The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 2, 2011, 08:10 PM   #26
Shotgun693

Shucking the shell off is easy, just run your blade along the edge and it'll peel like an orange. The belly hide is as tough as anything I've ever skinned. I got to where I kept a stone handy to resharpen.
Old December 2, 2011, 08:30 PM   #27
nate45

Its all fun and games until you run into the Giant Armadillo.

They've ripped car roofs off and flipped semis over.
Old December 2, 2011, 10:58 PM   #28
BIG P

The only thing a dilla is good for is eating yellow jackets,I seen what I thought was yellow jackets killing one but it was the other way around,So I let him get finished eating bugs then shot him.

Last edited by JohnKSa; December 3, 2011 at 12:19 PM. Reason: .
Old December 3, 2011, 09:06 AM   #29
Rifleman1776

What Paw Paw said. Hit 'em with a .22 and they run off to die. No muss no fuss.
Old December 4, 2011, 08:10 AM   #30
devildog66

"When I was in the cattle business, I shot every armadillo that came across my path. I hated dragging the darn things off, so I learned that if I put a lung shot through them with a .22LR, they'd jump straight up in the air, then head for their hole at a dead run. Self-burying varmints. It don't get better than that."

That is just a classic. Still chuckling over that description.
Old December 4, 2011, 09:33 PM   #31
603Country

I was walking to a deer stand in Texas once and came upon an armadillo rooting around in the leaves. The ground and leaves were damp from rain, so I wasn't making any noise as I snuck up on him. They have good ears and good noses, but their eyesight is poor. Since I was going hunting, I didn't plan to shoot him (too much noise on a peaceful calm day), so I got right behind him and goosed him with the end of the rifle barrel. That dillo jumped about a foot in the air and came down looking all around. He saw my leg, but to him that was just a tree trunk. After he puzzled on whatever it might have been that goosed him, he went back to rooting in the leaves. I goosed him again and he jumped at least a foot in the air. When he landed he really had a strange look on his face, like maybe the area was haunted. He was quite disturbed by being goosed, so he slowly crept off, looking back often. He never made a sound during the whole episode. I know that I'd have at least squeaked if I was goosed by an invisible hand.
Old December 5, 2011, 07:09 PM   #32
Major Dave (retired)

Buzzcock

What do you mean,..."It's not like you are going to throw them into the stew pot"!

Armadillo are DELICIOUS!!!
Old December 5, 2011, 07:39 PM   #33
briandg

There's a picture in my high school year book of one of the bio teachers. he had an armadillo shell that he had made into a hat. Can't remember right now, but I believe that the tail hung off of one side and the head down the other.

As you can tell, seeing uncle goober wearing his armadillo helmet in class kinda marks a person.

Given a choice, I'd rather have seen him wearing nothing but his spongebob thong and a ski mask than see him at his desk with that thing on his head.
Old December 12, 2011, 12:55 AM   #34
The Kill Dozer

What does an armadillo taste like?? IMO They look so nasty under that shell I couln't imagine eating one. Like I said.. That's just me..
Old December 12, 2011, 02:02 AM   #35
TheDeej

I have never eaten one. I know guys who do it all the time here though. It's a big deal around the quail unlimited hunts every year. When I was a driver the hunters would talk about an expensive banquet they were going to, a "wild game" dinner. The next day they would ask us if it is a normal thing to eat Possums, rattlesnake, dillos, coon, bush tails or woodpecker. I have eaten all but armadillo. Come to find out these expensive banquets were just the plantation farmers family making money off the poor saps.

I have shot many of them. They can be tricky (at least for me, never hunted at all), they hop around and just Sprint for no reason sometime. I use a canned 10/22 to keep my wife off my back. Never had a problem until one crawled up and died under the house. Three days of south Georgia heat let us know he was under there. She found him, bullet hole in his chest, she knew who did it. She now keeps that gun under her bed at night.....

I just got approved for a 5.56 can recently.... The fun continues!
Old December 12, 2011, 08:31 PM   #36
The Kill Dozer

You gonna go AR, or bolt action? Getting new guns.. Makes you feel like a little kid at Christmas all over again
Old December 12, 2011, 10:10 PM   #37
603Country

I love shooting armadillos, but almost made a big mistake this evening. After deer hunting, I pointed the Kubota RTV toward the mailbox that's about half a mile down the gravel road. Got the mail and started heading back. It was dark by then and I could see an armadillo in the headlights, running straight away from me down the road. I sped up, with rifle in lap, to catch him and do him harm. Got right in behind the dillo to where I could see him good and he magically became a skunk (and a big one). OooooKay....hit the brakes and back off. Happily, I guess he wasn't irritated by my motorized antics. Now I think I'll get the spotlight and go look in the yard. Maybe there's a dillo out there.
Old December 12, 2011, 10:45 PM   #38
1hogfan83

Their fun as all get out to shoot. Pretty much any kinda gun you can can kill them. I would suggest an AR-15, mini 14, ect. Something in .223 or small, fast caliber. You wanna see an explosion, hit one with a .270WSM. Then you wont have any mess to clean up. happy hunting, kill em all!
Old December 12, 2011, 11:07 PM   #39
langenc

Try dillo on a half shell!!! Great.
Old December 12, 2011, 11:07 PM   #40
The Kill Dozer

Me and my friend were out shooting armadillos; he had his savage .17 and I had my marlin 795 22lr! He shot one that, no lie, blew the shell and most of his back muscle close to his neck! The dang thing preceeded to hop around and try to find his hole -the best he could- for about 2 minutes! I've personally shot them in the midsection, guts hanging out, and still run off!! Tough little dudes. Are count right now is at about 32.. in 3 or 4 trips out
Old December 13, 2011, 12:17 AM   #41
Big Yac

if you want to use it for deer too why not jump up just a little bit to a .243? Recoil is still very manageable and the little extra power cant hurt plus the .243 is a pretty flat shooting round.
Old December 14, 2011, 10:16 AM   #42
NickN723

My grandpa's neighbor decided that his .22 wouldn't be enough to get through the shell so he decided to use his 30-30. He only did that once before he decided it was more work to clean up all the pieces than to just use the .22
Old December 22, 2011, 01:42 AM   #43
barnetmill

I suspect that a gun is not necessary for killing armadillos. I have never tried it but it seems like you could run one down and kill it with a club.
Old December 22, 2011, 08:45 AM   #44
wcar

They can run a lot faster than you might think!
Old December 22, 2011, 11:57 AM   #45
vacation

Armadillos carry leprosy...yup leprosy. Google it and you will see.
I shoot them all the time with my .45 cowboy action gun and its a blast
Old December 22, 2011, 12:13 PM   #46
VINCENT1

hate these little creatures. a few times per year they show up for a week or so and "airate" my yard for me. near break my knee or ankle every time. they showed up 3 days ago. thinking about staying up tonight to do some "plinking" when they arrive. unfortunatly we have been having a big bear visiting this week to and i dont want to deal with her if need be
Old December 22, 2011, 12:19 PM   #47
C0untZer0

Quote:
My grandpa's neighbor decided that his .22 wouldn't be enough to get through the shell so he decided to use his 30-30. He only did that once before he decided it was more work to clean up all the pieces than to just use the .22
People either already know or soon find out that the .22 has it's uses. Not only is it a versatile cartridge, but there are some things, like killing rats, prairie dogs, and other smallish varmints, where larger hunting catridges can't be substituted.
Old January 14, 2012, 05:37 PM   #48
450NE

Have you ever seen them taxidermy'd into a purse? Pretty cool.