The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 1, 2013, 05:31 PM   #1
Sabre9mm

!!!-AR's on the shelves-!!!

Went to my local shop today to get a quadrail for my brand new LE6920 (Yea me!)

And they had I kid you not, six of them on the shelf!, said they had sold the two colts this morning, had S&W, Bushmaster left.

Was beautiful sight to see things starting to level back out a bit.

Still no ammo though
Old March 1, 2013, 06:49 PM   #2
FoghornLeghorn

I'm already seeing people with ads such as, "For sale, AR with all these features (then they list the features). Need cash."

One guy paid $4500 for his rifle and accoutrements and was asking $3500.

That's going to become commonplace in a few months. I don't attend gun shows anymore, but I think I might go look for the guy who is lugging around a couple of ARs. He might be ready to accept pennies on the dollar.
Old March 1, 2013, 07:11 PM   #3
Puddle

Yep. That is exactly what is going to happen. I am just waiting. Can't wait until all these people start unloading their unfired (because they couldn't find ammunition) rifles.

I thought about selling a few, but didn't want to take the risk.
Old March 1, 2013, 07:18 PM   #4
iraiam

They are on the shelves..., at inflated prices in many stores, I was in a big name sporting goods store when 8 AR15s arrived, they were all marked at the standard prices, at or below MSRP. the were all gone in a matter of hours.

I was in a LGS today with a family member, they had a few ARs, the prices were outrageous, they wanted a high end match grade price for a run of the mill AR15, no thanks.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old March 1, 2013, 08:24 PM   #5
SPEMack618

My local Wal-Mart has gotten into ARs- since the initial rush. One was on the shelf for about a day.

The other last the time it took me to see it in the gun cabinet, walk across the store to produce, call my sister's fiance, and get back to see it gone.
Old March 2, 2013, 12:58 AM   #6
LRChops

National Gun Supply in Loomis California has been getting approximately 6 S&W M4 rifles in each week. They sell fast!
Old March 2, 2013, 05:39 AM   #7
chris in va

Plenty at Knob Creek, about 30% more than before.
Old March 2, 2013, 11:57 AM   #8
Crankgrinder

Last week there were a stock of dpms ar's all different styles and lengths at my lgs. Ammo too albeit at a steep markup. One ar i saw went for 999.00 and on up from there.
Old March 2, 2013, 12:08 PM   #9
Mac 1

It's all for naught if we can't get any ammo. Forget the weapon ban, just control the ammo.
Old March 2, 2013, 12:42 PM   #10
iraiam

The reason we can't find ammo is because it's selling as soon as it hits the shelves, not because someone is "controlling" it.

2 weeks in a row, I witnessed an new shipment of several thousand .223 rounds sell out before noon. I bought 60 rounds just because it's cheaper than the current range ammo prices. I generally shoot 5.56 NATO, I'm not getting into my stash of it while I can't replace it.

I'm down to 60 rounds of 5.56 NATO match ammo, I have been scouring the web for weeks for it, everywhere is out of stock with no backorders, unfortunately it's one of the few loads I cannot duplicate.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old March 2, 2013, 01:14 PM   #11
Texascoonhunter

AR's & Reloading material

AR's will be available in the not too distant future but as I have read in some of the posts, the price is not going to be cheap with the exception of someone who cannot find ammo or is in a financial bind, maybe both. When will powder and primers be available for the reloading public ? is my question. I know we have experienced a huge run on reloading components but surely mfgs will be able to produce powder and primers in large enough qtys to meet demands before long. Anyone have info on any of this ?
Old March 2, 2013, 02:35 PM   #12
Evan Thomas

There's already a thread on the ammo shortage here, for those who want more info/discussion of this.
Old March 2, 2013, 02:36 PM   #13
shootniron

My dealers are getting them in every week...but they ain't cheap.

Last edited by shootniron; March 3, 2013 at 02:00 AM.
Old March 2, 2013, 03:08 PM   #14
lamarw

This past week, I bought a NIB Sig P220R in Nitron with three 8 round magazines from a local gun store for below $575.00. It is probably one of the best if not the best deal I have ever gotten on a new firearm.

There are deals to be had if we get lucky.
Old March 2, 2013, 03:55 PM   #15
iraiam

Quote:
I know we have experienced a huge run on reloading components but surely mfgs will be able to produce powder and primers in large enough qtys to meet demands before long. Anyone have info on any of this ?
I think demand will have to be elevated for an extended period of time for most manufacturers to ramp up to meet it.

The reason is money, adding work shifts (labor), machinery, floor space, comes at a high cost. If they spend a ton of money to meet a certain demand level and then the demand dries up, it will cost them a load of $$.

Now there are manufacturing companies in various industries that have spare production lines, but to start one up is not a light decision, because of the cost of labor and the time it takes to get new employees up to a training/efficiency level.

Old March 2, 2013, 05:22 PM   #16
Glenn E. Meyer

At the LGS, they had a good number but prices are running about $300 to 400 higher. The gun show today had plenty of ARs. Again at higher prices. You could buy a basic Stag, some Colts, Olympic arms for $!200-1300. Some others for $1600.

If you paid 4000 in a panic, you bought the PT Barnum model.

If the Fed bills fail as predicted, watch some come back to the used market.

But I think we will see higher prices forever.
Old March 2, 2013, 06:12 PM   #17
Sabre9mm

I have been seriously considering taking a week vacation and spending all day/night trolling around some propaganda in effort to trigger panic selling!

Seriously though, I agree that eventually unless everyone plans on owning 12 more, the trend will end, and the after panic sales will be nice, the problem will be we have to wait for the guy to realize he is only getting a third back of what he put in...

My last one came at an extra 200ish above what it would have cost before, but I wanted it, so meh.. It is always what a person is willing to pay over cost anyway right?
Old March 2, 2013, 09:15 PM   #18
Joe_Pike

Today I put some money down on a Rock River Elite Operator that the LGS just got in. It's the one with the half quad rail, flip up front sight and rear sight mount that allows you to co-witness with the EOTech. These were $1,000 before the panic. This one came in at $1,099. Rock River raised the price a bit, so, the shop raised their price a little to keep their margin the same as before. Now, I have to decide whether or not to sell the Rock River I built four years ago.
Old March 3, 2013, 12:07 AM   #19
FoghornLeghorn

Case in point. A local lad posted this ad on our local board. Hope things work out for him.

Quote:
I have 2 AR's that I bought but now I need the money instead of the guns so I need to sell them. I am asking $1150 for the bushmaster and $1350 for the M&P 15 text or call ******** I can text pics or email
Old March 3, 2013, 12:39 AM   #20
war_elephant

At the gunshop that I work in, we have raised the prices $10-15 because of the increase in shipping from UPS, still selling them for the same retail prices before the shooting in Conn except for the shipping increase. We take care of our customers, and they take care of us. M&P 15 is still 759 I think. Boss is not going to gouge or raise prices to ridiculous prices, I think when this is all over and prices come back to normal (wherever that ends up) people will remember the shops that gouged, raped and pillaged, and those who dealt fairly with their customers. We are still limiting ammo so everyone can get some but we have been getting more 223, and 556 ammo in. Now if we can just get some .22lr.....