The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 19, 2010, 07:12 AM   #26
g.willikers

Does anyone make a weight, that is a nice fit in the shotgun tube magazine, that wouldn't mess up the feeding?
Old June 19, 2010, 07:15 AM   #27
Glock_19

I've always thought the Universal Winchester 7.5 shot wasn't too bad and it comes in the 100 round value packs to boot.
Old June 19, 2010, 07:58 AM   #28
RDak

Zudd:

Here is a link to the compact shotguns you might be interested in for her.

The compact jr. comes in 20 gauge only I think.

Anyway, here you go:

http://www.remington.com/product-fam...-shotguns.aspx
Old June 19, 2010, 10:29 AM   #29
zippy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.willikers
Does anyone make a weight, that is a nice fit in the shotgun tube magazine, that wouldn't mess up the feeding?
Yep... Winchester/Western, Remington/Peters, Federal, Fiocchi...

Since the shooting sports typically require only one follow-up shot, much of the magazine tube is unoccupied. For a quick and easy weight: get a spent hull and fill it with shot to the desired weight, trim as required (for a partial load), crimp, seal the crimp with glue or tape, and insert it into the magazine tube. The rim should be forward, so the mag spring will keep it in place. To change the balance point, move the weight back using a spacer (an empty hull cut to the desired length). For more weight, get a 3-1/2" mag hull or add a weight. Two weights in the front of the mag tube won't change your pump's or auto-loader's operation. Once installed you notice smoother swings and reduced kick.
Old June 19, 2010, 11:41 AM   #30
g.willikers

Thanks Mr. Zippy,

Sounds like a winner and easy enough to do.
Old June 19, 2010, 11:52 AM   #31
CMichael

The problem with the smaller shells is that's harder to hit the target.

That's what got my wife frustrated,
Old June 19, 2010, 11:53 AM   #32
zippy13

g.whillikers,
Give some added weight a try and, please, share your experience with the forum. I'm sure there are some skeptics out there who don't realize how easy it is to change the performance of their stick guns.
Old June 19, 2010, 12:47 PM   #33
zippy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichael

That's what got my wife frustrated,
If you're dead-on, the target will break whether you're shooting a 12-ga or a .410-bore. It's what happens when you're off by just a little: The lighter the load, the less forgiving. In trap shooting, to make it more difficult, they move further back. In Skeet they use smaller bore guns.

Many folks make the mistake of giving a new shooter, especially a child or lady, a .410-bore to shoot. They reason that the very light recoil of the little gun will make for a more enjoyable experience. Usually what happens is they get frustrated because they miss so many targets.

Not only is the .410-bore the lightest target load, it's also the least efficient when developing it's shot string. And, .410s are notorious for having holes in their patterns. Many folks who are relatively competent shooting a 12-ga are humbled by the .410-bore. The .410 if for well seasoned shooters, not newbies.

In contrast to the .410's long and thin shell and subsequent poor pattern development, the next step up is entirely different. The easily overlooked 28-ga has much better since it's shot charge much squarer (ht = wd) in the hull. The squarer load, the better the pattern.

For the new shooter a 12 ga O/U with 28-ga tubes is ideal. It's heavy enough for a very smooth swing, the recoil is minimal and they break targets that a .410 would just dust.
Old June 19, 2010, 01:45 PM   #34
oneounceload

Quote:

That's what got my wife frustrated
Not necessarily true. It takes three pellets to break a clay target, 5 if a rabbit. 7/8 from a 12 or 20 will be the same. The main issue is the density of the pattern. Shooting a 12, 20, and 28 with their respective "natural loads" - 1-1/8, 7/8, 3/4......and choked the same will pattern the same - however the density of the patterns will be a tad different - hence Zippy's comment about being on the bird, the target will break. Shooting smaller gauges at longer ranges typically involves choking one constriction tighter than you would use with a 12.

Example - if you are shooting an IC in a 12 at a 30 yard crosser, a LM in 20 or a M in 28 would give the same density in a smaller pattern - as said - if you center the pattern on the bird, it isn't going to matter.........
Old June 19, 2010, 04:21 PM   #35
g.willikers

Roger that, zippy.

After experiencing the difference in my neighbors gun, I added some weight to a 12 gauge, Remington 1100 with a synthetic stock.
The lighter weight of the mostly empty stock, made the gun kind of nose heavy, anyway.
At first I added enough lead strips, just in front of the recoil pad, to balance the gun about the same as one with a wooden stock.
Not much, maybe a few ounces, but even that little bit, in addition to improving the balance, did have some effect on recoil.
Well, if a little bit works, why not a whole lot more.
Ok, so then I just about filled the stock with another pound and a quarter of lead.
Boy, what a difference in recoil, even with regular target and game loads.
Very nice.
And the balance isn't too bad, really, with its 28" long barrel, especially when the mag is full.
But I'm definitely going to make up some lead filled rounds, as you suggested and play with it some more.
Messing around with guns is fun.
Old June 19, 2010, 09:58 PM   #36
Rampant_Colt

