The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 21, 2017, 01:18 PM   #26
T. O'Heir

"...Got(SIC) to eBay and..." Help fund the people who want to take your firearms away from you.
Go buy a copy of The ABC's of Reloading, then look into the RCBS kit($247.49 is an excellent price). RCBS stuff is generally more expensive, but it comes with a life time total and complete warrantee, on the kit, not the buyer. (Lee's is a year or 2 on manufacturer's defects only and doesn't cover used anything.) Have any issues of any kind, including if you buy used kit, and RCBS will fix it with a phone call or e-mail. The No$ler manual that comes with it is ok, but buy a Lyman manual too. It's far more versatile than any bullet or powder maker's book.
Speed with a single stage press comes with technique.
And don't hesitate to ask any questions here. The only stupid question is the one not asked.
Old October 21, 2017, 01:58 PM   #27
BBarn

I strongly recommend starting with a single stage press. It's use will do a good job of training the beginner on the finer points of each step of the reloading process.

I started out with a nice single stage starter kit about 30 years ago. Except for a newer digital scale I still use all of those kit tools regularly, even though I have recently added a progressive press to my reloading tools.

Setting up the progressive required considerable time, adjustments, and fiddling. It was frustrating enough as it was. I think it would have been much more difficult had I not had the previous single stage reloading experience.

I currently load five different cartridges on the progressive. But I still load other cartridges on the single stage. And unless I'm going to load at least 150 rounds, I'll still use the single stage over the progressive. And I'm sure glad for the single stage when working up a new load.
Old October 21, 2017, 02:43 PM   #28
TruthTellers

Given the last post the OP made, I would say Lee Classic Turret. Loading 100 rounds will probably take 90 minutes on the single stage, but on the LCT the setup time is much lower because you can keep all your dies in the turret and switch quickly. It will also make more ammo in a shorter time. Easily can make 100 rds within an hour.
Old October 22, 2017, 01:18 PM   #29
morgaj1

I started with a Lee Classic single stage and a Hornady LnL Progressive. I found that I like loading rifle ammo best an sold the Hornady.
Old October 23, 2017, 12:49 AM   #30
kmw1954

My suggestion for what it's worth. If you are not in a hurry go to ebay and watch for a used single stage O press of any brand for the least amount of money. These are very simplistic tools and any brand is good enough to get started with. No need to spend a ton of money on a new press to get started.

I state this because I see and hear of many newbie loaders that buy equipment and then find they don't enjoy it like they thought they would and give up on the venture.

While on ebay I would look for any balance beam scale that is complete and made by Ohaus. They were branded for RCBS, Lyman and Ohaus. Models like the 502, 505, 510 RCBS, D5 Lyman are fine old model scales and can be readily found used on ebay for a fair price. Just make sure the pan and hanger are there as those items are costly to replace.

I have 3 presses and each one was purchased used, even though used they will most likely outlast me.
Old October 23, 2017, 01:35 AM   #31
Pathfinder45

I'm still using an old Lyman Spartan press that I bought at a gunshow for
$35. It just works.
Old October 23, 2017, 08:50 PM   #32
Dano4734

Well I found an old rock chucker for 50 bucks.. All in really good shape.. I figured I better start out single stage until I get good.. Thank you so much
Old October 23, 2017, 09:47 PM   #33
Tsquared

If you go single stage the RockChucker is the only choice. For progressive Dillon 550C is the answer. If you buy Lee you will end up replacing it with something better.
Old October 23, 2017, 10:20 PM   #34
lefteye

I began reloading rifle cartridges more than 40 years ago. The RCBS Rock Chucker was my first and remains my only press for metallic cartridges. It may be the best product I have ever purchased!!!
Old October 23, 2017, 10:23 PM   #35
Dufus

I have 2 Rock Chucker presses, but I always seem to use the Jr press the most.
Old October 23, 2017, 11:30 PM   #36
kmw1954

Dano4734 very good for you. For $50.00 you did very well and there is no way you will lose money on it. Now build yourself a sturdy bench. Doesn't need to be huge or heavy. Just sturdy and firm.

Hope to see you in this forum asking questions and enjoying yourself.
Old October 24, 2017, 01:12 AM   #37
lefteye

^^^ "Sturdy and firm." Good advice! I believe the Rock Chucker is the best because it is so strong and rigid. Every stroke with an RC is identical so every cartridge is nearly identical to others. Of course, my statement ignores slight variations in powder charges, primer seating and resizing fired cases.
Old October 24, 2017, 02:46 AM   #38
HiBC

Dano, There is a LOT to be said for learning the reloading process on a single stage press.
The RCBS Rockchucker is a "Best" grade single stage press.
For $50,you are well set up.
I personally find the RCBS priming system easiest...for me.
Well done!!You have budget left for scale,calipers,measure,tumbler,blocks,manuals,trimmer,chamfer tool....:-)
And you have a top of the line press.
Old October 24, 2017, 07:05 AM   #39
hounddawg

