The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 1, 2016, 09:34 PM   #1
TheGuyOfSouthamerica

Update on "New Wildcat" performance. Deep seated lead cast bullet in 38 spl case.

Dear ya all,

See Pictures:

I left aside the "reinvented 9mm Federal Rimmed" and instead did what an Cast Boolits member was suggesting me: Seating deep the Lee .356" lead cast Truncated Cone Tumble lube 124 grain bullets into the 38 spl case. The Picture on top is the result.
In that Picture right you see the "new wildcat", in the middle you see the same bullet in an 9mm Luger and on the left you see the cast bullet itself.
The Picture in the middle are the entrance holes from the "new wildcat" from an distance of 55 meters. You see it has an accuracy of about "Movement of Deer". It is good for hunting and defense I guess. I measured the accuracy and I got 6" from hole to hole (no particular aiming was done at that Shooting from standing). 2 shots of These "wildcats" were fired.
The last Picture are the Exit wholes from the 2 shot fired "new wildcat" from a distance of 55 meters. You see it penetrated the 200 Liter bin right through and entered on an Wood at the back and must have bounced off since I can not find the bullets.
Comparison: #4 buckshot will NOT penetrate the bin (often not even from the front side) from 20 meters. 00 buck will penetrate the bin both sides from 20 meters but not all of the 9 pellets.
You see therefore These "wildcats" have a good Penetration. They are loaded with 3.0 grain 700X type scavenged shotgun powder behind the .356" 124 grain Lee bullet. They are seated 0.100" deep from flush (like an wadcutter but deeper) and empty airspace in the case should equal about that of an 9mm Luger. The 9mm Luger I load the same bullet and powder Charge.
Seated at 0.125" from flush These wildcats start to Show bulges near the rim and I guess that may be a sign of incipient case head Separation (but no hard extraction nor any other signs of over pressure could be seen). These wildcats are shot in an Heritage/Pietta Rough Rider 357 Magnum SAA 5.5" Revolver.
Lubed are These "wildcat" and 9mm Luger not anymore with Texaco Marfak Lithium grease but I changed to Raidl Raidex Crayon animal marker sticks from Hauptner&Herberholz made in Germany for bullet lube.With this bullet lube I do NOT get leading at all and it stays solid til 176 degrees Farenheit (80 degrees Celsius). These Crayons do not seep oils nor liquify if exposed to direct sunlight on a cooking hot truck Hood.

What do you guys think? Any opinions?

Last edited by TheGuyOfSouthamerica; October 3, 2016 at 04:42 PM.
Old October 3, 2016, 10:55 AM   #2
TheGuyOfSouthamerica

I put the Pictures inline of the post edited with Irfanview. Now you can appreciate better.

Sorry for the bad Picture posting till now but I did not know how to post them correctly.

Last edited by TheGuyOfSouthamerica; October 3, 2016 at 08:10 PM.
Old October 4, 2016, 12:11 AM   #3
IMtheNRA

That's pretty good, especially for an improvised cartridge from scavenged components. I've enjoyed reading about your experiments, thank you for sharing this interesting topic.

Have you considered performing penetration and expansion tests? Can you build a chronograph from locally available components?
Old October 4, 2016, 12:21 AM   #4
IMtheNRA

Furthermore, I guess that you must have accumulated quite a pile of shot shell primers by now.

Have you considered the possibility of modifying some of your .38 cases to accept this primer and a tiny projectile?

You could create a sub-caliber conversion for your revolver with a barrel liner. Perhaps a .22 pellet or a .177 lead pellet, propelled only by the primer? A tubular liner can be used inside the .38 case to accept the pellet and line it up with the barrel liner.

It'll be quiet and probably quite effective for fun target practice, even indoors.
Old October 4, 2016, 12:24 AM   #5
Mal H
Staff

The second and third image are both the same.
Old October 4, 2016, 10:27 AM   #6
TheGuyOfSouthamerica

Mal H,

now as I checked the Pictures are OK.
But I realised as well sometimes the last 2 Pictures are the same. Sometimes they Show correct.

