The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 20, 2013, 05:02 PM   #1
leadchucker

I'm Running Low

I'm running low on W231. I had planned to pick up a pound or two at the next local gun show. Yeah, you can stop laughing now.

Seriously, any chance of finding any anywhere?
Old January 20, 2013, 05:13 PM   #2
Adamantium

W231/HP38 online? I doubt it. Something in the same burn range that meters well, absolutely. Are you willing to switch powders and what are you reloading for?
Old January 20, 2013, 05:33 PM   #3
GP100man

WW231/HP38
IMR 700X
Hodgdon`s CLAYS
" " Titegroup
Alliant Bullseye
AA#2

Out of these fast powders Titegroup meters as good as 231 ,but just a tad faster burnin.
I have consistent throws with a lee AD with 700x .
Old January 20, 2013, 07:01 PM   #4
Misssissippi Dave

It depends of what you are loading as to a good sub to get you by for now. On line purchases of some powders can be found. It will still take a while for them to show up at your door.

In the future, it might help to keep stocked a year in advance of what you plan to shoot. Once things settle down and components are available again, I suggest purchasing a little extra of everything you need to reload. Also put in orders a little more often. Eventually you will get up to the point of having a years stock on hand. Generally that will get a person through these crazy times. I also keep some factory ammo on hand to supply me with brass.

This past year I tried a few different powders for the calibers I reload for. I wanted to see if I could find a better load and to see what I could switch to if I couldn't get the powder I prefer for a while. Now it is paying off for me. I have a little of the other powders I tried that work. I hope I have enough of the powders I prefer to use.

As long as you have primers you should be able to get some type of powder to load just about anything. You would have to work the loads back up again. Bullets should become available first. Powder next and primers last. Just the reverse of how they disappeared.

For me, I have reduced the number of rounds fired per range trip. I have also cut the number of range trips per month in half. This should let me stretch out my resources until I can get more supplies.
Old January 20, 2013, 07:08 PM   #5
leadchucker

All I'm currently loading are 380 acp, 9mm Luger, 40 S&W, and 45 acp. W231 has been a perfect "one and only" powder for every load I've wanted to work up in those calibers. Of course HP38 would be fine too. I might try Bullseye, 700X, Titegroup, or maybe Red Dot, if I could find them. I haven't seen any of those around either.

It's not practical to pay hazmat shipping for a couple of pounds of powder anyway. I was hoping to find something at one of the gun shows coming up in Feb. I guess I'm in for a rude awakening.
Old January 20, 2013, 07:19 PM   #6
m&p45acp10+1

I advise against using Hi-Skor 700x or 800x while it does give higher velocity it meters terribly. I still have most of a can of 800x from 4 years ago. I save it for when I have nothing else available. The last thing I want to do is hand weigh each charge for hand gun ammo.
Old January 20, 2013, 07:39 PM   #7
Adamantium

You may well find it, but not for the price you remember.

It was hard not to come out ahead ordering online even before the big rush on supplies. I did the math for my area and at $100 worth of reloading supplies hazmat and shipping was cheaper than the local mark up. Back then primers were $35 per 1000 and powder $20-28 per pound.
Old January 20, 2013, 07:43 PM   #8
m&p45acp10+1

So far as I have seen at the local shop, and at Cabela's there was no shortage of powders. Though Cabela's shelves were picked clean of primers. Not a single box, or sleve in the store. They are still waiting on thier order that was put in on Thursday after store inventory was done. The worst part is I was wanting to buy a Lee Classic Turret Press. There is not one that I could find available anywhere. That is online stores, and searching shops, even the high priced ones.
Old January 20, 2013, 07:44 PM   #9
Charley345

IMR 700-X meters perfectly in my lee perfect powder measure on my turret.

Well maybe I'm not picky enough, when I say perfect it varies from 3.5gr to 3.6gr using disk hole #53
Old January 20, 2013, 07:55 PM   #10
leadchucker

I guess you mean the Lee Auto Disk measure. That's what I have.

And it doesn't deal well at all with Unique, so I guess 700x is out.
Old January 20, 2013, 07:58 PM   #11
m&p45acp10+1

TiteGroup and Bull's Eye meter like water.
Old January 20, 2013, 08:10 PM   #12
reynolds357

I tried titegroup one time. It was a humid, still day. I had to stop and let the smoke clear so I could see how to finish emptying my 21 round magazine. Zip has almost identical burn rate as 231 and it burns clean. Its kind of like a semi-smashed ball and not quite a true flake so it meters very well.
Old January 20, 2013, 08:15 PM   #13
hounddawg

Might try one of the Ramshot, Accurate, or Vihtavouri powders. A lot of people still have them in stock I used a pound of VV a couple of years back but switched to 231 myself for the price difference. My 223 loves Ramshot TAC never tried their pistol powders though
Old January 20, 2013, 08:24 PM   #14
m&p45acp10+1

I forgot to mention. If you are using cast bullets then Bull's Eye gets my thumbs up. I love using TiteGroup with jacketed, and plated in 9mm. For cast I have not had good results from it.

