The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 16, 2016, 06:17 PM   #1
Bravo1

Universal Decapping Die needed?

Hi All.

Been looking at reloading for several years and read as much as I could on it before I started.

I'll be reloading 9mm and 45ACP and may venture onto .223 down the road.

I recently purchased a Lee Loadmaster Progressive Press and had some questions on the die placements.

Right now I'm removing the spent primers before I tumble using the Harvey Depriming hand tool. Reason is to get the primer pocket cleaned when tumbling because of my OCD.

Could I move the Sizing die to station 2, and remove the decapping pin since the shell is already deprimed? I've read that this helps center the primer when seating.

Would that mean I could also leave station 1 empty or should I put the Universal Decapping die in there?

Station 3 is Powder Through and Expanding, 4 is Bullet Seat and 5 is Factory Crimp.

Any suggestions is appreciated.
Old May 16, 2016, 06:58 PM   #2
Ronic

I have found it's not needed. It just causes issues when it doesn't line up with the primer hole. I have a tool head that just has the universal in it and just change shell plates with the priming system removed under it. When loading I have station 1 empty and just like you with the rest.
Old May 16, 2016, 07:54 PM   #3
condor bravo

I'm not familiar with the Lee Loadmaster Progressive but can you seat a primer at station 2 on the press or is that not what you are saying? Perhaps you can otherwise you wouldn't be making the point. But per the above post would doing that fill a better need? Probably best to just keep the sizing die at station 1, with or without a spent primer. I'm probably missing the boat here, I guess you are still seating primers at station 1 but then want to resize at station 2. So on second thought why not do so. I've placed the sizing die at station 2 on a Dillon on more than one occasion but for different reasons. Should have left this thread alone I guess but it sounded interesting. But does anyone know about a good universal decapping die?

Last edited by condor bravo; May 16, 2016 at 08:03 PM.
Old May 16, 2016, 08:36 PM   #4
Ronic

Condor, the loadmaster is a tinkers dream. It has a few issues with the design that if you de-prime and size in station 1 then then there is nothing you can really use in station 2 because of the priming is done on the upstroke. there's also nothing that reliably holds the brass in the correct location to center the primer. Thus causing flipped and sideways primers in the case.
If you use a vibratory cleaner you can put a universal in station 1, sizer with pin removed in 2, charge and flair in 3, seat in 4, and factory crimp in 5. But I like to use SS pins so the primer pockets are clean and also the inside of the case is clean and shinny making it easier to see the powder charge when visually checking.
Old May 16, 2016, 08:58 PM   #5
condor bravo

Thanks, explanation appreciated. So I guess you are saying that priming is or can be done at station 2 but on the upstroke or is that done on the upstroke at station 1? Probably still not getting the big picture.

Last edited by condor bravo; May 16, 2016 at 09:07 PM.
Old May 17, 2016, 07:36 AM   #6
Doyle

One more option for you since you like to deprime before tumbling. Get yourself a lee hand press and use a universal decapper in it. You can sit in front of the TV and deprime brass all night long in your easy chair.

Last edited by Doyle; May 17, 2016 at 09:15 AM.
Old May 17, 2016, 08:06 AM   #7
Unclenick
Staff

Point of caution

I prime rifle cases while watching TV in the lounge chair, but I wouldn't deprime my cases there. Primer residue dust is the greatest source of lead contamination in the reloading process because the lead styphnate sensitizer residue contains lead in a readily digestible form. It's much more toxic than lead metal. You don't want small kids, especially, transferring that dust to their mouths either directly or indirectly by getting it on their hands from stroking a pet or touching clothing that has picked the dust up from the furniture. And that dust does spread around when depriming. It's best to keep it confined to a loading area that kids can't access without supervision and subsequent hand washing.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old May 17, 2016, 10:55 AM   #8
Bravo1

Thanks everyone for the advice!

Good stuff and definitely good to get different perspectives on things.

I usually deprime in the garage so that the contaminants are away from family areas and just clean up afterwards.
Old May 17, 2016, 07:21 PM   #9
maggys drawers

I bought a cheap Lee C press and universal decapping die, and decap everyting on the C press. Doing this keeps the carbon/primer crud out of my regular press.

I don't know if my regular press works any better, but it sure is cleaner since doing this.