The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old August 10, 2013, 09:44 PM   #1
mmccall60

Colt AR .22 OPS Rifle Rail question

Newbie here. I have been out of the gun collecting/modifying/shooting hobby for over 10 years and all of my experience is non AR related. Mostly old WWII weapons and the venerable AK47. So this past July I got a Colt AR .22 OPS rifle for my birthday. I have not shot the rifle yet due to ammo shortage but finally managed to find 100 rds to sight it in before Squirrel season begins. However my question is simple and has nothing to do with sighting it in or it's operation. I need to know one thing right now: How do you remove the Forearm Rail panels in order to add other components to the rifle? I scoured the web looking for DIY videos on dissembling the rifle and found plenty on the standard forearm but not one on the OPS rifle. Any advice or a link to vids concerning this question will be appreciated. - Thanks.
Old August 11, 2013, 08:19 AM   #2
BPowderkeg

if it is the Umarex version you have very few if any options, i had one of Umarex versions shot two full mags thru it then traded it off for a S&W M&P .22, it is a nightmare to clean, there is an adjustment for shooting different brands of .22 ammo, which also is a pain in the rear end !!

before you shoot it, while it is still NIB, consider selling it or trading it for a S&W M&P .22

that is my best recommendation
Old August 12, 2013, 12:38 AM   #3
mmccall60

Thanks for the advice. But still I need the question answered. This rifle like I stated, is a birthday gift so selling it or trading it off is not an option simply because of the 'family factor'. I can live with the nightmare of cleaning the gun and adjusting for ammunition. Lord knows I have had worse guns that were high maintenance and finicky on ammo. The S&W MP .22 was considered by the family but rejected it because the upper and lower is Polymer, not metal and the Colt is as close to a true M16 rifle as you can get in looks and function. A cousin who holds an FFL and is in the gun business owns several of these Colt M4 .22 rifles. He and his son shoot them on a regular basis without any quality issues, malfunctions or accuracy performance. There are pros and cons to every Gun design out there that has it's own limitations in performance and function. Its all in what you are using it for and willing to put up with that makes it a great gun or a nightmare.

So my question still stands.
Old August 12, 2013, 12:44 AM   #4
Venom1956

honestly I would doubt it is removable by the looks of it.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old August 12, 2013, 08:34 AM   #5
Fishbed77

Quote:
The S&W MP .22 was considered by the family but rejected it because the upper and lower is Polymer, not metal and the Colt is as close to a true M16 rifle as you can get in looks and function.
The Colt/Umarex M4-22 is FAR from being the closest you can to a real AR-15 (we won't say M16 because we know that is a select-fire military rifle). It's a potmetal AR-15 replica. It looks similar to an AR-15, but the construction and materials are completely different. Most true AR-15 parts are not interchangeable.

The closest thing in .22LR that you can get is an actual forged aluminum AR-15 chambered in .22LR, such as those offered by CMMG (or Spikes, etc.). They use a real AR upper and lower receiver, fire control group, parts, etc. The only difference is the .22LR barrel, bolt, and magazine.

Last edited by Fishbed77; August 13, 2013 at 10:50 AM.
Old August 12, 2013, 09:26 AM   #6
BPowderkeg

mmccall60, does your rifle look like the above photo ?

or this:

"How do you remove the Forearm Rail panels in order to add other components to the rifle?"

you see this is what is confusing, if you have the one in the first photo you do NOT need to remove anything, just add on whatever you want, if it is the bottom photo, you are pretty much S.O.L.

can you post a photo of your Colt ?
Old August 12, 2013, 11:55 AM   #7
mmccall60

It is like the one in the first picture. Colt M4 .22 OPS. Here is a picture of mine. Note the panels are attached to the Quad-rail forearm. There is a spring clamp on the forward end of each of the three panels. None at the rear of the panels. This configuration as seen in the picture is exactly how I received it.

Please note that in referencing the Colt OPS rifle, my information source is from the Colt Website. The following is a description from that website:

"The Colt M4 Carbine is a spot on .22 LR replica of the current carbine version of the M-16 machine gun issued to U.S. military. It features a carbine length barrel, collapsible stock and removable carry handle. As with the original, the upper and lower receiver is made of high quality aluminum. The Colt M4 Carbine Semi-Automatic Rifle in .22 L.R. is manufactured exclusively by Walther under license from Colt. It is the only genuine Colt tactical rimfire replica available in the world". Referencing website: http://www.waltherarms.com/products/...as/m4-carbine/

In short, the upper and lower is made of high-quality Aluminum. Which means a grade lower than aircraft Aluminum. A pot-metal receiver is not a metal that can withstand abuse nor is it a choice to use on firearms. For the manufacturer, pot-metal is a liability, quality issue and a warranty nightmare that can break reputations and make lawsuits. Pot-metal is made up of zinc, lead, copper, tin, magnesium, aluminum, iron, and cadmium. It is prone to breakage, pitting, flaking, solvent corrosion and cannot be easily welded, soldered or glued. And to top it off, pot-metal cannot be easily machined due to it's weak metallurgical structure and tendency to form gas/air pockets during casting. This type of monkey metal is not stable and ages poorly. I worked in the metal Casting business for years as a engineer so I know my metals.