When the time comes if I can get it I will go to one of the Accurate powders. I use AA#9 in my .41 Mag, and .357 Mag loads with great results with cast or jacketed bullets, and it shoots very clean as well. Though it is a magnum load powder. I may look into some AA#5 when I get low on Bull's Eye. (Bought an extra pound of it when I had some extra cash a while back, so it should last for a good while.)
Old January 21, 2013, 08:01 PM   #15
Misssissippi Dave

You probably could get by with Winchester AutoComp powder.
Old January 21, 2013, 08:09 PM   #16
Jim Watson

Powder Valley is in pretty good shape on AA powders and has almost all Vihtavouri. Hodgdon, Winchester, and IMR, not so much, although they do have 700X.

I have loaded a good deal of pistol ammo with 700X because I have always kept some for 12 gauge. But it is aggravating with uneven metering from RCBS, CH, and Dillon measures. Maybe I should have adapted a Lee.
Old January 21, 2013, 08:41 PM   #17
NWPilgrim

Natchezss.com has AA2, AA5, Ramshot Zip, and Universal Clays in stock.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old January 21, 2013, 09:36 PM   #18
Daggitt

What kind of prices are they Charging for a pound of rifle or pistol powder at a gun shop or Cabela's ? I was lucky. I had a pretty good supply and have not darkened the doors of yon gunstore since the craze kicked in. What's it like out there in that brave new world ?
Old January 21, 2013, 09:37 PM   #19
leadchucker

There's a gun show about fifty miles away next weekend. Maybe I'll find something there.

FWIW, I noticed that the price sticker is still on my last bottle of 231. I paid $26.95 for it. I dread to see what another bottle will cost if I find any.

Thanks for the replies.
Old January 21, 2013, 09:41 PM   #20
reynolds357

I Paid $18 for 760 two months ago. I paid $25.95 for it last week. Its all going up thanks to Obama.
Old January 22, 2013, 02:24 PM   #21
BigD_in_FL

Quote:
There's a gun show about fifty miles away next weekend. Maybe I'll find something there.

FWIW, I noticed that the price sticker is still on my last bottle of 231. I paid $26.95 for it. I dread to see what another bottle will cost if I find any.

Thanks for the replies.
Since most of those are shotgun powders, you might try calling your local trap/skeet type clubs - especially if they have a pro shop - they might have one of those powders sitting on the shelf
Old January 22, 2013, 08:12 PM   #22
Adamantium

Driving 100 miles and paying the entrance fee for a gun show? That probably covers the $25 hazmat fee right there without running the risk of price gouging or finding nothing. If you enjoy going to gun shows then it is a different story because it's more on an entertainment cost but I doubt an honest man can go to a gun show right now without getting a bit irritated.
Old January 22, 2013, 09:01 PM   #23
leadchucker

I like going to gun shows. I've found some of my best gun deals at gun shows. I've never yet regretted paying the entrance fee into a gun show. I'm always trying to think up an excuse to go to gun shows. As an added bonus, for the cost of the fuel I'll use, I'll be close to a couple of good gun/reloading stores. I think my chances are good that I'll find what I'm looking for. Instant gratification. And who knows? I might just find me another collectible milsurp while I'm there.

OTOH, I could put in my order to PV, and wait, and wait, and wait, and eventually get my two pounds of powder at a twenty five buck premium. Boring. Which I may have to do yet if the weekend mission doesn't pan out.
Old January 22, 2013, 09:13 PM   #24
hounddawg

on eh local price issue I paid $24.95 a week or so back for a pound of Unique at the largest gun shop in the area. The one closest my house always charges closer to 30 but those guys main business is to the skeet and trap crowd and I have never seen a "bargain" on anything there.
Old January 22, 2013, 09:31 PM   #25
Daggitt

I don't think those prices are bad. Was already paying $20 or $25 a pound before all this craziness. On the other hand I also have two cans of IMR SR-4756 which are marked in pen $9.00 . Shows you how much it as gone up over the years. I think I got that powder in the 1990's.