If you check the attached files you clearly see those are all different files (even different sizes).

So the TFL Software may be faulty.
Old October 7, 2016, 03:35 PM   #7
John C

Cool! How much are you paying for shotshells? Are you using the lead shot to cast bullets, or are you trading that away.

In another thread, I mentioned you should try milling black powder, but saw that you previously tried that with little success. What went wrong? With .357, you pretty much need a compressed case full of BP to get any sort of performance. Also, a homemade ball mill will easily allow you make powder. There are several great youtube videos about this.

Plus, you can load your empty 12 gauge shells with BP, and use them for regular shotgun work. BP works great in shotshells; there's plenty of room.
Old October 7, 2016, 04:26 PM   #8
Unclenick
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGuyOfSouthAmerica
If you check the attached files you clearly see those are all different files (even different sizes).
Different sizes, yes, but the first and last of the uploaded pictures are identical, except that one is one in .JPG format and the other in .GIF format. Note that even the file names are the same except for the three-letter extension after the dot. One way to avoid the problem is to edit all three into one photo with a different file name. That will give you complete control over what appears.

Very interesting experiment. Glad it seems to be working out for you. I seem to recall you were expecting to buy a chronograph and measure some velocities. Did that happen?
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old October 7, 2016, 04:34 PM   #9
TheGuyOfSouthamerica

Dear Unclenick,

I have the Pictures in front of me right now and they are fine (each one is a different one). They are as I placed them but realised sometimes the 2 last Pictures are indeed the same but not allways (there may some iffy stuff going on with the web upload. Who knows!).

As all things here if I order it arrives 4 weeks later if it does not go through the Gun Agency. If it goes through the governement control and there is a miracle and they let is pass through customs then it may arrive in 2 months.

Good News for me!
2 of the many molds I ordered have arrived. It is the Lee .358" 105 grain Semi Wad Cutter (they arrive over here in Southamerica for about 130 US$ each) and the Lee .356" 120 grain Truncated Cone.
It is hard to get over here imported These molds as depending on the employees of the Gun Agency they allow it or do not allow it to pass customs (may have to do as well with some bribery or abuse of power by the chief of the national Gun Agency).
It is like a miracle.
Old October 7, 2016, 04:47 PM   #10
TheGuyOfSouthamerica

Some more Penetration tests of the "wildcat" see "W", normally loaded and seated see N and 9mm Luger see 9mm.

The photo of the barely peenetrated bullet is an regularly seated 38 spl round with 3.0 grains of powder. You see it has not Penetration nor did it have recoil. Photo with the N.

The other photo with the "W" is the deep seated "wildcat" loaded with 3.0 grains of powder. This did have more Penetration than even the 9mm Luger in the other photo.

The other photo with the 9mm written is the same 124 grain lead round shot from the 9mm Luger S&W SD9VE pistol. The 9mm Luger round is loaded as well with 3.0 grains of powder. This 9mm Luger did have a stovepipe so I guess it must have been loaded with some weaker powder. It did not have as much Penetration than the "wildcat".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161007_123609.jpg (204.1 KB, 394 views)
File Type: jpg 20161007_123829.jpg (214.4 KB, 413 views)
File Type: jpg 20161007_124144.jpg (225.0 KB, 396 views)
Old October 7, 2016, 09:21 PM   #11
Unclenick
Staff

The penetration tests look successful. When you get your chronograph, that will be the other way to verify that you are not losing a lot of energy to gas bypass during the long long trip through the case and chamber throat to the revolver forcing cone.

I assume those Lee molds are the 6-cavity molds. I like them. It sounds like you either have to pay a lot of duty or tax or perhaps you are shipping them by air; that would add a lot to the cost. If you take good care of them and you are careful to follow their lubricating instructions, they can last a very long time.
Attached Images
File Type: gif GSA post 2016-10-07_18-24-38.gif (113.8 KB, 41 views)
Old October 8, 2016, 12:13 AM   #12
TheGuyOfSouthamerica

I do not find any attachement manager to erase one of the pics. The moderator may do it for me. I even can not edit the original post anymore. Just erase one of the doibles.