Quote:
If you buy Lee you will end up replacing it with something better.
yeah I keep waiting on my Lee "O" style to break so I can replace it, 18 years I have been waiting

Anyway, I am glad you found you a good press and hope you enjoy it.
Old October 24, 2017, 08:15 AM   #40
Dano4734

You folks are so kind to help this old newbie. Going to start slow read a lot and have fun with it.
Old October 24, 2017, 09:21 AM   #41
603Country

The press was a good buy. RCBS is always a good choice of reloading gear. The lifetime guarantee is real. A couple years ago my RCBS handheld primer seater broke. I still had the original box, and it cost $12.99 in about 1982. I called RCBS and they sent me one just like the broken one. And the replacement broke, so they sent me one of the latest models. All for free, to replace a 35 year old primer seater. I was impressed.
Old October 29, 2017, 08:26 AM   #42
hooligan1

I started with a Lyman Orange Crusher and still use it to this very day.
3006 was the first cartridge I learned how to handload, coupled with 150 grn Btips and IMR 4350.
Not sure just exactly how many deer have fallen to that great cartridge and loading for my family but Id venture 35 to 40....special to me that 3006.
Old October 29, 2017, 09:33 AM   #43
Real Gun

I think you will need a good single stage for the 30-06 and would do well with a Lee Classic cast turret for handgun. Decide which one to start, but I think you would benefit from the handgun cartridge production and have less to know about case preparation of the 30-06. When you get established and need a high volume round, then a popular progressive will be worth considering.
Old October 29, 2017, 09:37 AM   #44
Real Gun

"If you buy Lee you will end up replacing it with something better." - Tsquared

Perhaps from someone who never tried a Lee classic turret, one of the premier machines for moderate volume, handgun cartridge production.
Old October 29, 2017, 10:00 AM   #45
Blindstitch

And then if you do manage to break the Lee how furious will you be when they ship you new parts to fix it for free?

Lee is just as good as RCBS. It's all about the budget. If Lee cast their presses out of steel they would sell at RCBS prices.
Old October 29, 2017, 11:37 AM   #46
ShootistPRS

If you just want to try reloading and you are not sure if it is something that you will keep doing then get the cheapest setup you can find. I started with Lee. When I found out all I could do with reloading I bought an RCBS Rock Chucker press and components. You can find used presses on E-Bay and in the want adds for a lot less than retail. After getting set up with my RCBS I traded a gun I didn't trust for a couple of boxes of slightly used reloading gear and found I had two presses in the boxes. I had a 550 Dillon which I tried to use and ended up selling because it didn't fit my reloading regimen and as such was not as fast as my RCBS press. I also had a Lyman four place turret press. After some simple adjustments It worked well with no flexing or slop in the turret and I kept it and use it as a single station press.
My point is that you should not invest in equipment that will last a lifetime until you are sure you will use it for a lifetime. Go cheap first and when you make up your mind get a good press, scale, dispenser, trimmer, and all the rest.
Old October 29, 2017, 01:58 PM   #47
DaleA

Quote:
My point is that you should not invest in equipment that will last a lifetime until you are sure you will use it for a lifetime.
Ha! An older friend of mine recently got a phone call from the NRA offering a good deal on extending his membership for another year. My friend thought about it and agreed to the deal.

Then the NRA guy offered a five year membership extension for a good deal. My friend thought about THAT for a minute and then agreed to take the five year extension.

Then the NRA guy said something like 'now let me tell you about our current membership reductions and see if I can get you into a lifetime membership.'

My friend replied 'Sonny, I'm pretty sure you already did that with the five year thing.'

Kind of a conversation stopper.
------------------------------------------
As to the RCBS Rock Chucker, I predict that even if you get a turret or progressive later you'll keep your Rock Chucker. (And if you don't you'll regret selling it!)

Looking back on things, when I started reloading I really, REALLY, wish I would have had a friend to show me the ropes. Maybe you know someone who reloads? I didn't even have Youtube videos!

Good luck.
Old October 29, 2017, 03:30 PM   #48
Dano4734

That old 50 buck rock chucker is amazing. So easy to use and just so precise. Every one comes out exactly the same thank you thank you for the help.. Now I am hooked. I love taking my time and just reloading my ammo. I bought a rcbs powder measure and scales and all the other stuff I needed.. Great setup. I was going to get a hand primer tool but the press works just fine for me. Get setup videos on YouTube that got me jumped started. The nosler reloading book I bought is great.. Love it
Old October 29, 2017, 05:41 PM   #49
cw308

Dano4734
Your hooked , so many new things to try. You'll See. Welcome to the family .
Old October 29, 2017, 07:25 PM   #50
hounddawg

grats Dano. Just take your time, have fun and be safe. It is a wonderfully fulfilling hobby. Their is a lot of knowledge on this forum with a diverse set of
reloading skills in the group. Always feel free to ask about anything. On rare occasions we even agree with other