The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 2, 2012, 01:50 PM   #51
tkglazie

I use a ton of old mixed range brass for plinking rounds and regularly see cartridges that get post sized by the FCD that would have chambered fine otherwise. Real world example- I can go through 100 old FC 9mm cases without the FCD ring touching the sides of the case at all, and then switch to old R&P cases and the FCD will size the every one, sometimes quite significantly. I keep my P89 barrel at the workstation and have tested many many rounds like this before and after they go through the FCD and they would have worked fine either way. I prefer to postsize the cartridge to make it more uniform for use in other guns but there is no need to. I dont care that the case life is being shortened, I get all the brass I need for free.

The same thing applies to revolver loads. Occasionally the FCD will size my .38 cartridges that would have worked just fine otherwise. Not as often as 9mm and .380 but it happens.