The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 11, 2013, 11:49 PM   #1
Boogiest

Marlin model '94

I have a marlin model '94 (not 1894 it's marked '94). I got it in a trade a few years ago. It had been refinished mediocre at best. Shiny poly over the stocks. Scope mount screws, 2 sets on the receiver and a couple up on the bbl. it's got some pitting, some dings and whatnot. Bore doesnt look half bad. The reason I bought it was 1) it's chambered in 25-20 and 2)it's a takedown model. I just thought it was an interesting piece to fool around with.

I'd like some input on how far to go with this rifle. I want to put it back to original and I'd like to do most of the work myself. Metal finishing will have to be done by someone besides me. I can handle to wood end of it. Is there a resource that can tell me how that rifle was finished at the factory. Which parts blued, color case hardened etc...

I want to do what turnbull does on his reto's. only by myself because I still want to shoot it. I bought it with the intention of shooting it.

Can anyone tell me what they think? Where a good place for metal refinishing. A resources to learn how my marlin came from the factory.

Ultimately I want to rebarell and recylinder one of my Blackhawks to the same caliber. And finish it much the same as the rifle, color case hardening the frame, nice walnut stock. Then I'd like to make a case for the both of them to fit with all accessories.

What'd ya think?
Old June 12, 2013, 06:58 AM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

Want to learn how to refinish it? Go to Trinidad State NRA Gunsmithing Program and take the metal refinishing class under Newport. I saw an engraved Rem 870 that needed rebluing. He hand polished it to remove the rust and left the engraving intact. He might also do color case hardening during the class.

With regards to books on Marlin, William Brophy's book on the Marlin is the best I've found so far.
Old June 12, 2013, 09:45 AM   #3
PetahW

Finishes: CCH hammer, lever & trigger, receiver, bbl & furniture charcoal blued, walnut stained & varnished.

Old June 12, 2013, 02:08 PM   #4
Boogiest

Thanks for the replies