The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 2, 2013, 05:59 PM   #1
Pops1085

Any tips on gun storage?

Does anybody have any tips on how they organize/store their guns? I've got a closet just wide enough to hang any of my guns up, which I have with a few, but I've still got about 15 guns that are just leaning in the corner because ive heard you shouldn't store them in a case. Anyways the in laws are coming and I'm trying to do my best to not look like a homicidal maniac . Anyways how do you stash yours??

Last edited by Evan Thomas; May 2, 2013 at 06:01 PM. Reason: irelevant politics.
Old May 2, 2013, 06:23 PM   #2
Dalek

MTM makes very nice long term storage boxes for handguns with closed foam inserts. They do not collect moisture plus you can add a desiccant.
Old May 2, 2013, 06:43 PM   #3
Nathan

A safe works well for me...
Old May 2, 2013, 07:07 PM   #4
jaguarxk120

I keep each one in one of those cheap padded gun sleaves. They go for about $5 at the gun shows. But first a wipedown with a sheepskin loaded with RIG, that wipedown will leave a very thin film of RIG on all the metal surfaces.
Old May 2, 2013, 09:24 PM   #5
Doyle

The sleeves that Jaguar mentions are OK to use (most are silicone coated). What is NEVER OK is a padded case like you would use to transport the gun in. Those are rust traps.
Old May 2, 2013, 10:30 PM   #6
ClydeFrog

Bore store bags, racks, cases...

There are many, many simple & practical ways to store-protect firearms.
I'd keep all weapons & ammunition secure and well protected to prevent any damage, ADs or thefts.
I suggest the top rated bore-store bag(s). I've used them since the early 1990s. The soft fabric protects the firearm but allows it to have air circulate. It's not meant for security but is a great, discreet way to protect the weapon. Bore Store bags come in many sizes & run $5.00-20.00 USD.
A good CLP like LPX, Ballistol, Gunzilla, Slip2000 or Weaponshield should be used for extended storage. A light coat or a few drops should be fine for protection. Ballistol is non toxic & can be used on rubber, metal, wood, etc.
Many like the Gunvaults brand for fast, secure storage. There are many security locks & covers to prevent ADs or mishaps.
There are a few plastic type milspec storage bags on the market. For long term storage or to cache weapons/gear/high dollar items, see: www.deltapress.com www.nra.org www.uscav.com www.paladin-press.com .
Rubber coated gun racks are common. You won't look like a weirdo or Frank Castle aka; The Punisher .
Here are a few great websites/resources; www.Natchezss.com www.brownells.com www.midwayusa.com www.cabelas.com www.thesportsmansguide.com www.gunvideo.com www.glockstore.com .
PS; If you have a lot of guns, magazines, tools, gear, etc check out Browning's new Black Label safes. They are tacti-cool but a good idea for security.
Old May 3, 2013, 07:35 AM   #7
jaguarxk120

Doyle, I said the "cheap padded" cases, they are very thin much better than the silcone treated socks sold today. They help prevent safe rash on stocks.

Anyway my storage area is kept dry with a dehumidifyer.
Old May 3, 2013, 09:27 AM   #8
Doyle

Jaguar, I thought you were talking about the socks (which I myself have used). What kind of padded cases are you referring to?
Old May 3, 2013, 10:04 AM   #9
JWT

Mine all go in the gun socks and then into a safe. The socks prevent them from getting scuffed in the safes. They protect the guns but 'breathe' and don't trap any moisture (not that's much of a problem in Arizona).
Old May 3, 2013, 10:08 AM   #10
jaguarxk120

The real cheap ones that I get from the local gun shows, they have a string tie for closer. Imported from guess where!!

Last time I bought a pack of ten for $30, not something I would transport guns in. I think they have gone up to $5 each now. But they do keep the guns from hitting each other in the safe.
Old May 3, 2013, 10:22 AM   #11
allaroundhunter

Re: Any tips on gun storage?

How do I stash mine? In a properly made safe.

Old July 7, 2013, 11:37 PM   #12
MaDMaXX

I like that safe!!

Mighty pricey though i'm guessing

Erm, someone mentioned the padded hard cases for transport aren't a good idea for storage? um, really? most of mine are stored that way :/
Old July 8, 2013, 12:22 AM   #13
BigTex308

Re: Any tips on gun storage?

I like my safe

Ike