The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 11, 2010, 02:25 AM   #1
dec41971

2 guys attack a guy in a wheelchair and one winds up dead.

I know this is kind of old, but I am surprised a guy who knew the victim decides to attack a guy in a wheelchair. Are there no boundaries with these crooks! Man oh man, was he in for a surprise! This one perp who 100% got what he deserved.

http://www.wftv.com/news/21970571/detail.html
Old June 11, 2010, 02:35 AM   #2
Retired15T

Criminals are losing more and more of what little amount of decency they have. This is a very strong argument against gun control.

That guy is dead due to HIS decisions. Sucks to be him doesn't it? I applaud the man in the wheel chair!! Nice shootin Tex!
Old June 11, 2010, 02:55 AM   #3
Lavid2002

Wow, blew him away....

Good on him
Must have been a taurus judge "Shotgun shells"
Old June 11, 2010, 07:17 AM   #4
LordTio3

Quote:
Nice shootin Tex!
It's good shooting. There's no such thing as nice shooting.

And I agree. 1 less punk that we've got to worry about.

Nice job vic on protecting yourself when the authorities weren't around to do it for you.

~LT
Old June 11, 2010, 07:51 AM   #5
spacecoast

Great story, another Floridian who prepared himself and did not what he wanted but what he needed to do to defend himself. Hopefully this will deter a significant number of BGs from trying similar home invasions.
Old June 11, 2010, 08:12 AM   #6
FreakGasolineFight

The second amendment in action! A+ to the disabled man and may he live out his days in peace from now on.
Old June 11, 2010, 09:07 AM   #7
Barbicatter

Good for the Man the Wheelchair for refusing to be a Victim. I really hate that he had to go through that ordeal.
Old June 11, 2010, 09:31 AM   #8
"JJ"

Thank God Mr Wroblewski was ok. I sure this will be on his mind for a long time.
This is typical of criminals. Like wild dogs, they prey on what they believe to be the weak!
Thankfully, we have the right to even out an uneven fight!

I thought this was kind of interesting!!
"The second suspect, who fled after his partner was shot, was caught Tuesday after a tip led police to his whereabouts.
He will face felony murder charges, because his partner was killed during a crime he was a part of."

Once again "CRIME DOESN"T PAY"!
Old June 11, 2010, 03:23 PM   #9
Jim March

Quote:
Then Wroblewski said he got another shock. He looked at the man he shot, who was wearing a bandanna. The man resembled someone who had pestered him for help over the last couple of months after wandering through his neighborhood. The man, officers said, was 24-year-old Jeffrey Kenney and, in fact, it was Kenney who attacked Wroblewski.
OH MY GOD, HE KILLED KENNEY!

Sorry. Had to. Bad Jim.
Old June 11, 2010, 03:26 PM   #10
grubbylabs

So How many of you answer the door with a gun on you or within reach? While these stories bring about emotional responses I think it is important to remember what we can learn from them.

I have a large glass window next to the door so I can see who is there, plus my doors are basically giant windows that open as well so getting a good view of who is there is easy. If I am not expecting some one then I go prepared.

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)
Old June 11, 2010, 04:03 PM   #11
pacerdude

Grubbylabs, unless I know the person at the door, or am expecting a package then I answer the door with my pistol on me, or near me.

Call me paranoid, but I feel better answering the door to a stranger when I am armed. YMMV
Old June 11, 2010, 04:17 PM   #12
grubbylabs

And you are exactly right to do so. I think we need to spend a little more time figuring out what we can learn from examples like this and less time saying how great it was that he had to take a life.

For example, I think it said he new the guy because he came to the door once before. Should his previous behavior have thrown up some red flags?

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)
Old June 11, 2010, 08:38 PM   #13
45Gunner

This truly is a case of a domestic terrorist...picking on a guy in a wheelchair. How low can one go? A friend who is a near-retirement LEO keeps telling me that people are crazy to go out of their homes unarmed. He never mentioned about being armed while staying home. I will have to give this story to him to see if he doesn't add this to what he says.

It appears that no matter who you are or where you are, expect trouble to find you and one best be prepared as this wheelchair bound gentleman was deal with it.
NRA Life Member
Old July 4, 2010, 09:55 PM   #14
Sefner

--this part redacted due to post being referenced being removed--

On topic: This man must read these forums. He answered the door with his firearm. He also positions his wheelchair so that the opening door would not wheel him backwards. He must have trained to fire from laying on the ground, because he landed three shots from that position. This guy was trained. Two punks picked the wrong house that night.

Last edited by Sefner; July 5, 2010 at 05:47 PM.
Old July 4, 2010, 10:11 PM   #15
OttoJara

Did she say that he shot 3 shot gun bullets? I wonder if he had a Judge.

"A fear of weapons, is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud
Old July 5, 2010, 02:16 AM   #16
BillCA

Quote:
Wroblewski showed Eyewitness News on Tuesday how he lined up the wheels of his wheelchair so the intruders weren't able to roll him backwards and get in. But, he said, when he cracked the door open, one of them pushed him over onto the floor and that's when he fired three shots.

“Can you describe how you felt at the moment you opened fire? What was going on in your mind at that point?” WFTV reporter Kathi Belich asked.

“Self preservation,” Wroblewski replied.
+1 At the moment you're under attack, your only thoughts seem to revolve around surviving and stopping the attack.

Quote:
“I don't relish or take any pleasure in killing people, that's for sure. I basically try to mind my own business, but it just doesn't seem to work very well sometimes,” Wroblewski said.
+100 Mr. Wroblewski did not go looking for trouble. He was in his own home, minding his own business. He answered his door prepared for possible trouble and defended himself when attacked.

