The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old September 26, 2017, 06:26 AM   #26
stagpanther

Quote:
His name is Mark. He works out of a small shop in rural Baxter County, Arkansas. He has been building AR-10s since the 1970s and in the intervening decades he has worked out all the kinks with the platform and with his network of suppliers.

I know about him because I engineered the jigs and fixtures he uses and my father, a master machinist, built them for him.

His rifles function flawlessly.
He does not advertise.
He has no website.
You have to find him,
Make a "pilgrimage" there, and
Convince him you are worthy of one of his rifles.

He has all his needs met so the amount you can pay doesn't sway him. He does not accept cash or credit cards. Like any true artist, he deals entirely in heads of cattle, barrels of oil or some other tangible good that can be traded on the commodities exchange.

Unless you're willing to become a latter-day Ozark Traveler, I suggest you look for what people regard as a serviceable rifle at a fair price rather than the "very best".
I've already bought some self-flagellation whips and starting fasting in preparation for my pilgrimage.
Old September 26, 2017, 06:43 AM   #27
mehavey

The SR762 also shoots cast (the ACC31-200GC and Lyman's Classic 311299GC),
Lyman#2, sized .310" & lubed w/ plain old 50-50, real well up to/including the mid 1,800s.

Shoot the piston "wet" and wipe it off afterwards (you were gonna do that anyway, right? )
Old September 26, 2017, 09:33 AM   #28
CalmerThanYou

Stag, yer gonna need a partner. I will get to work on a mule and some beaver pelts for barter.
Old September 26, 2017, 09:44 AM   #29
Venom1956

I like the feel and profile of my s&w mp10 alot feels much better then some of the heavier 308s around. That said I can't really recommend it since it uses parts that are proprietary to s&w I've been waiting for a new gas tube because I swapped a low profile gas block on mine and it's been the better part of a year... Nothing else fits it afaik.

Ar10 patterns are tricky since there isn't a standard like the ar15 has

I would try and research what is the most common and popular style and get one from a good company so you have the support of them and an after market if you choose.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old September 26, 2017, 09:59 AM   #30
stagpanther

Quote:
Stag, yer gonna need a partner. I will get to work on a mule and some beaver pelts for barter.
That will be your cross to bear.
Old September 26, 2017, 10:55 AM   #31
Venom1956

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
That will be your cross to bear.
I'll come along too. I must see the truth behind such a legend
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old September 26, 2017, 11:39 AM   #32
stagpanther

One pilgrim--whom I have not heard from since she embarked on her pilgrimage--posted this video of just one of the trials you must pass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21mzWdfHnwg
Old September 26, 2017, 01:48 PM   #33
agtman

Quote:
His name is Mark. He works out of a small shop in rural Baxter County, Arkansas. He has been building AR-10s since the 1970s and in the intervening decades he has worked out all the kinks with the platform and with his network of suppliers.

I know about him because I engineered the jigs and fixtures he uses and my father, a master machinist, built them for him.

His rifles function flawlessly.
He does not advertise.
He has no website.
You have to find him,

He has all his needs met so the amount you can pay doesn't sway him. He does not accept cash or credit cards. Like any true artist, he deals entirely in heads of cattle, barrels of oil or some other tangible good that can be traded on the commodities exchange.
Wow, ... sounds like a super-duper bench-rest special, which is fine if that's all you want to drop your coin on, but some folks are looking for more practical and proven specimens of the .308 AR breed.

How many of Mr. Mark's hand-builts have been vetted under combat conditions?

Last edited by agtman; September 26, 2017 at 01:57 PM.
Old September 26, 2017, 08:29 PM   #34
rickyrick

Quote:
He does not advertise.
He has no website.
You have to find him,
I have not found any object that I wanted so bad that I'd do anything like that... even when I have lots of cash
Old September 26, 2017, 08:55 PM   #35
CalmerThanYou

The mule and pelts are one thing, but convincing him of being worthy is tricky.
Old September 27, 2017, 02:15 AM   #36
stagpanther

Quote:
The mule and pelts are one thing, but convincing him of being worthy is tricky.
When in doubt, apply lots of alcohol; the universal judgement skewer.
Old September 27, 2017, 06:22 AM   #37
Rob228

I don't think you would be upset with an Armalite, they have really stepped up their game in the past few years.
Old September 28, 2017, 12:32 PM   #38
ronl

Just what would the intended use be for the AR-10? As mentioned before, they can get to the point of being too heavy to carry, if hunting is one option considered. I did a lot of thinking before I purchased mine. I wanted one light enough to carry into the field and one accurate enough(1-2 MOA) to plink with, and, if necessary, for home defense. Large bill to fill, but the CMMG MK3 CBR I ended up getting does a good all around job. I think it would shoot under MOA if I developed a load it liked, but as is it hovers around 1-1/2" with most ammo, which is good enough for me. Put a Horus Vision Talon 1-4x24 in Vortex rings on it and it fits the intended purposes for the rifle very well. It also accepts the Magpul mags which are very affordable. It is an excellent all-around rifle.
Old September 28, 2017, 04:44 PM   #39
agtman

Quote:
* * * It also accepts the Magpul mags which are very affordable.
That's a good point. Any make of .308 AR that requires spendy proprietary mags to feed it should be automatically crossed off the list.

The SR-25-type ARs will accept the readily available Magpul .308/7.62 mags, which are currently dead-dog cheap.

