The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 1, 2013, 08:02 PM   #1
BuckRub

Reloading 7.62

My son has a question. He is thinking about reloading for his 7.62 SKS. He wants RCBS dies and said they have FL and AR dies. I guess the AR are small base but not really sure. Has anyone reloaded for a SKS and had problems with FL not cycling or should he go ahead and get the AR to make sure ? Thanks
Old December 1, 2013, 08:55 PM   #2
Marco Califo

7.62 (308) OR 7.62x39???

Until you mentioned SKS I thought you meant 308 (AKA 7.62, or 7.62x51). Since it is an SKS you therefore mean 7.62x39.
Midway.com has 7.62x39 dies in regular and small base. The RCBS small base dies are called: RCBS AR Series Small Base 2-Die Set with Taper Crimp 7.62x39mm.
Do you NEED small base for an SKS? I cannot answer that.
Old December 1, 2013, 09:06 PM   #3
BuckRub

Sorry and yes 7.62 x 39. And yes I was wanting to know if he needs a small base (AR) dies or full length.
Old December 1, 2013, 09:14 PM   #4
tangolima

I have been using regular RCBS die reloading for my SKS. No problem whatsoever.

-TL
Old December 1, 2013, 09:19 PM   #5
Marco Califo

Small base ARE full length. You need to resize the full length to get to the smaller base diameter.
Regular dies could be called "full-length", versus "Neck Sizing" dies, which are not full length. "Small Base" are full length dies which resize to a smaller base diameter.
The remaining part of your question, is small bases needed for SKS, someone else will need to answer. However, the fact that RCBS included "AR" in the name for their small base dies, rather than "SKS", leads me to think that YOU do not need small base for SKS.
Old December 1, 2013, 09:25 PM   #6
BuckRub

Thanks Marco and yes I know SB are full size but usually size alittle smaller. And I also wondered about calling them AR too.
Old December 1, 2013, 11:55 PM   #7
hodaka

It won't hurt to use small base dies. I supposed that theoretically the brass may not last as long due to the fact that you are working it a bit more but your problem with the SKS will be finding them, not overworking the base. I have reloaded 7.62x39 for years using regular Lee dies. An easy round to load.
Old December 2, 2013, 12:37 AM   #8
w748

Another long time reloader for 7.62x39. Load for SKS and a CZ bolt.
No need at all for small base dies in anything I've owned ;AKs , SKSs, and the CZ.
Try slugging your bore too. I once had a Russian SKS with a .3095 bore that shot amazingly tight groups with .308 bullets.
I think you'll find it costs more to reload that cartridge than buy any of the various Wolfs or Tigers or Bears that you'll find. Also easier to find loaded rounds lately then components.
Best to ya.
Old December 2, 2013, 12:46 AM   #9
BuckRub

Thanks. He's gonna try FL dies then. They have them in stock at Midways while out of stick for ARs. Ammo may be cheaper to buy loaded IDK but he just wants to buy in bulks and he likes reloading also. He has about 2000 rds of loaded ammo. His is the Chinese one, short barrel and made for AK magazines. Shoots good for what it made for.
Old December 2, 2013, 01:59 PM   #10

My SKS rifles have always ejected brass in an unreloadable condidtion. It's a shame because I would really like to load 150 gr. bullets and have Ramshot X-Terminator which is about the perfect powder to use for 150s. I use X-Terminator for Gas Check lead bullets in .30-30 and happened to notice how well it seems to do with 150s in 7.62 X 39mm. For now, I'm stuck with using stuff like Wolf.
Old December 2, 2013, 03:00 PM   #11
BuckRub

Why is yours spitting brass out unreliadable ? My sons seems to just be fired and nothing wrong with them otherwise.
Old December 3, 2013, 02:29 PM   #12

BuckRub, the cases slam the ejection port or something on the way out. It leaves a pretty deep horizontal cut on brass or steel cases. I tried further relieving the ejection port on one them to no avail. If I had one that ejected brass cleanly, there's no doubt that I would handload for it and I definitely wanted to try 150 gr. .311" Spitzers ovr X-Terminator. I also considered getting a SAIGA until my shooting partner bought one, but Russian law requires two-stepping in the chamber that in turn causes 2 different diameters on the case neck to identify civilian rifles from Military, That I could probably work around if I could find a SAIGA with a 20" barrel. I'd rather have an SKS that ejects brass cleanly.
Old December 3, 2013, 02:50 PM   #13
BuckRub

Oh I see. My sons SKS throws brass out perfect for reloading.
Old December 3, 2013, 06:10 PM   #14
hodaka

Cuts in brass are serious, dents, not so much. My PTR put major dents in the .308 brass as well as the chamber stripes but I could not tell much difference in brass life from my DPMS LR-308. They didn't look as pretty, but they worked well (if I could find them). I also reload my P7 9mm brass numerous times although they sure look ugly.