The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 11, 2008, 06:34 PM   #1
The_Vigilante

Need a reloading bench?

I have been using a reloading bench that I purchased from Harbor Freight at a very cheap price and then modified it somewhat to fit my situation. However, it isn't very sturdy-wobbles when you shake it. I have purchased a used Lee Loadmaster which will be here in a week. One of the requirements was that the work bench be steady and solid-that disqualified my bench right away. So I went to Home Deport just to look around and what to my surprise found the Workbench by Keystone for $79.95. It requires no tools for assembly. It is 5' long, 2' wide, and 36" high-all wood. It is a little narrower than I liked but figured I could bolt a wider top to the top of it. Here is the link to the bench if any of you are interested: http://www.ufpi.com/product/keystonebench/about.htm.
Old December 11, 2008, 07:47 PM   #2
wpcexpert

How much room do you have to install one?

I know you didn't ask, but my opinion...you could spend less and build your own. The only tools needed will be a skill saw and a drill. Get some 2.5in drywall screws to put it together.

But as far as the bench in question, it looks good and sturdy. If you have the wall to do it, I screwed the backside of mine to the wall. Just for added security. But it looks like a good sturdy bench. When I built mine, I didn't measure out how the bolts would be going thru the table. I had to make a few mods to secure it right for those larger rifle FL resizes.

But you could build a better, bigger one for less.
When once a republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.
- Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by wpcexpert; December 11, 2008 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Reread the post, answered what kind of press.
Old December 11, 2008, 07:56 PM   #3
The_Vigilante

Need a reloading bench?

wpcexpert,

Thanks for your comments. Yes, I could have built a larger bench cheaper but I am not very handy at carpentry and most of the time what I build looks like a piece of cr*p after I have finished. Home Depot had a display model and it was sturdy and solid. Your suggestion to secure it to the wall is a good one and I will end up doing that.
Old December 11, 2008, 09:07 PM   #4
wpcexpert

Then that sounds like the best plan. Don't worry, I'm not a master carpenter either. My benches look like hell, but they fill my needs. But I'm finding that I'm always running out of room.

The thing I need to look at now is storage space. I've got all this stuff piled up on my bench, and limited room for the compenents. One idea that I've seen and am going to do is build a sort of shelf at eye level for my 5-0-5 scale. I think that would be an addition.

Always looking for new ideas in the reloading room. I'm going to post a pic of it in the thread that displays reloading areas and look for suggestions. Some of those guys have got some nice set-ups.
When once a republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.
- Thomas Jefferson
Old December 11, 2008, 09:32 PM   #5
The_Vigilante

Need a reloading bench?

wpcexpert,

I am lucky-I have one of the spare bedrooms for my reloading room. Your idea of building a shelf at eye level is an excellent one and will make it a point to include that once I get the new bench set up. My 5-0-5 scale is also currently sitting on top of my bench along with my bullets which are stored in Dillon bins. Doesn't leave much room on the bench, I'll guarantee you. I currently have a Lee Classic Single Stage and Lee Classic Turret Press mounted to my little bench which makes it even more crowded. The new 5' bench will give me a lot more room and actually the new 2' wide bench is wider than what I got right now-22" wide. I am envisioning at least 3-4 shelves above the bench to store my bullets, scale, etc. Once I get it done will add photos to this thread.
Old December 11, 2008, 09:46 PM   #6
wpcexpert

I was lucky too. When I bought this house, the feller before me had a room, outside 24x16, that he played his drums in. It has a window unit a/c for the summer. Its all particle plywood, but completely laquered. So that's my room. I started out with a bench I brought from SC which was just my archery bench, then added another for reloading. The new bench housed my RCBS Rockchucker and powder drop and other stuff. Then I got a hair and got an LNL. Now both benches are covered in reloading components. It looks like a hunting/shooting/reloading bomb blew up in there.

Hunting season is always the worst with organization. I get to hunting, then looking for one item, then...well you know. I need more organizational items. I'll post the pics when I get the chance.
- Thomas Jefferson
Old December 11, 2008, 10:54 PM   #7
HOGGHEAD

Bench

If you had to pay a person $25 an hour cash to do your carpentry work he could build a bench like mine in about 3 hours. 4 hours tops. An additional $75 worth of lumber and you would have a top quality reloading bench that would last a life time. So foir $175 or less you can be set. Or just have a friend come over and help you.

I have had several reloading benchs over the last 35 years. And here is what I came up with. Also be sure your table top is A-faced 3/4 inch plywood. Do not skimp here. Tom.

Old December 12, 2008, 10:31 AM   #8
wncchester

"The thing I need to look at now is storage space. I've got all this stuff piled up on my bench, and limited room for the compenents."

