The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 28, 1999, 11:47 AM   #1
cornered rat

I would like to get a 12 or 20ga pump for entertainment/plinking and possible defensive uses. I do not expect to be all that proficient with it, so the defense use would be secondary, for those cases when nothing else is close enough.

I have narrowed my choice down to Mossberg 590 in 12ga and Winchester Defender in 12 or 20. Defenders come with Tru-glo sights which seem very fast to use, 590 comes with Ghost ring which feels more exact if a bit slower.

Has anyone a preference for one over the other for precision/durability/etc.?

Also, Defenders have a hinged cover for the loading gate, 590 doesn't...pros/cons on that? Does the cover act like a ramp for reloading or just get in the way?

------------------
Cornered Rat
http://dd-b.net/RKBA RKBA posters
http://dd-b.net/olegv Portrait, nature photos

Old October 29, 1999, 12:25 AM   #2
Blue Jays

Hi Cornered Rat-

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> The defensive use of the shotgun will be secondary...when nothing else is close enough.[/quote]Home defense is when the shotgun shines its brightest!

Anyway, you'll find the ghost ring sights are a treat to use and are very intuitive. The Tru-Glos are decent, too.

Best of luck in your selection, you can't go too far wrong when choosing this multi-purpose tool.

~ Blue Jays ~

[This message has been edited by Blue Jays (edited October 29, 1999).]