The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 17, 2009, 08:52 PM   #1
FISHNFRANK

opinion on Lee Hand Press

Folks

I am considering doing some reloading for .357, 10mm, .44mag - not high volume (I'm mainly a shotgunner/hunter and shoot handguns maybe once a month) and I don't have a lot of space since I have so many other things going on in that garage. One of the issues I have is that I really don't have a great place to mount a bench press. One thing I like about my shotgun loaders is that they are desktop and can be put away.

What are your opinions of the Lee Hand Press?

Frank
Old August 17, 2009, 08:59 PM   #2
darkgael

Lee

Very convenient little press. I have had at least one since I started loading my own, lo, these many years ago. Before I had any progressives I had a lee hand press. I'd go to the beach on a Sunday with my gal and sit with a couple of hundred .45 ACP cases. Between swims, I'd size, decap, and bell the cases. Try doing that at the beach with your Rockchucker or Dillon.
You can keep everything that you need for a caliber or two in a small toolbox.
Nice.
Pete
Old August 17, 2009, 09:46 PM   #3
Hook686

I use a Lee Hand Press for .357 magnum and .44 magnum. I have the Lee Carbide Speed Dies, which I think Carbide Dies essential for the Hand Press. I have an old Lyman Tong Tool I use to seat primers, and a Lee Perfect Powder Measure to drop the charge.

I find this a nice leasurely way to crank out 50, or so rounds an hour. A nice compact, portable setup.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old August 18, 2009, 01:47 AM   #4
vanilla_gorilla

Not that I have much time for reloading right now, but when I do get a chance, I use my hand press for brass prep, and my Lee bench press for seating bullets. It's great for the task. My wife watches TV while I'm sitting by her doing brass prep, and she's happy that we're in the same room together and I'm not sequestered off in the reloading room.
Old August 18, 2009, 02:00 AM   #5
HiBC

I haven't used mine for complete reloading,I have a couple of presses mounted to the bench.
When I do load development for rifles,I take primed brass to the range,scales,triclkler,etc,and seat bullets with the Lee Press.It works good.

A buddy of mine mounts all his presses to small.maybe 10" by 6" plates.They have a couple holes to match holes in his bench.He uses 1/2in bolts and wing nuts to hold down the press(shotgun,dillon progressive,etc).
Old August 18, 2009, 07:09 AM   #6
CajunBass

You mean one like this? It does a fine job with 9mm so I don't see any reason it won't with 38/357. As a matter of fact I plan to pick up the stuff I need to start doing 38/357 myself.

John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old August 18, 2009, 07:34 AM   #7
sheepman

The past 6 winters we have been going south in an RV and the hand press was the only way to take reloading equipment in the limited space of the RV. The hand press works great, not as handy as a bench press but will load any thing including rifle shells (no 50 cal browning though) I have loaded 4 or 5 thousand rounds on mine. The hand press is also handy to take to the range when working up new loads. Good luck : Bill
Old August 18, 2009, 09:58 PM   #8
FISHNFRANK

thanks

I think this might be a start.

Frank
Old August 18, 2009, 10:00 PM   #9
flyboy14

I would love to get mine back. My neighbor shoots benchrest competition, had trouble getting his new gun to group. I loaned him mine, thinking he could load a bunch, seat em long, and play with seating depth. That was 3 months ago. Haven't seen it since. Handy little buggers. Might have to go buy another. flyboy
Old August 18, 2009, 10:46 PM   #10
fast-eddie

Or

Or you can make your neighbor buy one and get yours back.
Old August 18, 2009, 11:14 PM   #11
44 AMP
Staff

moving to the reloading forum
Old August 19, 2009, 03:43 AM   #12
fast-eddie

Hand press

I have a 300 savage and a 357 sig. Will the hand press be able to reload these cartridges?
Old August 19, 2009, 04:50 AM   #13
Bud Helms

Yes.
Old August 19, 2009, 09:06 PM   #14
wncchester

I have one, like it, rarely use it because I also have four bench presses. The handpress is mostly used to change bullet seating on pre-loaded test ammo at the range.