I have zero sympathy for the perps here. The deceased thug will never commit another crime or terrorize some helpless person. Gonzalez, the 18 y/o is apparently still young enough to learn a life-changing lesson here. Here's to hoping he'll straighten up his life after his jail term.
Old July 5, 2010, 07:40 AM   #17
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
This truly is a case of a domestic terrorist...picking on a guy in a wheelchair. How low can one go?
Not terrorism. Wow.

Completely irrelevant question as it isn't a concern for bad guys. They have no fear of people harboring disdain for them and their target choices.

Selecting a target because of an obvious physical handicap, in this case being in a wheelchair, means that the intended victim is less likely to be able to mount a good defense and hence the robber is less likely to be harmed and less likely to fail. Robbing fully able-bodied people means there is a greater risk to the criminal than robbing those that are not, so this is a smart decision to make, generally speaking. Obviously, Kenny didn't have sufficient intel to know that Wroblewski was more capable of self defense than he appeared and it cost Kenny his life.

Quote:
On topic: This man must read these forums. He answered the door with his firearm.
People have been answering doors with firearms long before there were forums.

Quote:
He also positions his wheelchair so that the opening door would not wheel him backwards.
Yep, I have seen other wheelchair bound people do this.

Quote:
He must have trained to fire from laying on the ground, because he landed three shots from that position. This guy was trained.
He might have trained or might have had training, but the fact that he landed shots from the floor does not mean or indicate he did either. Proximity negates the need for skill. He was knocked over in the entry hall and Kenny was trying to come in through the entry hall and hence approaching or passing in very close proximity to Wroblewski.
Old July 6, 2010, 11:36 AM   #18
DanThaMan1776

This is why my grandmother carries a 357 in her purse at all times. Thugs don't have the respect for life or people to let an 84 year old woman go by without trouble.. they see her as an easy target. Good for the handicap man!
Old July 6, 2010, 11:56 AM   #19
booker_t

Bravo for defending his life and the sanctity of his household. And +1 for the accomplice being charged with murder, in addition to charges related to the attempted break-in/robbery.

A few questions I'd like to know the answers to:

1) Indeed the anchorwoman said both "revolver" and "shot gun" I wonder if it was a Judge or similar.

2) What did the Mr. W see when he shot? How did he physiologically respond to the attack?

a) were his eyes open or closed?
b) did he see the front sight? has he or was he ever trained to do so?
c) did he simply point and squeeze? what inputs drove his decision to stop at 3?
d) how was his vision?
e) how was his confidence/attitude/heart rate answering the door, anticipating a conflict? was it better or worse having the revolver?

3) Once police were called, what did he do with the gun? How did police handle the situation upon arrival?

4) Assuming the police took the gun (standard practice), how long will it be until it is returned? Does he have a backup?
Old July 6, 2010, 01:02 PM   #20
dabigguns357

When i lived in Huntington WV i ended up having to buying security camera's because our cars kept getting broken into.After installing the first 2,and some limited success i installed 2 more for the front porch.I hooked them up to every tv in the house so no matter which room i was in i would be able to see anyone on or around my front/back porch.I caught several gang fights,cars including mine getting broken into,and 8 teens vandalizing 20 cars/a pontoon boat/and 2 motorcycles.Each and every time i would give my tapes to the police and nothing was done,so i started sending them to the local tv station and after that everything on my street stopped.Out of all that happened to us or on my street,i don't remember seeing one person over 17.Infact the police had said some of the kids that were caught on my camera's were as young as 10 and 11.

I have moved and live in the country but i still keep my camera's up and rolling 24/7.The other day was laying on the couch and i heard the little next door neighbor kids hanging around our front porch,i flipped my tv over to aux and caught the little creatures trying to teach my 2 year old how to flip people the bird while using profanity(my camera's have audio as well).I promptly told them to leave and not comeback.

I use all my camera's and i tell every one i know to get them,just make sure they are night vision and have sound.
Old July 6, 2010, 01:28 PM   #21
kodiakbeer

Quote:
The second suspect, who fled after his partner was shot, was caught Tuesday after a tip led police to his whereabouts. Ruben Gonzalez, 18, will face felony murder charges, because his partner was killed during a crime he was a part of.

Hehe!
Old July 6, 2010, 01:53 PM   #22
Nnobby45

Quote:
I know this is kind of old, but I am surprised a guy who knew the victim decides to attack a guy in a wheelchair.
Why are you surprised? Criminals who rob people they know are as common as dirtbags. And victims they see as helpless, like the wheelchair bound, are not excluded in the least--but even MORE likely to be their victims. And because he did know one of the robbers, it's very possible he would not have survived to ID him.

I know two people in wheel chairs who have a holster arrangement attached to the chair for instant access. For quick access to a weapon, just about needs to be that way.

I still shake my head at the number of well meaning victims who will open their door to people, including casual acquaintances, who try talk the their way inside. A better idea would be to holler back that the Police are on the way and will give them all the assistance they need.

And some really good news. The state has felony murder statues which allows for the incarceration of the other dirt bag for about the rest of his life since the felony he participated in led to someone's death.
Old July 6, 2010, 03:20 PM   #23
Xfire68

We need the Castle Doctrine in IL! I know we have laws on the books that are close to the same thing but the prosecutors can still try anything they want whenever they want!
Old July 9, 2010, 05:55 PM   #24
Elvishead

Quote:
And I agree. 1 less punk that we've got to worry about.
2 less punk's. The other was charged with murder.
Old July 13, 2010, 11:16 AM   #25
usaign

The moral of the story...dont mess with an old man in a wheelchair.