The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old February 22, 2017, 01:45 AM   #1
CapeGun

Lee Enfield 1942 Savage Indentification

I came across a Lee Enfield in good condition which I am planning to purchase, it is not local so all I have are pictures with the following markings;

S
33C7497
A942

MkI*

But it does not seem to have the "US Property" marking.

It is a Savage, rebarreled ??

Many thanks for any enlightenment offered
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lee Mk .JPG (213.9 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg Lee SN and Date.JPG (196.8 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg Lee top view.JPG (175.4 KB, 93 views)
Old February 22, 2017, 07:54 AM   #2
eastbank

i would buy it in a heart beat as i would love to have the rear sight. i think its a savage and it looks very clean. hows the bore? eastbank.
Old February 22, 2017, 08:03 AM   #3
CapeGun

lee enfield 1942 Indentification

I have asked the seller to have a gunsmith report on the bore. So at present I don't know

Just noticed that the breech does not have a S infront of the No 4 MK 1* , could this be a British barrel ?

Regards
Old February 22, 2017, 08:36 AM   #4
DMK

You have the flaming bomb (partial anyway) on the wrist. Mine has "US Property" on top of the receiver.

What makes you think it's been rebarreled?
Old February 22, 2017, 11:45 AM   #5
CapeGun

The barrel is marked No4 Mark 1* with no S, if it was a Savage I believe it should be marked S No4 Mark 1* same as the stock band.

I found an article on the Internet that indicated that some British troops removed the "US Property" stamping. However I cannot see how they could remove the S on the breech, the lettering is too deep
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lee LHS.JPG (207.5 KB, 37 views)
Old February 22, 2017, 12:09 PM   #6
Jim Watson

I don't know anything about the minutae of Savage No 4s, but like eastbank says, that sight is a jewel.

Ask the gunsmith how many grooves in the barrel. Some are six groove, some are two groove. Of course the Brits favored five.
Old February 22, 2017, 01:25 PM   #7
T. O'Heir

"...some British troops removed the "US Property"..." Not if they knew what was good for them. RSM'd have their guts for garters for defacing issue kit. Had one on my MIU, long ago. That was CF Reserves.
Mind you, the "US Property" stamp wasn't on Pre-Lend/Lease rifles(Lend-Lease Act of March 11, 1941.). Savage was making 'em shortly before FDR got into it. Your rifle should have it though.
Savage made 2 grooves on Mk I*'s. 6 grooves were early Mk I's and post war Long Branch rifles.
Anyway, it's entirely possible the barrel was changed at some time. Probably not by one of Her/His Majesty's armourers though. Any marks on the barrel? Any broad arrows anywhere?
The rifle looks like it's been refinished. It seems to be missing the markings normally all over 'em. And that's what's known as the Parker-Hale sight. Targets, not fightin'. Check the headspace.

Tags
lee enfield , savage