The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 8, 2015, 08:36 PM   #26
skizzums

I rarely hear Lyman lube being talked about on here, but I am telling you it works better than any other spray on type. paste and wax are probably superior, but I like the convenience of aerosol, and I have zero stuck cases from forming, resizing even large cartridges like 54r. it really great stuff and goes a long way.
http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/c...-case-lube.php
Old April 8, 2015, 10:31 PM   #27
WVMountaineer

"Mountaineer. I'm not tumbling. Vibrating with media. But I'm using the Lee primer tool on them. This will be the second loading of this's brass after bought as factory. So far I'm fls everything."

Gotcha. However, if you are not getting all the residue out of the primer pockets, they are going to be difficult to prime. I don't know if you are currently doing that but, I take it you aren't for the obvious reasons they are hard. You gotta do it though. If you get the primer pockets cleaned out well, they'll prime much better.

I am just trying to help. I may be assuming something that isn't so. If I am, just ignore it. If I'm not, do it and you'll see why it is necessary. God Bless
Old April 9, 2015, 12:20 PM   #28
snuffy

Quote:
"Mountaineer. I'm not tumbling. Vibrating with media. But I'm using the Lee primer tool on them. This will be the second loading of this brass after bought as factory. So far I'm fls everything."

Gotcha. However, if you are not getting all the residue out of the primer pockets, they are going to be difficult to prime. I don't know if you are currently doing that but, I take it you aren't for the obvious reasons they are hard. You gotta do it though. If you get the primer pockets cleaned out well, they'll prime much better.

I am just trying to help. I may be assuming something that isn't so. If I am, just ignore it. If I'm not, do it and you'll see why it is necessary. God Bless
Cleaning primer pockets is NOT needed. You can load any cartridge with a boxer primer that has NOT been crimped without cleaning the pocket. OCD reloaders insist it's necessary though. Many blind studies have been conducted, cleaning versus not cleaning, no difference in; velocity, group size, or Standard Deviation, (SD).

However a primer pocket uniformer will only cut the bottom of the pocket square and to a uniform depth. It usually will also remove the fired primer residue at the same time. It does nothing to the inside dimension of the pocket,(circumference).

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old April 9, 2015, 09:17 PM   #29
WVMountaineer

Snuffy, there are people who say what you do. That is fine by me. I've loaded a bunch and, for me, yes they are. Cleaning primer pockets reduces misfires and makes priming easier in my experience. Which didn't start yesterday. Priming becomes especially easier after cleaning the pockets when using a hand primer. I know in all regards I just mentioned because I used to not clean them.

Studies really doesn't matter to me. Results do. This isn't a debate over the best way of doing things or what some guy's preference is. The OP stated she had a problem with getting the cases primed. I told her why without seeing them. This was factory loaded brass, not reloading component brass. If the pockets were that bad out, causing these priming problems, they shouldn't have passed QC to be loaded in the factory the first time. God Bless

Last edited by WVMountaineer; April 9, 2015 at 09:29 PM.
Old April 9, 2015, 09:36 PM   #30
math teacher

It appears the OPs thread has been hijacked.