The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 21, 2011, 07:52 PM   #26
Don P

Quote:
Could anyone who reads Arabic tell me what the writing foreward of the trigger and beneath the barrel mean? "If found please return to..."?
It says come meet the 70 virgins.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old October 21, 2011, 08:39 PM   #27
Shadi Khalil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skadoosh View Post
In my personal experience in certain middle eastern countries, seemingly everyone has a rifle. They hardly garner any attention from the locals. However they do notice when someone displays a pistol. Pistols arent very common. That person usual gets some form of deference/ respect because in their eyes that person usually has some authority.
I don't know if that's the case any more, save a handful of regions. Egypt, Lebanon, Syria, Jordan, Lybia before the upheaval, the entire arab peninsula, all those counties have strict regulations on civilian gun ownership. Even in the Gaza strip guns are for the most part tightly under the control of the various factions who carry weight. Nobody goes swaggering about to the local grocery store with an AK slung over their shoulder. That's a fast away to end in a dungeon or if your lucky, a bullet in the head. Now I'll certainly agree that the sight of a automatic weapon in public garners little interest with the locals but that's because it's almost always in the hands of some sort of authority. It's the same situation in Israel. There are places with Arabic speaking people where everyone and their cousin Abdullah has a rifle but those places are not in the middle east. South Sudan (africa), Somalia (africa), Portions of Algeria (africa), Portions of the Sub-Saharah, Tribal Regions of Pakistan (asia) and Afganistan (asia). Other than Iraq and portions of Yemen, guns are few and far between in the hands of civilians.
Old October 21, 2011, 09:46 PM   #28
9mm

Quote:
I recall them interviewing an Iraqi gun store owner before Gulf War II - surprising - they had gun stores. Folks were stocking up and he had a big poster for the 1951s.

I saw a video before, I forget it was Iran or Iraq, but they had gun stores in villages, it was like $35 usd for a handgun, people made their own guns there, with the US troops came they rushed out to pick up their shell casings to make reloads. People shoot guns off in alleyway/in the air to test fire.
Old October 21, 2011, 09:57 PM   #29
hardworker

Damn, if only Gaddafi had taken the time to post a picture of that next to some gaudy pocket knife and his cell phone, then we could really critique him.
Old October 21, 2011, 09:59 PM   #30
9mm

lol

I bet he had a satellite phone.
Old October 21, 2011, 11:17 PM   #31
Shadi Khalil

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mm View Post
I saw a video before, I forget it was Iran or Iraq, but they had gun stores in villages, it was like $35 usd for a handgun, people made their own guns there, with the US troops came they rushed out to pick up their shell casings to make reloads. People shoot guns off in alleyway/in the air to test fire.
I'm pretty sure the video you are taking about was in pakistan. However if it was between Iraq and Iran, it would have to be Iraq since american troops have never openly walked the streets of Iran... Not yet at least...
Old October 21, 2011, 11:55 PM   #32
Kaiser T

الفاتح شمس لن تغیب These words etched on the frame ahead of the trigger broadly mean: "The victorious sun shall never set"

PS: Pardon my poor command of Arabic.

Last edited by Kaiser T; October 22, 2011 at 12:13 AM.
Old October 22, 2011, 12:35 AM   #33
Code3GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadi Khalil View Post
I'm pretty sure the video you are taking about was in pakistan. However if it was between Iraq and Iran, it would have to be Iraq since american troops have never openly walked the streets of Iran... Not yet at least...
I saw that show and i think it was Pakistan. Good documentary from what I remember!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk
Old October 22, 2011, 02:52 AM   #34
RsqVet

Can I just point one thing out... the guys is on the run and that's the gun he takes with him?

Idiot.. yeah that thing will not stick out at all, sure it blends well. Was he wearing a gold rolex too? Guess he thought that the day would never come.

Glad that it did.
Old October 22, 2011, 09:15 AM   #35
FairWarning

^^^^

Gaddafi was not a gunfighter, he was a maniuplator of men. He had no intention of being involved in door to door combat as long as he had cronies.
Old October 22, 2011, 09:59 AM   #36
Dashunde

I wonder if he ever used that particular gun to eliminate someone.
It seems plausable that he would occasionally "renew" his brutality and remind those around him that he can and will personally pull a trigger.
Perhaps an event saved for a traitor or similar?
Old October 22, 2011, 10:10 AM   #37
EdInk

I think it's a nice looking highly embellished symbol of authority. I wouldn't mind if some of our high ranking military people wore a nice looking sidearm. (However, I would prefer something more like Patton's SAA for American Generals and equivalent ranks.) Perhaps a TASTEFULLY engraved 1911 or something could work. I think keep the gold to a minimum or not all though.
Old October 22, 2011, 10:14 AM   #38
Catfishman

What does the '32' near the muzzle indicate?
Old October 22, 2011, 10:25 AM   #39
ILLINI

