The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 24, 2011, 06:53 PM   #1
jrhilde

P-38 grips--

I just bought a nice Walther P-38 today and would like to replace the original grip panels--the gun was manufactured in 1941, is in very good condition, but the grip panels have an over all oil stained look and really detract from the piece---I would appreciate any info on a good place to go for new grips--thanks------John
Old October 24, 2011, 07:06 PM   #2
ZEBRARANGER

Are you looking for original grips or wood? CDNN and Sportsmans Guide has the P38/P1 Black Synthetic Grips, they are post war though. Gripsforguns.com has them in wood. I put wood on mine a couple of years ago.
Old October 24, 2011, 10:02 PM   #3
priler

WOW ZEBRARANGER,that is one nice looking p38/p1 with those wood grips. i had to stare at it for a while.nice black finish too.

i've seen lots of different options on grips for them. do a wide search everywhere to get what you want. bakelite(gunbroker and others) in different shades,wood in different colors,plastic in black and i think brown,they're out there. nill grips has some nice but expensive ones too.
Old October 24, 2011, 11:47 PM   #4
Idaho Spud

Don't know if this will help, but...... http://www.robertrtg.com/contact-us.html
Old October 25, 2011, 03:25 AM   #5
tipoc

This last post above is spam.

tipoc
Old October 25, 2011, 04:31 PM   #6
jrhilde

Thanks for the suggestions on where to look guys---Got to agree, those wood grips are very sharp---I'll for sure hang on to the original grip panels though due to I think I got lucky on this deal--It was manufactured in "41", all the serial numbers match, came with the holster and extra mag and is in approx 85% condition--I've already had an offer of $300 over what I paid for it, but these have always been a favorite of mine so I think I'll just keep it---John
Old October 25, 2011, 05:02 PM   #7
jmstr

grips for guns dot com is a domain for sale now. Is the store gone? Or was there another provider?

Loved the grips though: wish I could get some.

Edit: Found it: Grips4guns.com, not 'for'.
Old October 25, 2011, 05:08 PM   #8
James K
Member In Memoriam

If you have a matching 1941 P.38, your gun should have brown plastic grips, not wood, so I don't understand how they could "stain". Some have a sort of mottled look but that is normal.

Those early P.38s are getting scarce, and expensive, so I strongly recommend not messing with one in nice original condition.

Jim
Old October 26, 2011, 07:03 AM   #9
jrhilde

Oh no, not going to mess with it at all--I'm finding out it has a fair amount of collector value as is--the mottled look is what I was referring to, the grips are plastic, looks like they would have been a shiny black originally, but now have dull orange splotches and the surface is sort of uneven looking--I'm sure this is probabely typical due to the age and possibly normal wear--just that the overall look would be enhanced with a set of nice looking grips, but of course keep the originals-----John
Old October 26, 2011, 09:15 AM   #10
group17

You should check CDNN under grips
http://www.cdnninvestments.com/wap3blsygrus.html
Old October 26, 2011, 09:57 AM   #11
Idaho Spud

tipoc said:

This last post above is spam.

tipoc
Not sure how you conclude that. Too much medical maryjane, perhaps? I bought recoil springs, guide rods, and some other stuff for a P-1 some time ago from this site. Good people. Just trying to help this guy. You need to get outta Kalif. That's what I did 7 years ago.

Edit: Maybe this is preferable? http://www.robertrtg.com/p1.html

Last edited by Idaho Spud; October 26, 2011 at 10:07 AM.
Old October 26, 2011, 09:15 PM   #12
jrhilde

Thanks again --- Found exactly what I wanted from Grips4guns--nice figured wood with the horizontal slots, just like the originals---I'll put em on when I get them and then post a couple photos--------John