The molds are 6 cavity. Yes they got shipped by air. That ~130$ price is all cost including. Yes the molds get oiled before and after using. The nice thing is they are no commercially availlable. Here the governement restricts gun stores to sell reloading supplys but privately you can import them previous passing the Gun Agency. So nobody sells dies molds presses scales etc. If some reloading supplys are in stock then that inventory remotes to the 1990's. Modern mail forewarders have made these private imports possible. Through those mail forewarders you can bring yourself guns as well directly from the USA. For example thos mail forewarders are registred FFL dealers in the US as well registred here in the local country. All this is legal and way cheaper than waiting for third party businesses to import something.
Old February 3, 2017, 07:41 PM   #13
TheGuyOfSouthamerica

UPDATE! Got the chronograph

Finally the chronograph arrived.
It arrived triple as expensive as in the US.
I bought the Caldwell Precision Chronograph. The chrono works but it's Software (APP) seems not to work.

I shot 2 random DEWC Lee 148 grain wadcutters from the Revolver.
I got following readings:

993 fps
848 fps (see this measure on photo)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20170203_18_24_13_Pro.jpg (112.2 KB, 319 views)
Old February 3, 2017, 08:06 PM   #14
rock185

Congratulations on getting your chronograph. It will be a great help to you in determining how safe and consistent your reloads are. I have used a chronograph regularly for many years and don't know how anyone serious about reloading can get along without one. I see reports of people trying to figure out reloads and factory ammo by how much recoil, muzzle blast, flash etc. they experience. Not an accurate way to determine very much about ammunition velocity, energy or safety.
Old February 3, 2017, 08:26 PM   #15
TheGuyOfSouthamerica

What would you say.

This DEWC 148 grain lead bullet traveling at 848 fps/993 fps is that in the ballpark an 9mm Luger 148 grainer would be as well or is it rather in the ballpark of an 38 spl only or maybe 38 spl +P?
Old February 3, 2017, 08:39 PM   #16
Pathfinder45

In your initial pictures showing the bullets, it looks like they were poured at perhaps a too-low temperature, into a mold that was not pre-heated. Better casting technique will produce more accurate bullets. When I do a casting session, I usually have three grades of bullets: Those that appear excellent; those that look pretty good; and those that just look good enough for close range practice drills. Everything else goes back in the pot for a remelt. But they all don't have to be perfect; we all need some fannin' ammo. Right?
But I'm wondering why you wouldn't just load those bullets and crimp them in place in the correct, conventional manner?
Old February 3, 2017, 09:07 PM   #17
TheGuyOfSouthamerica

The round shot and chronographed today is this one (Lee 148 grain Wadcutter) as here

Regards the "bad" cast bullets. Like that they are all. It may be due to the high Zinc Content of the Wheel Weigths I use for lead source.
It makes no difference at 50 meters or 125 meters (with this Revolver I can hit a man size at 100 meters). For rifle bullets you may want perfect bullets but then you may as well want FMJ factory bullets if you exceed 1800 fps.
Old February 4, 2017, 12:51 AM   #18
reddog81

Is the 848 and the 993 FPS from the same load? If so that's a rather large spread from a sample of 2.

I believe 147 9mm loads are supposed to be around 1000 to 1050 so your 993 is pretty close. 848 would be a hot 38 special load or a light +P load.
Old February 4, 2017, 08:14 AM   #19
TheGuyOfSouthamerica

I just loaded an round to 3.7 grains using the 148 Lee Wadcutter and got 976 fps. Shot from an 357 mag SAA 5.5“ revolver.
Really nothing to write home about.
The primer flattened a quiet bit but could stand more pressure.
I am kind of unimpressed of the velocity.
The selfmade powder dipper if heaped fully (till no powder stays on top anymore) will hold 4 grains.
With the 3.7 grains this load I believe is in between the 38 spl and the 9mm Luger so not impressive

What you guy say about these velocities?
Old February 4, 2017, 12:16 PM   #20
TheGuyOfSouthamerica

Hi all,

I loaded again one round this time with 4 grains of the scavenged shotgun powder VV N330 type with the 148 grain Lee Wadcutter and it gave me 1001 fps in velocity which translates to 329 ft/lbs in energy.
The gun has an 5.5" Barrel.

