The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 18, 2012, 05:01 PM   #1
Martowski

Versatile Handgun Powder w/ Lee Pro Auto Disk?

I'm going to be putting together a new loading setup around a Lee Classic Turret press, and the measure will be the Lee Pro Auto Disk. I will primarily be loading 9mm and .38 special, but will also be loading some .40 S&W and .45 ACP as well.

I'm looking for a good all-around powder for all of these calibers. Most of my loads will be target loads for range use. I've heard suggestions of Bullseye (which is what I currently use in my .38 WC loads), Unique, Titegroup, and W231.

The most important factors are that it meters well out of the Pro Auto Disk Measure and can be used for all these calibers. Also, powders that use less grains per load are a plus for economic reasons. Low smoke is also a plus but not a deal-breaker.

I was thinking of Bullseye as I can get it for $13.99/lb locally, but is there any reason to use the other powders instead? Probably 75% of what I load will be 9mm.

Thanks.
Old February 18, 2012, 05:37 PM   #2
David Bachelder

Try Hodgdon Universal. It meters nicely and is well behaved.
Old February 18, 2012, 06:09 PM   #3
Martowski

Thanks David. Universal looks like a good alternative as well, and seems to be pretty efficient like Bullseye.
Old February 18, 2012, 06:20 PM   #4
Martowski

In looking at other resources on the web, seems like Unique and Universal both get the nod here, with some folks indicating Universal burns cleaner.
Old February 18, 2012, 06:53 PM   #5
dunerjeff

I've had good results with HP-38(Win231). It is a little slower than Bullseye (which I haven't used so I can't say if it is good nor bad).I've always prefered the slower end for the added safety margin in a bigger min to max charge range,plus double charges would fill the case capasity more obviously. When you look at Bullseye for a certain load it could be 3.4grmin to 3.7grmax,if you want a 3.5 or 3.6gr charge and your measure varies by +/- .1 your changing pressures quite a bit.
But many people use it happily with no issues so that may speak for itself, just something to remember when looking at the most "economical" powders.

Universal is a little slower than HP-38/Win231, so it is one I may give a try sometime even.
Old February 18, 2012, 11:07 PM   #6
Orochimaru

Hodgdon Universal is very versatile AND meters quite nicely from the Lee Auto Disk. I use it on everything from 380 up to light-ish magnum loads.
Old February 19, 2012, 12:04 AM   #7
oldreloader

I use both Bullseye and HP38 in my Pro Auto DIsc. They are very consistant as is AA #5 & #7.
Old February 19, 2012, 09:02 AM   #8
dickttx

HP38/231 measures very consistently thru my PAD, and have had good results with it in .38/357, 9mm, .41 Mag, .45 ACP and .45 Colt. Getting ready to try .38 Super with it.
After accumulating gobs of different powders years ago, when I started reloading again about a year ago, I tried and stayed with HP38. Buy it by the 8# jug and the price of powder for reloading is inconsequential (11000+ rounds per jug).
Old February 19, 2012, 05:19 PM   #9
springer99

I don't have any problems using my PAD(with the micro-adjustable bar) with Titegroup, W231 or HS-6. Holds to +/- .1gr without problems, but the lightest charge weight I've dialed in is 3.8gr. with any of them.
Old February 19, 2012, 05:44 PM   #10
huntinaz

Quote:
I was thinking of Bullseye as I can get it for $13.99/lb locally
Must be nice! I'm pretty sure that beats a powder valley order!

I like titegroup for the applicaion you describe. Bullseye is good too. I just started using W231--also good. All meter well thru the Lee auto disk.

Unique is marginal in my opinion, as far a metering in my Lee auto disk.