The last thing I want is to feel like I have to defend myself and my rifle on the first thread I started since I joined this forum. And thanks to those who are truly helping me out here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MichaelMcCall-BDay-ColtM4-22.jpg (191.2 KB, 38 views)

Last edited by mmccall60; August 12, 2013 at 01:51 PM.
Old August 12, 2013, 10:53 PM   #8
Fishbed77

Quote:
the Colt is as close to a true M16 rifle as you can get in looks and function
Just correcting your comment that "the Colt is as close to a true M16 rifle as you can get in looks and function". It is not. Reciting marketing fluff does not change that. The cast receiver may not be potmetal, but it sure ain't 7075 forged aluminum. I've never met an Umarex product that didn't have potmetal/zamak in its construction.

If you are happy with your rifle though, that's all that matters. I'm sure plenty of folks are happy with their Umarex/Colt.
Old August 12, 2013, 11:02 PM   #9
BPowderkeg

i truly am trying to help you, those plastic panels on the sides are what you want to remove, right ? the instructions for removal should be in your manual, i just done a blow up of your photo, that spring clamp on the front should just snap off by using a screw driver to pry up and outwards in that grove in the middle of the spring, you might need two screwdrivers one fore, one aft, but be careful, i have had spring clips similar to those on your rifle and when they let lose, they tend to take off like a fired bullet wear safety glasses or put a towel over them when prying then lose.

Quote:
The last thing I want is to feel like I have to defend myself and my rifle on the first thread I started since I joined this forum. And thanks to those who are truly helping me out here.
no one is trying to bust your hump here, in your first post you clarified you have no AR experience, you must understand that your Colt Walther Umarex is quite a bit different than any AR we are familiar with, irregardless of the Colt propaganda. (i personally have over 40 years experience with the AR-15, M16, M4 clones from Colt, Bushmaster, LWRCI and many other manufacturers others here also have an extensive knowledge of AR's, so trust us when we offer advice and info.)

"The Colt M4 Carbine is a spot on .22 LR replica of the current carbine version of the M-16 machine gun (the M16 is a rifle, your OPS (?) is a knock off of an M4, which is a carbine) issued to U.S. military. (not one bit true) It features a carbine length barrel, collapsible stock and removable carry handle. As with the original, the upper and lower receiver is made of high quality aluminum. The Colt M4 Carbine Semi-Automatic Rifle in .22 L.R. is manufactured exclusively by Walther under license from Colt. It is the only genuine Colt tactical rimfire replica available in the world". (NOT true, i clicked on the URL and Walther makes several different variations of this Umarex .22RF) Referencing website: http://www.waltherarms.com/products/...as/m4-carbine/
Old August 13, 2013, 02:34 AM   #10
mmccall60

Quote:
"i truly am trying to help you, those plastic panels on the sides are what you want to remove, right ? the instructions for removal should be in your manual, i just done a blow up of your photo, that spring clamp on the front should just snap off by using a screw driver to pry up and outwards in that grove in the middle of the spring, you might need two screwdrivers one fore, one aft, but be careful, i have had spring clips similar to those on your rifle and when they let lose, they tend to take off like a fired bullet wear safety glasses or put a towel over them when prying then lose."
Bpowderkeg: Thanks for the answer to my question. That is all I was needing to know. The manual does not cover Rail panels or any other instructional information on this gun's accessories. Even the cleaning and care section stops short on a through break-down and cleaning.

The reason this rifle was given as a gift was I expressed a desire to pick back up Squirrel hunting while I recovered from Cancer (Squirrel hunting is something I haven't done since I was 17 .. I'm now 53) and I was needing a .22 rifle. So I threw out a wish list to the family and suggested a cheap shooter ... a Mossberg 715T from wal-mart. Long story short, the family decided the Mossberg was not good enough and opted to send me the Colt instead. I cannot look at a gift horse in the mouth. After I recover from this Cancer and get back to work, I may consider purchasing a true AR and experimenting with a build or two in the near future. - Thanks for your help.
Old August 13, 2013, 08:38 AM   #11
BPowderkeg

mmccall60, very sorry to learn of your bout with cancer, i will include you in my evening prayers.