Kind of unhappy about that. Did not meet my expectations of approaching 400 to 500 ft/lbs in energy.
Seems an heavier bullet not neccesary tranlates to higher energy Levels.

More powder I do not want to load since the case is at extraction from the SAA Revolver already on the edge to be sticky.
Before I shot one of These loaded to 3.7 grain same powder and that gave me 313 ft/lbs since it had 976 fps of velocity. With that flattened primer as well but no sticky case.

So at most These rounds (deep seated Nagant style) have an power Level approaching the 9mm Luger and not nearly are getting Close to the 357 Magnum full power factory loads.

My expectations were it would have more energy due to it's heavy bullet but that seems being an trade off to velocity.
An stanard 9mm Luger round has 356 ft/lbs of energy and the Winchester 110 grain 357 Magnum have 410 ft/lbs as energy.
So at most this deep seated 148 grain lead Wadcutter is an weak 9mm Luger round.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wp_20170204_13_49_14_pro.jpg (169.4 KB, 838 views)
Old February 4, 2017, 12:42 PM   #21
Unclenick
Staff

Because of the long distance the deeply seated bullet has to jump to the throat, it is probably leaking gas around the bullet and limiting both velocity and causing some gas cutting of the lead, which affects accuracy adversely. Second, because you can't crimp the bullet that far down in the case, any small differences in case diameter will affect bullet pull more than in normally seated and crimped cases. For that reason, your start pressure is likely to vary more than with a bullets properly seated and with a roll crimp into the bullet crimp groove. Try seating some in the normal way. Using the same charge of powder you will get less velocity, but it should be more consistent.

There are also some things that can cause chronograph readings to be in error. The most common one is shooting too close to the instrument so that muzzle blast causes false triggering. Shooting close to the ground will mean muzzle blast also kicks up dust, which can be an issue with false readings, too.

If you don't have a tripod for the chronograph, try getting at least three meters away from it. You can also take a cardboard carton and cut it out to create a blast shield. You make a wide (2 or 3 inches or 50-75 mm) vertical slot in the middle of each end of the box and set it right in front of you and line the slots up with the target and chronograph, You shoot through the slits or put the muzzle inside the near slit. The bottom of the box will stop prevent dust kick-up when you are on the ground.

Another problem is glint. This when light reflected off the ground bounces off the bullet, causing a false reading of it's location. For shooting with the instrument on the ground, find a piece of cardboard about four feet long and two feet wide and paint it flat black and set the chronograph on it to stop glints.
Old February 4, 2017, 12:51 PM   #22
TheGuyOfSouthamerica

Other data according to the Chronograph
First Group is the Lee 148 grain lead Wadcutter and second Group is the bullet you see in the first Picture the Lee 124 Truncated Cone 9mm Luger lead bullet. All shot from the SAA 357 Magnum Revolver and loaded like in Pictures of this post.

