The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old March 6, 2011, 06:30 PM   #1
rottieman33

Skeet Shooting With Saiga 12

Took my Saiga 12 to local skeet range today and tried it out doing skeet. When I first got there couple people told me I couldn't shoot that gun cause its not a proper skeet gun. So I went to one of the people that manage the skeet shoot on Sundays and asked him. He said there is no law saying i can't shoot that gun, well that ****** some people off. My first round sucked but did better on the second. But after my 3rd round wasn't missing and clays and people were coming over to ask me after about the gun and want to try it. I think I got some people interested in the Saiga 12's. One was a local Police officer loaded him up a 10 round mag as fast as the clays coming out of the houses he was hitting them he loved the gun. He said to me after "with this gun we could start a whole new type of skeet shoot". My Saiga 12 is bone stock except for the barrel shroud made by 1Alumalite. I guess the got a big skeet shoot next Sunday and was asked to come back so the Police Officer can show my gun to people and maybe get a new style of skeet game going. As you can tell I had Great Sunday except for a couple of snobs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 004 (3).JPG (173.3 KB, 180 views)
Old March 6, 2011, 06:46 PM   #2
oneounceload

Quote:
One was a local Police officer loaded him up a 10 round mag
Nice your 10-round mag was allowed - it wouldn't happen at any skeet club I have ever been to due to safety, nor would I want it to happen. Skeet is an orchestrated clay game - glad it worked for you
Old March 6, 2011, 06:55 PM   #3
zippy13

Quote:
One was a local Police officer loaded him up a 10 round mag as fast as the clays coming out of the houses he was hitting them he loved the gun.
And you wonder why some folks weren't overjoyed to see you and your Saiga arrive -- they weren't snobs, they just anticipated your foolery. Loading up a 10-round mag at most Skeet fields will get you eighty-sixed as an unsafe shooter. Skeet is shot with a max of two shells loaded.
Old March 6, 2011, 07:01 PM   #4
rottieman33

When I was shooting skeet it was just 2 rounds in the mag. The officer used the 10 round when everybody was done just to see if he could hit 10 skeets in a row none stop. And I used a 5 round mag with just 2 rounds.
Old March 6, 2011, 07:07 PM   #5
sirsloop

Its funny to see all the ruffled feathers when a "tactical" shotgun shows up at a clay range. My friend was told he could not shoot his 590A1 at sporting clays because "it was dangerous". He asked how it was any more dangerous than any other shotgun and they responded "you won't do well with that gun". He asked them to not worry about his score as he wanted to shoot anyways and they simply told him it was against the rules. Hey, its their range, but its complete BS. If you want to bring a Saiga 12 to a skeet range, more power to ya. Ya you'll be doing a lot of mag loading which could be distracting to other shooters. Whatever, I say its fair game.
Old March 6, 2011, 07:12 PM   #6
Technosavant

I use my S12 occasionally, but it isn't that well suited to it. I do get funny looks from some, but most are cool with it.

As for the mag limits, more than 2 at a time is the general rule, but my view is that so long as you remain at one station, you will be no less safe with ten than with two. As always, observe the rules of the club and be safe.

Sent from my MB300 using Tapatalk
Old March 6, 2011, 07:21 PM   #7
rottieman33

What i was told if it shoots 7 1/2 or 8 shot and gun is unloaded until you get to station you can shot any type of shot gun. And when i loaded up the 10 round mag for the officer he stayed at one station and was shooting by himself so there was no foolery being done by me. Skeet and trap is a time to have fun but not act like a retard when shooting with other people. When I said snob, I meant people don't think you should do skeet or trap unless you have a O/U or side by side shot gun.
Old March 6, 2011, 07:45 PM   #8
zippy13

Quote:
When I was shooting skeet it was just 2 rounds in the mag. The officer used the 10 round when everybody was done just to see if he could hit 10 skeets in a row none stop.
I'm reminded of the time I was completing the paper work late one Sunday afternoon after a week-end long tournament. It was pretty close to closing time; but, there was still some shooting at the trap field closest to the clubhouse. I went outside to deposit the receipts at Rangemaster's office, there were guns going off and targets flying, but nobody at the trap line. I figured they were shooting from behind the safety fence -- a technical violation of the safety rules. But, like many clubs, the boomer boys are given an opportunity for long range trap late in the day. I looked behind the fence and still nobody! Then I realized, they were shooting from up on the roof! Both of them long time club members and both of them senior police officers. It seems those trusted to enforce the rules are often the first to bend them.
Quote:
And I used a 5 round mag with just 2 rounds.
Bravo! At least you were following the general safety precautions.
Quote:
but my view is that so long as you remain at one station, you will be no less safe with ten than with two. As always, observe the rules of the club and be safe.
But, it's not longer Skeet nor Trap.
Old March 6, 2011, 08:07 PM   #9
rottieman33

shooting from the roof is just stupid and asking for trouble.
Old March 6, 2011, 08:21 PM   #10
oneounceload

Quote:
Its funny to see all the ruffled feathers when a "tactical" shotgun shows up at a clay range.
hmmmmmm, and maybe I should take my sporting gun to a tactical match and act unsafe and then how the snobs at a black gun match react.

It has to do with safety - obviously, you are unfamiliar with that requirement on a skeet field - please stay with your pasture clays and leave us safety snobs alone......thank you
Old March 6, 2011, 08:28 PM   #11
ritepath

You do of course realize those that show up for a "civilized" clay shoot, for the most part don't agree with the ownership of "tactical" weapons or for the most part even believe in SD firearms. They don't want "your kind" around their kind.

