The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 25, 2013, 08:50 AM   #26
Clark

Quote:
JohnKSa

Unless the action starts to yield.
The 6mmBR case head is much stronger than the OP 308 case.
The 308 primer pocket will become loose somewhere between 72kpsi and 78 kpsi [unless it is Lapua Palma small primer pocket brass]

The 6mmBR brass will not give up the primer pocket before the thickest small rifle magnum primer [CCI450] will pierce. That happens somewhere between 80 kpsi and 90k psi.

I have reached that with the 1917 Sav99

That threshold of primer piercing is dependent on the firing pin to firing pin hole fit. GreTan offers a service of bushing the firing pin hole to get that threshold higher.

But I would bet money no one has sent GreTan and old Sav99 bolt to bush
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old March 25, 2013, 09:23 PM   #27
603Country

Clark, you gonna blow yourself clean up...80,000 psi? Geez...
Old March 25, 2013, 11:07 PM   #28
JohnKSa
Staff

Right, I understand. I was responding to your comment that because the modulus of elasticity was the same, all the various 99 action vintages regardless of alloy, heat treat or yield strength would stretch the brass the same.

Your statement is true right up until the load exceeds the yield strength of action. Then there will be a considerable difference in how much the brass is stretched compared to other 99 actions with higher yield strengths.
Old March 26, 2013, 12:26 AM   #29
Clark

The problem with Sav99s, 303 Enfields, and thin walled 357 magnums is that the brass has a lot less elastic deformation range than the steel.... and we get stretched brass.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old March 26, 2013, 05:47 PM   #30
jackpine

for a hunting gun 300 savage will do all that needs doing and do it well. Ken Waters loves the 300 savage and states that it's the perfect deer rifle cartridge. Leave it be and spend the cash on ammo or reloading supplies
Old March 26, 2013, 09:07 PM   #31
TomL

.300 Savage re-chamber

Hello all, I found a M99, second year production that was re chambered to 308, As mentioned in previous posts..trouble..the seller stated up front it will not feed correctly so it is a single shot for all intents and purposes. TomL
Old March 29, 2013, 07:25 PM   #32
Gunplummer

Odd that Ken Waters name pops up with '99 talk. I made a spare barrel for my take-down in 7-30 Waters and I would have been better off with a 30-30 barrel. What an unimpressive round. No wonder it died out so quickly.