148 grain Wadcutter Lee lead .358" bullet loaded with Saga 3.2 grain scavenged powder gives 860 fps of velocity. 243 ft/lbs

148 grain Wadcutter Lee lead .358" bullet loaded with J&G 3.1 grain scavenged powder gives 863 fps of velocity. 245 ft/lbs

148 grain Wadcutter Lee lead .358" bullet loaded with Orbea 3.0 grain scavenged powder gives 836 fps of velocity. 230 ft/lbs
148 grain Wadcutter Lee lead .358" bullet loaded with Saga 4.0 grain scavenged powder gives 1001 fps of velocity. 329 ft/lbs
124 grain TC Lee lead .356" bullet loaded with J&G 3.1 grain scavenged powder gives 892 fps of velocity. 219 ft/lbs

124 grain TC Lee lead .356" bullet loaded with Orbea 3.0 grain scavenged powder gives 871 fps of velocity. 209 ft/lbs

124 grain TC Lee lead .356" bullet loaded with Saga 3.1 grain scavenged powder gives 848 fps of velocity. 198 ft/lbs

Last edited by TheGuyOfSouthamerica; February 4, 2017 at 01:25 PM.
Old February 4, 2017, 01:19 PM   #23
TheGuyOfSouthamerica

Believe me: those 148 grain WC are sitting firmly.
Notting in the world, to say like that, will remove them. I seated half way down one last time and tried to pull 'em out with a plier but never was able to move it a bit. They are probably engaging the tapered part of the the case inside what seats 'em firmly.

I have a Feeling the Chronograph works as it should be.

My last data you can observe very consistent readings. So it's not the Chrony.

The Plastik Glock I sold loaded reliably with those loads you observe for the 124 grain TC (just in 9mm Luger cases obviously). Seating depth, bullet and powder Charge are the same.

The 848 fps 124 grain TC round is nothing else than a glorified 380 Auto round with it's 198 ft/lbs of energy. The other 2 124 grainers TC are approaching 38 spl Levels of enrgy but do not quiet reach 250 ft/lbs of the normal 38 spl.
All 148 grain WC are in the 38 spl ballpark of energy.

But...
3.0 grains of Orbea powder gives me higher energy Levels with the 148 grain Wadcutter.
3.1 grains of J&G powder gives me again more energy Levels with the 148 grain WC than with the 124 grain TC.

It is definetely a better idea using the heavier bullet (148 Wadcutter) in this load since the return of energy for the same amount of powder is greater with the heavier bullet.

Last edited by TheGuyOfSouthamerica; February 4, 2017 at 01:27 PM.
Old February 4, 2017, 02:05 PM   #24
TheGuyOfSouthamerica

But maybe I am wrong.

Federal premiums ballistic calculator states a bunch of 9mm Luger round which are 124 grain and 1000 fps as well or 147 grain and 1000 fps as well.

https://www.federalpremium.com/ballistics_calculator/

So that gives similar energy Levels as the Lee 148 WC does with 4.0 grain powder (like data above) so in the ballpark of 325 ft/lbs.
As I Screen the brands and bullet weights through I see about 50% of the loads listed for 9mm Luger having "only" about 325 ft/lbs as energy.

Maybe I should be happy with what I have got for the 148 grain WC making 1001 fps of velocity and 329 ft/lbs energy.
As well I see the Standard 38 spl having lots of them "only" about 200 ft/lbs of energy.
But for sure they ain't an 44 Magnum regards power.

Maybe then my reloads are not as bad as they at first seemed to me.

Shooting steel trees I feel the 148 grain WC having way more Punch than even the 110 grain 357 mag factory round since the tree arm is swung with an noticeable more force and authority and the Impact sounds heavier.

I believe one lesson can be learned: the deep seating bullets lets you "squeeze" out more energy from the reload with an reduced amount of powder (like 3.0 to 3.2 grain of an given powder).
So deep seating means more Efficiency and an heavier bullet is more efficient as well.

Last edited by TheGuyOfSouthamerica; February 4, 2017 at 02:19 PM.
Old February 4, 2017, 02:27 PM   #25
Jim Watson

As you see, a 148 grain bullet at 860 fps is .38 Special +P ballistically.
At 1001 fps, it is comparable to a 9mm "subsonic" load.
That is not bad for your necessary adaptations and improvisations.
A major manufacturer is following in your footsteps, the new Federal Micro HST .38 Special has a deeply seated bullet.
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...ion-offerings/

In 9mm, I would be content with a load that would function the action and not be concerned with equaling factory velocity.