The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 3, 2011, 10:48 AM   #1
ockhamsrifle

1911 frame w/ serial number 13XX-NM

I inherited an old 1911 with no manufacturer's name on the frame. The only markings on the frame are 13XX- NM. I replaced two of the numbers with XX. This pistol has a Colt slide and has been in the family since at least the early sixties and maybe the late fifties. Can anyone tell me who made the frame? A pistolsmith whose opinion I respect thought possibly it is an early Colt national match gun, but he couldn't find the serial number listed in a reference book. I am considering having a new slide fit to the frame as the current slide has threaded holes on top for an old "Bomar rib".
Old September 3, 2011, 11:13 AM   #2
38 Super Fan

That number would be correct for a 58 Colt National Match Model (Gold Cup)frame. Should look my 62 models.

Last edited by 38 Super Fan; September 3, 2011 at 11:18 AM.
Old September 3, 2011, 12:00 PM   #3
ockhamsrifle

38 Super Fan,
Yes, it looks very similar, but your's is nicer. Since mine is not stock, would it be okay to have a new slide fit to it or would that be improper?
Old September 3, 2011, 09:18 PM   #4
38 Super Fan

I suppose you could do that, it would be nice to find a correct slide, your current slide is not original?
Old September 3, 2011, 09:39 PM   #5
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I think before I swapped out the slide I'd try either plugging the screw holes with blind screws (they make them fir this specific purpose), or having the holes TIG welded and the slide refinished.
Old September 4, 2011, 08:17 AM   #6
ockhamsrifle

We believe the slide is original but it has those five threaded holes in it. I guess I will try the headless screws to fill the holes. Thanks for the help and advice.
Old September 4, 2011, 09:12 AM   #7
Dashunde

Good advice.
Its easy enough to set the blind screws and TIG down the excess to lock them in place, then refinish both frame and slide.

Even if someone chimes in stating is is valuable or a collectors piece the damage is already done, might as well fix it I say.