The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 26, 2009, 05:00 PM   #1
2002gti

recoil diff between a pump and s/a gun

just curious, i own a couple of lightweight pumps and to me the recoil is pretty stout with full power loads. just wondering if a semi auto would be alot less punishing?
Old November 26, 2009, 05:31 PM   #2
zippy13

Typically the perceived recoil, or kick, is lessened with a semi-auto. This has been discussed here many times and it generally boils down to the semi-autos: (1) Spreading the recoil reaction over a longer period of time, and (2) The mechanism of the semi-auto gun eats some recoil.

Is the recoil reduced "a lot" with a semi-auto? -- it depends on several factors and your perception. Your best bet is to borrow a semi-auto and shoot it side by side with your pump with the same ammo. Then, draw your own conclusions. Your light pump guns may give you a serious kick, in some part, because of a poor fit.
Old November 26, 2009, 06:17 PM   #3
LHB1

Quote: "just curious, i own a couple of lightweight pumps and to me the recoil is pretty stout with full power loads."

Perhaps a large part of your problem is the weight of your guns. With the same load, a lighter gun naturally recoils more than a heavier gun. If you apply the same force to two objects, the lighter object will move more, faster, etc. than the heavier object. Other factors in recoil effect is good recoil pad, fit of rifle/shotgun, lighter loads vs heavier loads, and shooter perception. You can shorten or lengthen a stock when attaching a recoil pad. You can add a pad on top of stock comb or rasp/lower the comb (which requires refinishing stock). You can add weight inside stock of some rifles/shotguns although this will affect fore/aft balance of gun.