I have 12 Magpuls (of various capacities) for my LMT LM8 that essentially function as "shooters," "trainers," and "beaters" for range use & training courses. Another 25 of Magpul's 20-rounders NIW are laid-back in the event another "hi-cap" mag ban is attempted at the federal level.
Old September 29, 2017, 03:49 PM   #40
turkeestalker

I'm not jumping in because I know anything about ARs chambered in .308, because I don't.
But it did sting a little that no one mentioned the one that I purchased a while back, a Windham under a Nikon.
Considering what I paid though, I guess it's not even in the running as 'best'.
Sure does shoot as good as she looks and it is hella fun for way less money!
Besides, I love the fact that my sons throw up a little in their mouths at the sight of the laminate wood furniture.
Old September 29, 2017, 03:54 PM   #41
Stats Shooter

FIFW, the Ruger SR 762 takes P-Mags.
Old September 30, 2017, 11:23 AM   #42
ocharry

i have both Ruger SR rifles,,,556 and 762,,,,they are both very accurate and i love them,,,the 762 is a beast and i love the feel of her in my hands,,,she is accurate and sexy to hold,,,,and will work it up all day long,,,,nothing like a sledge hammer when you need one

ocharry
Old October 11, 2017, 06:17 PM   #43
Willcam

Black Creek Lab102

I have got Black Creek Lab 102 in 7.62 X51 "308". This rifle is made here in Canada. The rifle is based on the AR10 platform. Rifle cost is $1759 Canadian. The rifle is a great shooter. Lots of fun. I have a 4-12X 40mm Nikon scope mounted. The color is Dark Olive Green.
Old October 12, 2017, 01:14 PM   #44
funnelcake

If you REALLY want an AR-10....SR-25, otherwise get one of the new LaRue 6.5 Grendel rifles and give up largely nothing but weight!
Old October 12, 2017, 02:01 PM   #45
ed308

If you REALLY want an AR-10....SR-25, otherwise get one of the new LaRue 6.5 Grendel rifles and give up largely nothing but weight!

You've drank way to much of that Grendel Kool-Aide. How can the Grendel compare to the .308? More efficient bullets and SD? AA and others usually compare the Grendel with a 123gr Lapua Scenar to the .308 with a 175 SMK. Compare it to a .308 155 Lapua Scenar or some other match grade 30 cal bullet and out of the same length barrel. The 308 wins hands down. And when you use a lightweight 308 like the DPMP GII, it looses that weight argument.

I like the Grendel. It's a good cartridge that works in the AR15. I like that it has less recoil compared to the .308. But it's not a .308. No need to try and color it up and make it into something it's not.
Old October 12, 2017, 02:16 PM   #46
Stats Shooter

Quote:
You've drank way to much of that Grendel Kool-Aide. How can the Grendel compare to the .308? More efficient bullets and SD? AA and others usually compare the Grendel with a 123gr Lapua Scenar to the .308 with a 175 SMK. Compare it to a .308 155 Lapua Scenar or some other match grade 30 cal bullet and out of the same length barrel. The 308 wins hands down. And when you use a lightweight 308 like the DPMP GII, it looses that weight argument.

I like the Grendel. It's a good cartridge that works in the AR15. I like that it has less recoil compared to the .308. But it's not a .308. No need to try and color it up and make it into something it's not.
This is why I have 556's and 7.62x51's. There is nothing that the Grendel, or spec, etc can do that a .308 doesn't do better, with more versatility than any of them. And the brass is not nearly as cheap and easy to get as .308. if a guy only has one AR and he wants some kind of middle of the road cartridge to plink AND hunt with, then I can see owning a 6.8 spec or the Grendel. But if you already have a .223, then get a REAL AR-10. (In 308)
Old October 12, 2017, 04:21 PM   #47
agtman

Quote:
This is why I have 556's and 7.62x51's. There is nothing that the Grendel, or spec, etc can do that a .308 doesn't do better, with more versatility than any of them. And the brass is not nearly as cheap and easy to get as .308. if a guy only has one AR and he wants some kind of middle of the road cartridge to plink AND hunt with, then I can see owning a 6.8 spec or the Grendel. But if you already have a .223, then get a REAL AR-10. (In 308).
Yep, ... notwithstanding all the zombie/apocalypse fantasies, it's still a 5.56 world, supplemented largely by 7.62/.308. Those cartridges will always be GTG.

Although I own an AR in 300BLK, that cartridge hasn't become nearly as ubiquitous as its fanboys once claimed it would be.

Other odd-ball AR chamberings, like the Grendal or the 6.8 Spec are, at best, niche-use cartridges. Not saying they don't have a role somewhere, such as for hunting, but for a primary AR "battle rifle" chambered for other than 5.56, it's the 7.62/.308 all day every day, ... and maybe twice on Sunday at the range.
Old October 12, 2017, 05:26 PM   #48
ed308

Full disclosure, I'm a big fan of the 6.8 and to a lesser degree the Grendel. Both are great cartridges in their own right. But they ain't a .308. When I hunt, I grab one of my 6.8. It does everything I need for the game and distance I hunt. I like less recoil and less weight for my hunting.

I've lug an AR10 in the field for too long. My AR10 become a safe queen after I built my first 6.8 back in 2012. I probably sell it and get out of the caliber completely and migrate to the 6.5 Creedmoor. But no denying its a good cartridge. Just not for me.

Last edited by ed308; October 12, 2017 at 05:32 PM.