Haunt goodwill type stores, or salvage office supply outlets, until you find some steel office supply cabinets for cheap.
Old December 12, 2008, 11:31 AM   #9
abber

I just have Gorilla racks set up in work bench configuration. The tops were custom made 3/4 particle board with Formica applied, because the stock shelves were too flimsy for the tops. This works great for loading, and as an everyday workbench, and gun cleaning station. I think I paid 60 bucks for it, and the tops were free (my sister worked in a cabinet shop a few years back). I've definitely made up for the savings by spending all of it on loading goodies, though.....
Old December 12, 2008, 04:20 PM   #10
aerod1

HOGGHEAD,

In the bottom picture on the right side, I see a press that looks familiar. Is that a Ponsness Warren Duo- Matic 375? If so, how do you like it? I am now the proud owner of a PW 375 and will start getting into shotshell reloading after hunting season is over. I know NOTHING about shotshell reloading. The press was given to me a few months back.
What are your likes and dislikes about this press? Any tips?
Thanks.
U.S. Navy Veteran (USS Midway V-1 Division)
Old December 12, 2008, 04:22 PM   #11
aerod1

Ditto.
U.S. Navy Veteran (USS Midway V-1 Division)

Last edited by aerod1; December 12, 2008 at 06:58 PM.
Old December 12, 2008, 05:50 PM   #12
HOGGHEAD

PW 375

Yes that is a PW 375. The press is probably 30 years old. No doubt the best presses out there. There is no telling how many shells this press has reloaded. Well over 100,000. And ready to go for another 100,000. Never had the first problem with this press. We have an PW 800 now. My 375 now collects dust. It could use a good home. But it has definitely paid for itself. Tom.
Old December 12, 2008, 08:22 PM   #13
Marvelicious

I'm working on building a bench right now. Right now I'm being slowed down by finish work. I hate brushing finishes, so I have an hvlp paint gun on order...

Anyway, my 2 cents is something I learned from woodworkers building their work benches: use a solid core door for the bench top. I got mine at a builders surplus place for $35, try that, or Craigslist materials section, don't spend the cash on a new one... Heavy, solid and this one was in perfect shape with a hemlock veneer, which is what forced me to make the rest of it match and look nice. So I'm putting several coats of heavy poly on it, hence the spray gun. I do enough woodworking to justify it. When I finish I'll post pictures in the bench thread.
Old December 12, 2008, 10:25 PM   #14
The_Vigilante

Need a reloading bench

After 5 minutes to get my new bench assembled here are some photos. Not a professional job like some of you guys have but it makes me happy and gets the job done-at least at this point in time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PC110001.JPG (123.5 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg PC110002.JPG (140.9 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg PC110003.JPG (132.5 KB, 76 views)

Last edited by The_Vigilante; December 12, 2008 at 10:26 PM. Reason: add comments
Old December 13, 2008, 12:22 AM   #15
HoraceHogsnort

"Then that sounds like the best plan. Don't worry, I'm not a master carpenter either. My benches look like hell, but they fill my needs. But I'm finding that I'm always running out of room."

Ain't that the doggone truth!!
Old December 13, 2008, 04:02 PM   #16
Marvelicious

I can't fault it for simplicity. I'm gonna have a lot more than 5 minutes and a lot more than $80 into mine.

The wife picked the paint in that room, huh?
Old December 13, 2008, 04:37 PM   #17
powerboatr

i fashioned one from a metal stand for my tablesaw, in our garage
I had to replace my over 15 year old skill saw bench top saw, and it came the new one came with a sturdy metal frame to hold it.
Since i use a self built multi purpose rolling table for my saw and stuff. I decided to make one from the metal table
i spand it with a double stack of three sets of2x4's,then toppe dit with 2x4's cut to lenght, then covered it in a non static rubber type material to prevent static charge build up.
my lovely wife stained the wood a dark color and sealed it. i also put a shelf on the bottom to hold my ammo boxes, one for primers and one for powder
then i took over part of the shelf ( top three shelves) to hold my range bag, cleaning box and .22 tackle box
and the built up ammo and cleaning media and separator

since my wife is a bit on the clean side, everything has a place and gets cleaned even after i clean up the messsssss
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 060.jpg (82.8 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 061.jpg (84.3 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 062.jpg (81.6 KB, 61 views)

using a dillon square deal reloader
Old December 13, 2008, 04:41 PM   #18
The_Vigilante

Need a reloading bench?

Marvelicious,

No, I chose the paint-copper! Don't you like it?
Old December 13, 2008, 05:10 PM   #19
Marvelicious

I imagine the pictures lightened it up a bit, because it looks more like pink than copper on my monitor. Just having a little fun at your expense... no harm intended. I tend to be a bit of a smart-ass.
Old December 13, 2008, 07:05 PM   #20
woodysan

I like it!!!!

Vigilante that is a super set up,haven't decided which press to buy yet-but I think i've found out how to!! Thanks, Woody

Tags
no tools required!