The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 23, 2010, 03:52 PM   #1
Sphawley

Shotgun choke??

I'm new to shooting and am still learning so please excuse me if this is a dumb question;

What exactly does a choke or choke do for your shotgun??
Old June 23, 2010, 04:21 PM   #2
kozak6

A choke is a tapered constriction of the barrel at the muzzle.

They tighten the shot pattern, allowing for a longer effective range.
Old June 23, 2010, 04:23 PM   #3
BigJimP

It constricts the barrel - so as the shot goes down the barrel - it affects the size of the pattern at the kill range ....on birds, clay targets, etc...

A "Skeet" choke - gives a 30" effective pattern at about 20 - 25 yards..
An Improved Cyclinder choke - gives you a 30" pattern at about 25-30 yrds
A Modified choke - 30" pattern at about 30 - 35 yards
An Improved Modified - 30" at 35 - 40 yards
A Full choke - at 40 -50 yards...

with the idea that you need a fairly denses pattern ( a few hundred pellets of shot / inside the pattern at 30" ....to break a target, kill a bird, etc ......and then you mix in the size of shot 9's, 6's, 2's etc --- and the inertia and how far they'll carry and still kill or break a target ....

But you change "chokes" on a shotgun ....for the intended kill range...

Its not a dumb question....
Most shotguns have "screw in" changeable chokes since the late 1970's ....so one gun will do many things. Some tactical shotguns have no chokes -- or just a "cyclinder" becasue they're intended to shoot "defensive" ammo like slugs or OO buck ......

Shotguns made in the 50's and 60's were made with a fixed / not a changeable choke --- so they were fixed at "Full", or "Modified" or whatever you wanted to buy ....and if you wanted to hunt different game / you needed to change guns or change barrels - where today, one gun will do a lot of things.
Old June 23, 2010, 04:25 PM   #4
jmr40

It controls the size of the pattern of the shot as it leaves the end of the barrel. Most shotguns either have interchangeable choke tubes, or the last 2-3" of the barrel taper to a slightly smaller diameter.

A gun with no choke will allow the pellets to open up into the widest pattern. Makes it easier to hit objects at closer range, but at longer ranges the pellets could be spread so thin all of them could miss the target even with correct aim.

As the choke increases, the diameter at the end of the barrel gets smaller, holding the pellets into a smaller pattern. With a full choke, the pellets are grouped so tightly together hitting targets at close range becomes more difficult, but at they will spread out, making hits possible at longer ranges.

From most open to tightest the most common chokes are:

Cylinder
Improved cylinder
Modified
Full
Extra full (normally used only for turkey hunting)
Old June 23, 2010, 05:08 PM   #5
zippy13

Choke:
verb
What happens to you when you see today's prices for shotguns and ammo.

noun
Barrel constriction at the muzzle.
The technical explanations aside, think of it like a nozzle on a garden hose. One way and it sprays everything up close, the other way it sends out a concentrated stream.
Old June 23, 2010, 06:03 PM   #6
BigJimP

I knew there was a simple explanation ... well done buddy ....
Old June 23, 2010, 07:44 PM   #7
oneounceload

It was my understanding that the actual constriction is not at the muzzle, but a few inches from the end. Most chokes have the constriction back and then will have anywhere from 1-4 inches of "parallel" where the barrel diameter equals the choke to help stabilize the hull as it prepares to exit the muzzle.

OP -

Here's a chart that shows the various constrictions, measured in thousandths as well as some of the markings you might see on them:

http://www.hallowellco.com/choke_chart.htm

Some guns, especially high-end and older guns, tend to come with "fixed" chokes - that is, they do not have removable choke tubes, but the constriction is an integral part of the barrel. Unless you are trying to use one gun for everything, fixed chokes calibrated for specific uses are not a handicap and can make a big difference in how your barrels feel during your swing since they do not have those extra ounces right at the muzzle end that can alter swing dynamics and moments of inertia
Old June 23, 2010, 11:15 PM   #8
Sphawley

choke

So the choke is located at the tip of the barrel? or where?

How can you change them?
Old June 23, 2010, 11:34 PM   #9
zippy13

The choke is several inches long. The actual dimensions vary from brand to brand. At the muzzle there a section where the tube walls are parallel that's preceded by a ramped transitional section. Some chokes are integral with the barrel and other chokes are screwed into the end of the barrel. The screw-in can be flush or extend beyond the end of the barrel. Special wrenches are used to screw the choke tubes.

Image courtesy of howstuffworks.com
Old June 24, 2010, 12:14 AM   #10
Sphawley

Choke

Thanks zippy that really helps, pictures always make it easier lol
Old June 24, 2010, 06:38 AM   #11
oneounceload

Quote:
How can you change them?
If your gun has extended removable chokes, you simply unscrew them and change as needed. If they are flush-mounted removable chokes, you use a wrench as Zippy mentioned. If your gun has "fixed" chokes, you have several options - you can have a smith open them up a little by removing some of the metal in that area, or you can have someone thread them for removable chokes.

Example - I just bought a new SxS 20 gauge gun - this is for bird hunting. The chokes are fixed at IC in one barrel and M in the other - those have been the typical upland chokes in doubles for eons and can work well for quail to pheasant. ow, if I was ONLY hunting southern preserve quail over dogs, then I would have them opened up to Sk and IC since most shots for that are 20 yards or so. (Right now, I'm having a "blast" - pun intended - on the 5-stand and sporting courses with it)
Old June 24, 2010, 08:42 PM   #12
Sphawley

Thanks to your guys help I got two new screw in chokes for my winchester 1200, I'm definetly excited to go try them out!

Thanks again