The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 16, 2012, 07:06 PM   #51
Irish B

I would not wait 6 hours at a stand to take a yote!
Old January 16, 2012, 09:43 PM   #52
4runnerman

Still not making excuses,but i think i fell prey to my first Yote ever. excited and nervous,trigger happy. Hope that is all out of me now. I should have tried to call him in closer for sure,but i wanted that yote so bad. Im marking this one up to a green horn( Very Green) mistake that i will not make again. Consentrate and breath this time. I hope by Friday evening i will be posting a pic of my first yote
Old January 16, 2012, 09:49 PM   #53
rickyrick

It is very exiting, I get all worked up when I make the first call of the hunt, like turning the crank on a jack in a box. You don't know when its gonna pop.
Old January 20, 2012, 03:40 PM   #54
4runnerman

Well all.Out at 5:30 AM this morning.All set up with scent,decoy(rabbit) and caller before light.But again old Yote eluded me.Did not see a one today.
Planning on heading out AM again Sat and try again. Hope the Yote God is with me then
Old January 20, 2012, 04:07 PM   #55
rickyrick

Did you hear any coyotes?

I can suggest that you spend a day out scouting for track, poo, and other indicators of favored spots.

Try to figgure out what they've been eating, and focus calls on that.

Soon, they will want to meet other coyotes so try coyote sounds.
Old January 20, 2012, 04:59 PM   #56
4runnerman

Did you hear any coyotes?

Lord if i only could. Sorry to say i have about a 40% hearing loss. I have the caller 50 yards away from me and i can't hear that on full volume. I do see tracks and my boss (lives were i hunt) say's him and his wife hear them every day. There are lots of deer and a cow farm all with in 5 miles of where i hunt.

He says when they shoot their deer evry year the next day all remains are gone by the next day,so i have to assume there is more than just afew there.

I will keep trying,Im bound to get one sooner or later
Old January 20, 2012, 05:09 PM   #57
rickyrick

You can tell a lot if you hear them.

Where they're at.

What they're doing.

How many.

Are there females.

Do they know if you are there.

Absence of hearing them does not necessarily mean anything, but for sure hearing them means a great deal.

If I have time I wait to hear them before I start calling.
Plus that gives time for any news of my arrival to be forgotten.
Old January 20, 2012, 05:11 PM   #58
rickyrick

Sorry, I replied before the edit.
Old January 21, 2012, 06:58 AM   #59
"JJ"

I am sorry to hear about your hearing loss. I hope you are wearing hearing protection to protect the 60% you have left! You said you have the call on "full volume", this could be keping them away. I read where a coyote can pinpoint a mouse's location down to a few feet from 100s of yards away. The have some excellent hearing. They can sense something isn't right when the close the distance and the rabbit is still screaming like a jet engine! Try to start out on low volume and work your way up. Run a minute long burst and sit in silence for 2 or 3 mins or so. Allow the coyote to be hunting the source when it arrives. This is when a motion decoy is worth its weight in gold! Repeat this and increase the volume a little each time. Then, when done with the stand, wait several minutes in silence just incase the louder calls are bringing in a distant coyote! Keep reviewing your hunts and learning from them. Try to figure out what can be improved and it wil happen!
Old January 21, 2012, 09:27 AM   #60
4runnerman

Thanks for the pointers jj. I never thought about that. I will give it a try. This caller has 15 different sounds on it and the only one i use is the rabbit in distress call and once every now and then the mouse call. I have a lot to learn and im working on it,Thanks to all your and other peoples help.
Old January 21, 2012, 01:27 PM   #61
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I'd figure on starting at maybe half-volume, and after the first call or two, scale back to under one-fourth. Full volume? I doubt a coyote would want to tangle with a 400-pound rabbit.
Old January 28, 2012, 12:12 AM   #62
OkieGentleman

Calling Coyotes

Get an electronic caller, set the speaker up about 50 ft from your stand and up wind. Put a fluter lure ( a bird wind on flexible rod will do). Run your call for 3 or 4 minutes at a low volume, in case one is bedded down very close. If no action turn the volume up a bit, but don't try and blast them out of the woods. If no action after 5 minutes shut down the operation and take a 30 minute break (no smoking). Then try a pup distress call for about 5 minutes, if still no action move to new location at least 300 yards up wind.

The last time I called coyotes, one almost ran over me getting to that fluter lure with the call going. Scared H out of both of us, my brother laughed so hard the coyote got to live another day.
Old January 28, 2012, 02:07 AM   #63
BIG P

A good heavy camera tripod & camo pants leg make a sling & a light folding chair make a good shooting station easy in & out.
Old January 28, 2012, 03:02 PM   #64
4runnerman

Thanks for everyones input here. But after today now(did not see a one). I will be the first to admitt--I SUCK at coyote hunting.. I think if i could find one i would be able to shoot it. I think i need to go with a seasoned vet a few times and maybe that will help. Coyote tracks all over where im hunting,but i have yet to see one other than the one time out. I will not give up,but man maybe i should take up deer hunting again.Seems like everytime i go out i could blast at least 5 of them.
Old January 28, 2012, 05:42 PM   #65
rickyrick

Don't give up, it'll happen.

If you find enjoyment in the outdoors then just have fun trying.

It is possible to hunt without calling. Set up on one of those trails with the wind in your favor and wait.

Also as an experiment, I put out some spoiled chicken and they came.
My camera shows them coming back to check and I've only done it once.

I am still learning all about coyotes that I can.....we will all learn together here.
Old January 28, 2012, 07:08 PM   #66
biohazurd

I almost always hunt yotes and big game from a stand. I just really like the better view.
Old January 30, 2012, 01:05 PM   #67
rickyrick

I put some more chicken out. Figure If they kept coming back and checking the same spot I'll try to get them to associate my aroma with happy thoughts.
Old January 30, 2012, 01:13 PM   #68
johnwilliamson062

I just hope it is like deer hunting. You go out, get comfortable, fall asleep, and when you wake up a deer is 15 yds away looking at you.
Old January 31, 2012, 06:22 AM   #69
rickyrick

LOL, I've done that without the animal showing up. When sitting with my back against a partially consumed round bale. When you start to slump to the side, the hay makes a scary noise LOL.
Old January 31, 2012, 08:56 AM   #70
ltc444

Enjoyed this thread. Lots of good info. thanks.
Old February 1, 2012, 10:39 PM   #71
BIG P

Set up today on a power line behind some chicken houses.Been after a pack for 3 weeks now today was the day they came out in the open power line @ 400yds. put the cross hairs on top of his head sent a load of high speed lead poison from a 25-06 ended his days got two more in the next 10 mins.Thought that was pretty good shooting for a old man.
I know I liked it way better than they did. LOL.