My strong suggestion to you is to get a little Lee "Reloader" bench press, bolt it to a 10" piece of 2x4 and "C" clamp that to your work bench. It's suprizingly sturdy and will be MUCH easier to load on and can be set up and taken down in seconds.

You will need a Lee hand priming tool for either of those presses, they don't have a provision for capping on them.
Old August 19, 2009, 09:28 PM   #15
studman5578

I recently looked like an idiot in front of a guy who works a cableas because he was convinced that those things u speak of don't exist, but if you go to page 84 (and unfortunately I didn't have this book with me at the time) of lee's 2nd edition of reloading, the autoprime 2 is pictured on a challenger press. judging by the way it looks to operate, it should work on the hand press. i just bought a hand press so I can load while i'm away from home (I am for most of the year) and am looking for something that can do that.
Rev 5:13 "To him who sits on the throne and the Lamb be praise honor and glory and power, for ever and ever"
Old August 19, 2009, 09:41 PM   #16
BigJakeJ1s

I started out with a Lee hand press. Mine was not well built, with the ram visibly, grossly misaligned to the die hole. There is also a lot of spring to the lightweight aluminum frame.

Later on I purchased a Huntington Compac hand press, and it is much better. It uses twin, opposing handles with a "W" linkage. The "ram" rides up and down on two parallel guide rods, and is very well aligned to the die hole. The steel guide rods and thicker-sectioned aluminum parts are much stiffer; there is virtually no spring to it. It comes with a template for a base that can be used to mount it to a bench. I just cut a 4" circle of hardwood and bolted it to that. It is still very portable, but will stand up on its own if you need both hands for something else for a minute. Handling brass and bullets in between the guide rod takes some getting used to, but is plenty easy once you get used to it. It has a built in priming punch, which the LHP lacks. But the LHP has a hollow ram which makes it excellent for decapping fired brass (that's all I used the LHP for after I got the Compac.)

The Compac is more expensive than the LHP, but is well worth it if you need or want a first rate hand press. I have since gotten a Forster Co-Ax bench mounted press, so I seldom use either hand press anymore.

You mentioned that your shotgun presses are desktop affairs that can be put away when not being used. You can also mount a metallic reloading press to a heavy board, and clamp that to your bench when you need it, then put it away when finished. If you can swing it, a good, bench-mounted press will always be easier to use than a hand press.

Andy
Old August 21, 2009, 11:35 AM   #17
dwhite

Lee Hand Press

Get one. You'll love it. I do 38/357 and 40 S&W on mine. I'm not a high volume shooter so it fills my needs. I can do 50 rounds per hour on it with ease. Probably 60 if I really push myself.

I've loaded thousands of rounds on mine with no issues. I got mine because I'm in a small house and don't have anywhere to bolt a press. This tool has easily exceeded my expectations.

All the Best,
D. White
Old August 21, 2009, 07:05 PM   #18
kron

Given any thought to the Lee Loader series of loading tools? They work great if you aren't in a hurry. I use them for rifle loads all the time. Not sure if I'd want to for pistol loads if you plan to load more than 50 rounds per session, but for $15 per caliber or so, they work great.

Just need that and a hammer, and you're good to go.

Regards
Kron
Old August 21, 2009, 10:07 PM   #19
wncchester

"the autoprime 2 is pictured on a challenger press. judging by the way it looks to operate, it should work on the hand press. "

Yeah, it's physically possible. But, it would be a real chore to do in real life.

My two Reloader presses are dedicated to depriming on one and repriming with an AutoPrice 2 on the other. THAT works fine!

I don't think "spring" in either the Lee hand press or Reloader is as great as some seem to think. FL sizing 30-06 in my Rock Chucker II springs the head 2-4 thou, depending on brass brand; that's not much but it's NOT rigid. But, I get NO spring doing the same thing on either of the little Lee Reloaders! Can't figger out how to measure press spring with the hand press but it shouldn't be any worse than the Reloaders, right?
Old August 21, 2009, 10:15 PM   #20
lee n. field

Quote:
What are your opinions of the Lee Hand Press?
Sucky ergonomics. More useful than I thought it would be. For the price you can't beat it.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "