The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old November 26, 2012, 03:45 PM   #26
BlueTrain

Mr MLeake, I was just giving the legal definition. I am in no way taking sides, except on the side of law and order. Anyway, it isn't my definition and for that matter, no one is entitled to have their own definition.

I assume you have served in the National Guard.
Buy War Bonds.
Old November 26, 2012, 03:52 PM   #27
MLeake

BT, United States Navy and United States Navy Reserve, 21 net years.
Old November 26, 2012, 04:10 PM   #28
maestro pistolero

My reply comments section:

Posted today:
Quote:
The headline presumes that the military would be successful, and while that’s not hard to imagine, it is far from certain. There are somewhere in the neighborhood of 300 million guns in the hands of private citizens in this country, approximately 50 million of which are military-style semi-automatic rifles. There aren’t TWO armies in the world which hold that many small arms, let alone in private hands.

If we think it’s a slam dunk that the government would prevail
(in this highly unlikely hypothetical scenario), we might might well examine our ability to crush insurgencies in much less sophisticated environments against opposition that’s significantly less well-heeled.
Also, the article presumes to some extent that the the "Government" is this completely unified front against said hypothetical insurgency devoid of sympathizing patriots.

I hasten to add that I don't see this happening anytime in the foreseeable future. As long as we have the vote, the separation of powers, etc, then the greatest enemies to democracy in this country are ignorance and apathy.

Translation: if we are too lazy and stupid to kick the bums out, then we have no right to complain.
Old November 26, 2012, 04:38 PM   #29
thallub

For well over 50, years the US Army has written scenarios and training exercises around Darlington, SC. In 60, 61 and 62 my EOD unit spent many weeks bivouaced near the Darlinton airport in support of Exercise Swift Strike, the annual 18th Abn Corps training exercise. Three Army divisions wargamed in the piney woods of NC and SC.
Old November 26, 2012, 04:40 PM   #30
Glenn E. Meyer

We really don't want to talk about how such a fight would come down. We are speaking to the legalities.
Old November 26, 2012, 06:58 PM   #31
Dr Big Bird PhD

Quote:
For well over 50, years the US Army has written scenarios and training exercises around Darlington, SC. In 60, 61 and 62 my EOD unit spent many weeks bivouaced near the Darlinton airport in support of Exercise Swift Strike, the annual 18th Abn Corps training exercise. Three Army divisions wargamed in the piney woods of NC and SC.
So am i correct in thinking that I armed forces are actively trained in the hypothetical situation of an armed rebellion?
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old November 26, 2012, 09:04 PM   #32
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Way too Political. Closed.
Closed Thread