Quote:
Could anyone who reads Arabic tell me what the writing foreward of the trigger and beneath the barrel mean?
Its some form of Elvish, but in the common tongue it says, "One Gun to rule them all, One Gun to find them, One Gun to bring them all and in the darkness bind them!"
Old October 22, 2011, 11:22 AM   #40
Master Blaster 2

I have a satin nickle Desert Eagle with gold apointments. Does that make me a dictator?
Old October 22, 2011, 12:21 PM   #41
Jason_G

Quote:
The one I have not found out about, was the one taken from Sadam by our walking heros
I don't know about the one that was taken from him, but it has been said that he was very partial to the BHP as well. I have seen video of him shooting one into the air while he was standing on a balcony over a mass of his supporters (pre Desert Shield/Storm, IIRC).

Quote:
I have a satin nickle Desert Eagle with gold apointments. Does that make me a dictator?
No, but it does mean you probably own a matching cane, a fuzzy hat, and a fur coat. Just pickin'.

Jason
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." -Amendment II, Constitution of the United States of America
Old October 22, 2011, 12:51 PM   #42
Patriot86

I remember a story right after 9/11 about Afghanistan. Basically , they had little cottage industries set up EVERYWHERE building unlicensed AK-47's, 74's and other eastern block guns. They even showed an AK-47 with a Polished SS finish it was very nice looking.
Old October 22, 2011, 01:18 PM   #43
dsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser T
الفاتح شمس لن تغیب These words etched on the frame ahead of the trigger broadly mean: "The victorious sun shall never set"

PS: Pardon my poor command of Arabic.
I just asked my Algerian co-worker what it said, and he said "the sun will never set", so your translation is definitely in the ballpark.

EDIT: He said it can also mean "the victorious liberator will never set".

It's usually hard to directly translate foreign phrases into English. There's always more than one way to say it.

Last edited by dsk; October 22, 2011 at 01:27 PM.
Old October 22, 2011, 04:53 PM   #44
Sharpsdressed Man

"Can I just point one thing out... the guys is on the run and that's the gun he takes with him?

Idiot.. yeah that thing will not stick out at all, sure it blends well. Was he wearing a gold rolex too? Guess he thought that the day would never come.

Glad that it did." AH, I don't know if you know this, but a Browning Hi Power (dressed up or plain) WILL kill you, just as much as any other tactical 9mm. Just ask the British SAS. They packed them for years, as their CHOICE for special ops, as did our FBI in the very early days of HRT. Many people still prefer the BHP to the 1911 because they have come to trust them, and find their handling personally superior to the 1911. To each their own. It is a great defensive pistol. Engraving and gold plating takes nothing away from that. At least he went out in style..
Old October 22, 2011, 05:02 PM   #45
graysmoke

Gaddafi Duck carried a 9mm Tanfoglio TZ-75 .... Made in Italy...Since his death, prices on that handgun have gone up in value....Why?...Who Knows.
Old October 22, 2011, 05:24 PM   #46
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadi Khalil View Post
I have not seen pictures of his gun yet. Interesting. If you look closely, you'll see some arabic writting in black. The only word I could make out was the last one (right to left) which says "Gahdaffi". I suck at reading arabic but I'll ask my dad to translate on sunday and report back.

TFL Resident Arab American, OUT!
I'm with Shadi, Lebanese...with some other nationalities. Speak..yes. read and write. Eh...I'll ask baba too.

SA 1911 - XD45 - G21sf - G22 - G27 - Hk USP 40 - SIG P226 E2 - Browning High-Power - S&W M19-3 - CZ-82 - S&W 642 - Remington 870
Old October 22, 2011, 05:47 PM   #47
MikeNice81

Quote:
Gaddafi was not a gunfighter,
He was a legit military Colonel before the coup that put him in power. People forget that he was a deadly man with deadly training. I'm guessing he thought he would at least get a trial like Sadam.
Old October 22, 2011, 07:28 PM   #48
vandyatc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skans View Post
People with gold engraved guns are not long for this world.
I wonder if owners of golden guns statistically live shorter lives? I bet that may be true. There has to be a couple old dictators that skew the age up, but for each of those there are probably 15 drug runners!
Old October 22, 2011, 07:40 PM   #49
Patriot86

Doesn't the Brady campaign claim that more people are shot with their own guns, than defend themselves successfully? Well I guess they were right in this case.

http://www.news.com.au/top-stories/g...-1226174026747

Quote:
"Gaddafi was first captured by rebels from the east," the source said. "Then the Misrata group showed up to take him. The eastern rebels didn't like this and the soldier pulled Ghadafi's golden gun and shot him, telling the Misrata guys, 'You can have him now'."
Old October 22, 2011, 09:40 PM   #50
jaughtman

My BHP.....

probably shoots rings around it.....I want it, however.

J

Tags
general , identification , semiautomatic pistols , spectulation