The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 3, 2008, 03:13 PM   #1
kirpi97

Any proven cleaning methods to rescue me???

I rescued this badly abused EFI .50 cal Kentucky long rifle. It wasn't much to look at. But with a little bit of work, the outside is looking fine. However, the barrel was caked full of powder residue. After hours and copious amounts of cleaner, I chiseled my way through the build up only to find a worse enemy--rust.

I have dumped every chemical known to man, but the rust seems to be winning. Has any one used or nows of a substance that is safe for the barrel, but that can help to clean it out. I will have to live with it in the future, but I would like to get to point where I can treat the barrel.

It is not so bad that you can't shoot the rifle. It is a hoot to shoot. But clean up is an experience and a chore. So I am open to any suggestion besides tossing it. I feel there is something out there that I have tried.
Old December 3, 2008, 07:22 PM   #2
fastforty

Since 20 people have read & not responded I'll give me 2 cents.

Plan a) Boil the heck out of it to get the offending chemistry out of the rust/pits. Then use a good lead solvent to break the pores open & boil the rest of the crud out of the pitting. Repeat every time you shoot it.

Plan b) replace the barrel
Old December 3, 2008, 07:25 PM   #3
Hawg

Plug the nipple or flash hole if it's a flinter and fill the barrel with Kroil and let it soak overnight. Then use a bronze brush on it. If that doesn't work Naval Jelly will but it's harder to work with and will remove bluing.
Old December 3, 2008, 10:06 PM   #4
51colt

Diesel fuel it melts rust just let it soak.
Old December 3, 2008, 10:12 PM   #5
Hawg

Quote:
Diesel fuel it melts rust just let it soak.
Kerosene is better but it'll take awhile. Naval Jelly is the fastest way but the Kroil and brushing is safer on the bluing.
Old December 4, 2008, 01:14 AM   #6
kirpi97

Kerosene and diesel I am familiar with, but Kroil? I am not aware of it. So I have to plead ignorance, where is it purchased? A hardware store or gun shop?

I am grateful for the ideas. I hadn't left the kerosene in over night. It hadn't occurred to me. I guess I was afraid to. And this kroil stuff may even work better.

I was staying away from using the jelly because of collateral damage. So your suggestions are gratefully received.

I do so thank the experts that have weighed in. You have given me hope.
Old December 4, 2008, 01:32 AM   #7
Powderman

You can read about Kroil--and some other really good lubricants, especially a good rust remover, at:

www.kanolaboratories.com

For my gun oil, I blend 3/4 Microil with 1/4 Kroil. Works great!
Old December 4, 2008, 02:27 AM   #8
kirpi97

Thanks. I put in an order tonight.