The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 27, 2010, 04:06 PM   #1
darkgael

A pleasant surprise in the PA hills

I divide my time - retired dude that I am - between an apartment in Brooklyn, NY and a home in the "Endless Mountains" of Pennsylvania.
Just recently I've begun Trapshooting, as I have posted. All of my shooting in that venue has been in NY on Staten Island.
I have, however, had a membership at The North Mountain Sportsman's Association in Muncy Valley, PA. It is a membership that I have never used.
Well.....just yesterday I decided the take a ride up and take a look around (finally) - they have a trap facility as well as skeet and sporting clays.
I was not prepared for what I found.
Drove up. Parked. Got out. Saw one trap house. Saw the skeet houses. Saw what I took for SC stands. Nice but no one was shooting (Turns out that Trap is on Wednesday nights).
Then I heard a shotgun fire from the other side of a very nice clubhouse.
I walk around and....... a complete, new, well maintained Bunker trap facility. As it turns out, the facility is part of the NSSF's Olympic training program and is used to train up and coming young shooters in the International venue. All the bells and whistles.
It was an impressive operation, not what I had expected to find on a hilltop in Sullivan County.
The club membership gets to use it as part of different programs that they run.
Those clay birds do come out at quite a clip. The shooters weren't missing many.
Pete
Old June 27, 2010, 07:00 PM   #2
oneounceload

Alright Pete - as a former Brooklynite myself, get yourself out of there and to your spot in PA........shooting bunker successfully requires a LOT of practice and the commute will kill you!......We have the only one in the SE US here in Gainesville. Haven't wandered up there yet, as I am mainly a sporting clays guy.........but talking to a gun writer friend who does shoot this game, I may get tempted.......................sounds like a great place to be living!
Old June 28, 2010, 10:19 PM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

American trap is where you cuss when you miss one.

Bunker is where you smile when you hit one.

Enjoy!!

I like to shoot a little bunker at PGC. A couple of times the Naval Academy team has been there when I do. They shoot a little better than I, but still I've not seen any one run 25.

I use 20 and 30 POC and 7.5s in a 7/8 oz load. Best results for you may vary.

HTH....