor, engineer, nurse, or surveyor. What carry licensing is really saying is that states (with a few exceptions) only respect the constitutional right to carry a firearm for self defense for people from their own state. On top of appearing to be a violation of the full faith and credit clause, how about the equal protection clause? The these states work, their own citizens are "more equal" than those from any other state.
Old February 19, 2015, 11:17 AM   #33
JimDandy

Quote:
They are the same ones that have initiated all the changes after VA. Teah and the Giffords shooting or Newton....

You saw all the new restrictive Fed laws that were a result of those
No, I must have missed them. Which restrictive gun laws passed after Newtown?
Old February 19, 2015, 11:32 AM   #34
JimDandy

On another note:
Quote:
BUT ... there is no "fundamental" (the word of the Supreme Court, not mine), constitutionally guaranteed right to practice as a professional
Except a carry permit isn't for the professionals. The professionals have LEOSA.

The Professionals have the State Bar. The amateurs have FARETTA v. CALIFORNIA, 422 U.S. 806 (1975)

Of course, there's no Constitutional right to design houses, so the analogy breaks down outside of practicing law, and not all professional gun carriers are covered by LEOSA. All analogies are imperfect.
Old February 19, 2015, 06:30 PM   #35
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca
BUT ... there is no "fundamental" (the word of the Supreme Court, not mine), constitutionally guaranteed right to practice as a professional... What carry licensing is really saying is that states (with a few exceptions) only respect the constitutional right to carry a firearm for self defense for people from their own state. On top of appearing to be a violation of the full faith and credit clause, how about the equal protection clause? The these states work, their own citizens are "more equal" than those from any other state.
FWIW I actually agree with you in concept, but keep in mind that many of the states that don't respect out-of-state CHLs also have "may-issue" permit systems that don't respect the rights of their own citizens. IMHO it's wrong, and some federal appeals courts agree with me, but the issue isn't settled.

Basically, I think this boils down to the fact that the SCOTUS has yet to rule that citizens have an individual right to carry and not just to possess arms.