You don't go to someone elses playground and not play by their rules.
Old March 6, 2011, 08:33 PM   #12
oneounceload

Quote:
You do of course realize those that show up for a "civilized" clay shoot, for the most part don't agree with the ownership of "tactical" weapons or for the most part even believe in SD firearms. They don't want "your kind" around their kind.

You don't go to someone elses playground and not play by their rules.
That would be a WRONG ASSumption on your part - it does mean that there is a time and place for everything, and a skeet field is NOT the place for a Saiga, especially with 10-round mags....try again
Old March 6, 2011, 08:39 PM   #13
10mmAuto

Quote:
Its funny to see all the ruffled feathers when a "tactical" shotgun shows up at a clay range
While at a trap shooting range I was told I needed to remove my pistol because it was "unsafe" in its Blackhawk! Serpa holster. The pistol as a Glock. A safer combination I'd be hard pressed to find. This was during a trap shooting event. No, I wasn't shooting on the line. Generally speaking, I'm amused by how anti-gun these gun owners were.
Old March 6, 2011, 08:41 PM   #14
oneounceload

Did you really feel the need to have a pistol during a clay target match? REALLY? Were you afraid of being mugged/raped during the match or in the parking lot? REALLY?

Time to unwind the tinfoil hat please
Old March 6, 2011, 08:45 PM   #15
10mmAuto

Quote:
Time to unwind the tinfoil hat please
There were 300 rather angry old men there all armed to teeth themselves so on the rationality of carry continuum I'd say this was very close to "most rational". Interestingly, the range master agreed with me and told me he concealed carries during every event.
Old March 6, 2011, 08:48 PM   #16
oneounceload

Concealed carry....but you mentioned you were either "made" or obviously seen..........which was it?
Old March 6, 2011, 08:50 PM   #17
10mmAuto

Quote:
Concealed carry....but you mentioned you were either "made" or obviously seen..........which was it?
I was openly carrying because I didn't see one holstered Glock on someone who is obviously an off duty soldier being too intimidating amongst 300+ old men with 2 shotguns each. If you've got a real problem with that, see above post about anti-gun gun owners.
Old March 6, 2011, 08:55 PM   #18
rottieman33

I guess oneonceload needs glasses cause he can't read post right. I shot with a 5 round mag with only 2 rounds at a time. The officer shot a full 10 round all by himself. with me there pushing the buttons to send the clays. Your range rules maybe different then my range rules. Nobody there had a problem with it if they did they should of said some thing. when I was shooting I would shot my 2 rounds make sure the bolt is open and the mag was out of the gun before i left that station. And while i was waiting for the other shooters to finish the barrel of the gun was on my foot. I would load my mag up with 2 more rounds but then it stayed in my bag until it was my time to shoot. How is that being unsafe. and when the officer shot my gun everybody was done for the day.
Old March 6, 2011, 08:55 PM   #19
oneounceload

hmmmmmmmmm, you felt threatened by those old men and their trap guns? Maybe they felt threatened by you.

Maybe there should be some test for gun owners, including common sense - I don't have the problem, I don't feel threatened enough to have to open carry a gun - sorry you seem to feel that way - maybe you should stick to video games and indoor pistol ranges, or learn how to carry concealed.
Old March 6, 2011, 08:57 PM   #20
oneounceload

Quote:
I guess oneonceload needs glasses cause he can't read post right.
Perhaps you can spell my screen name right - maybe you need glasses to read right

It doesn't matter, certain places are OK for certain guns, and some places are not - it isn't hard to understand
Old March 6, 2011, 09:00 PM   #21
10mmAuto

Quote:
Maybe there should be some test for gun owners, including common sense - I don't have the problem, I don't feel threatened enough to have to open carry a gun - sorry you seem to feel that way - maybe you should stick to video games and indoor pistol ranges, or learn how to carry concealed
"Obviously everyone who carries is a paranoid mall ninja."
Excellent job demonstrating what I said in my OP about anti-gun gun owners.
Old March 6, 2011, 09:01 PM   #22
sirsloop

Quote:
hmmmmmm, and maybe I should take my sporting gun to a tactical match and act unsafe and then how the snobs at a black gun match react.

It has to do with safety - obviously, you are unfamiliar with that requirement on a skeet field - please stay with your pasture clays and leave us safety snobs alone......thank you
I must be missing something. I hope you are not inferring that by simply owning a Saiga 12, it means you are an unsafe shooter! Explain to me how shooting a Saiga 12 on a skeet range is any more dangerous than shooting any other firearm. With the simple addition of a breech flag, all at the range can rest easy that you are not walking around loaded. While you are shooting, you only have two in the mag. The rest of the time the mag is OUT of the gun, and the breech flag is IN. I'd venture to say that's SAFER than that double barrel I've been swept with a bazillion times at the range.
Old March 6, 2011, 09:01 PM   #23
zippy13

Quote:
While at a trap shooting range I was told I needed to remove my pistol because it was "unsafe"
As a general safety rule, you are allowed to have ammo only in the gauge of the gun your are shooting -- this could be broadly enforced to include pistol ammo. At one of my clubs there is a rule: Guests must be accompanied at all times. Are you supposed to accompany your guest to the toilet?
Old March 6, 2011, 09:01 PM   #24
rottieman33

Then the way I look at it is. If you don't like the gun I am shooting then you can leave.
Old March 6, 2011, 09:03 PM   #25
oneounceload

Quote:
"Obviously everyone who carries is a paranoid mall ninja."
Excellent job demonstrating what I said in my OP about anti-gun gun owners.
where did that crap come from? Wow, never said that - try again

People like you make me want to vote for gun control though
Closed Thread