Remington 11-87

http://www.remington.com/products/fi...synthetic.aspx

Quote:
Young shooters are more likely to become stewards of the shooting sports if they start with a gun that fits properly. Exactly why we crafted our standard, premium-grade stocks with a shorter length of pull, then fit them to some of our finest firearms. All compact firearms are equipped with our Adjustable Length of Pull System so that fit can be customized to youngsters as they grow, and adults requiring a shorter length of pull can tailor the compact firearms to their specific needs.
The gas-operated action of the 20-gauge Model 11-87™ Sportsman® Compact makes it the ultimate light-recoiling compact shotgun.
  • Ergonomically designed for superior handling
  • Constructed with solid steel receivers for strength and durability
  • Features smooth-operating actions that reduce wear and provide quick follow-up shots
  • Bead sights
The adjustable LOP stock is a nice feature, but real wood would likely add weight to help absorb recoil
Old June 20, 2010, 08:05 AM   #37
g.willikers

As an added note, if anyone has an older Remington, the recoil pad that came with it might be just rubber over a hard piece of plastic.
The pad shown in the above link is a really good one and comes on all late model guns.
Replacing the old one with this one is not expensive, something like $30.
Your shoulder will thank you.
It might be actually made by Limbsaver, one of the best.
Old June 20, 2010, 09:41 AM   #38
zippy13

Is this the pad you're thinking about?

http://www.remington.com/product-fam...ecoil-pad.aspx
Old June 21, 2010, 11:28 AM   #39
g.willikers

Yes, that's the one.
A great improvement over the previous one.
Old June 21, 2010, 12:28 PM   #40
JNewell

That is a LimbSaver pad (they make them for Remington), and it is an excellent retrofit. They're available for both synthetic and wood stocks.
Old June 21, 2010, 01:01 PM   #41
oneounceload

For adding weight up front that stays in one place, I like the following:

http://www.jimsearneye.com/barrelweight.html

Old June 23, 2010, 02:00 PM   #42
deepvalley

Location: I live in a small community where God and family come first followed quickly by farming and hunting. It is located in the heart of the western NC Blue Ridge Mountains. May God bless Barnardsville, NC.
low recoil

As was said before using low recoil shells is a very good idea for your lady friend but if you are seriously considering outfitting a gun for her then the weights should be equalized, front to rear, as best as you can, but remember that will make the gun feel much much heavier overall. Trying to help her with the recoil may make her avoid shooting due to the "heavy" gun! Proper training and a good shooting stance are a better option, you may also get her to shoot stationary objects at home to boost her confidence level before putting her out on the line in front of her friends. It worked with my ex-wife so it may help you.

Last edited by deepvalley; June 23, 2010 at 02:10 PM.
Old June 23, 2010, 05:47 PM   #43
Zudd

Well, went out and got a couple of boxes of the winchester AA light recoil and we went out to the range. She ended up shooting more of it than I did, so the low recoil rounds are a hit, definitely. I think I might have to get her a gun of her own, so I can shoot too. Had to with the glock...so I suppose....
Old June 23, 2010, 05:49 PM   #44
zippy13

Quote:
Trying to help her with the recoil may make her avoid shooting due to the "heavy" gun!
You're right on with that one, deepvalley!
I frequently recommend adding some mass to a light gun to tame some of the recoil and smooth out the swing; but, I got a reality check the other day…
For years, I've been e-corresponding with a gal I met in kindergarten back in the 1950's. She's on the short side but otherwise fit with the usual aches and pains typical to those of us over 60.
Last year her husband got her an entry level pump shotgun, a 20-ga youth model with synthetic stock. I was concerned that the gun would be so light that the recoil would be a bother. In her last e-mail, she commented that she was going to take a handgun training class along with the daughter-in-law. To my surprise, she said she wasn't interested in the shotgun anymore because it was just too heavy. What's lighter than a 20-ga youth model with plastic stock and forend?
Old June 23, 2010, 07:51 PM   #45
oneounceload

Quote:
To my surprise, she said she wasn't interested in the shotgun anymore because it was just too heavy. What's lighter than a 20-ga youth model with plastic stock and forend?
Now Zippy - you also know that a pump balances like a pig on a shovel - if she was shooting a gun that balances perfectly in the hands, she could handle guns from 6 to 9 pounds equally...........

I know the HD crowd is all gaga over pumps, and especially those with mag extensions and doo-dads making them even MORE muzzle heavy than they already are, but target shooters know that balance can make a gun move like a wand..............I bet if your P-gun fit her, she would be amazed how such a heavy gun could move like that...............
Old June 23, 2010, 08:03 PM   #46
zippy13

1-oz
Yep, I know a few diminutive ladies with tubed O/Us who'll smoke targets all day long. Unfortunately, my classmate is in Texas and I'm in SoCal, so I can't intervene.
Old June 24, 2010, 06:46 AM   #47
oneounceload

Sounds like a road-trip is in order!.Besides Texas has some nice venues from the ones I have seen............
Old July 2, 2010, 04:10 PM   #48
Doc TH

If you are considering getting her a gun of her own, take the recommendations of some posters above and look for a used Remington 1100. The gas operated system is an excellent recoil tamer, and the craftsmanship on the 1100 is first-rate. In its heyday it was the top choice of dedicated trap and skeet shooters.
Old July 5, 2010, 05:01 PM   #49
Delaware_Dan

Pachmayr makes excellent recoil pads, I highly recommend them. If they make the length of pull too long, consider a youth stock.

-Dan