Quote:
Thanks for your help.

any time my friend, when you get around to buying that "true AR" or a build, you know where to come for help, i have done a few builds, but my specialty is repairing, i am currently "tutoring" an 86 y.o. man on his bunged up AR, he told me he took it to a gun smith who does not like working on AR's, but will do it any way, now i am trying my best to get his AR back to working order.
Old August 13, 2013, 09:30 AM   #12
Strafer Gott

They don't pry off. Depress the bar with your thumb, and slide the rail cover off in the forward direction. Simple.
Old August 13, 2013, 10:49 AM   #13
Fishbed77

Quote:
So I threw out a wish list to the family and suggested a cheap shooter ... a Mossberg 715T from wal-mart. Long story short, the family decided the Mossberg was not good enough and opted to send me the Colt instead
They did get you a better rifle. The 715T is nothing but a Mossberg Plinkster in a flimsy plastic shell.

Best wishes on your fight against cancer. Our prayers are with you. And good luck squirrel hunting! I wish I could zap the little boogers in my yard, but that's frowned upon in city limits!
Old August 13, 2013, 04:14 PM   #14
Quentin2

I'm a fan of the Colt M4 Tactical 22LR. I got the basic model a few years ago and have been pleased with its reliability and accuracy. (Sorry, don't have the OPS model so can't help with the rails.) I compared the Colt with the S&W side by side and it's no contest when you pick them up and compare heft and looks alongside a real Colt 6920.

The S&W fire control group and ease of cleaning are advantages but the Colt weighs the same as the 6920 and has metal receivers. At the time the S&W looked cheap and felt cheap so I paid $450 for the Colt, about $50 more than the M&P15-22.

Both are good rifles and reliable if you use good ammo. My buddy has the S&W and we've shot alongside each other many times. We both have no trouble using Federal and Winchester valuepack (and lots of trouble when using Remington Golden Bullet). The magazines for both rifles are really good.

Another option I considered was a 22LR upper which also was about $450. It's probably the best option but you need another lower or swap uppers when you want 22LR. I went with the dedicated 22 because it's a complete firearm and never was sorry.

Today the S&W and the Colt are improved. The Colt now has a standard 90 degree selector and the ejection port cover now stays closed when you snap it in. The S&W now offers more models and even gives you a flash hider.

Good luck with your new Colt, mmccall60, and of course good luck with your cancer treatment!

Last edited by Quentin2; August 13, 2013 at 04:23 PM.
Old August 14, 2013, 03:34 AM   #15
mmccall60

Thanks!

Thanks guys for the advice. The panels slide off as described by Stafer Gott.

Quentin2, Glad to see another Colt M4.22 owner on here. Even though 22 ammo is in critical shortages in my area, I did manage to find 100 rds of ammo and guess what kind ... yep, you guessed it! Federal Premium Gold Metal Target. LOL I assume that is the same ammo you mentioned you had trouble with.

Several years ago, I did own a Beowulf AR .50 cal. which I got in a trade for my 1986 Honda 600XR trail bike. The Beowulf came with no iron or optic sights. The quad rail forearm did not have panels so holding the rifle was painful with those sharp rail edges. The only thing that came with the rifle was 350 rds of ammo in various bullet weights and designs. At the time, I had no interest in the rifle and within a few weeks sold it when a fellow made an offer that I could not refuse. I should have kept it but at the time it seemed like the thing to do. Hind sight is 20/20 and foresight is damn near blind.

I am no novice to firearms. My gun interest was in older firearms of WWII era and back. Including some Class III weapons and civil war black-powder muzzle-loaders like the Enfield .68 cal. And I reloaded for most of the guns I owned at that time. Sadly, circumstances and fortunes change that force men to give up things they enjoy as in my case. Cancer being the latest circumstance. But I am on the road to recovery and may go back to work soon. - Have a good day!
Old August 14, 2013, 11:36 AM   #16
Quentin2

mmccall60, you have a good day too! And I hope many, many, many more as well (as in a full recovery)!
Old August 14, 2013, 12:23 PM   #17
CharlieDeltaJuliet

Brother, I wish you the best with your recovery. Listen to Quentin2, he knows his stuff. I have the Hk 416 .22( bought it for the wife). It is a great shooter. Take care and keep shooting.
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old August 14, 2013, 07:18 PM   #18
Quentin2

Funny thing that the H&K 416 22LR gets a lot of praise while the Colt M4 Tactical 22LR routinely gets trashed, yet they're pretty much the same gun internally, even use the same magazine. Sounds like a great rifle you have, CharlieDeltaJuliet. Well, your wife's I guess!
Old August 14, 2013, 07:32 PM   #19
CharlieDeltaJuliet

I love it, I shot it more than her. She liked my MR556, so I bought her the .416 .22. The magazines are the best .22 magazines... I love the Colt/Hk mags , hell even the MP5 mags are good. I will never knock them again. They impressed me. I have a dedicated CMMG AR in .22, it doesn't see the range as often as the Hk 416 .22.
..." - Thomas Jefferson