The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 7, 2013, 02:47 PM   #1
TexasDuckHunter

Gun Transporting Box

I have been planning on making a gun box to transport my guns hunting and to the range. I drive a 04 Toyota Tacoma single cab and Have no room to carry multiple rifles in the truck. That being said I go on some pretty long hunts (out of state) and we always drive there (no flights) So I need a weather proof box that can hold a minimum of 3 or four rifles/shotguns plus some ammunition. I might end up fancying it up by adding a removable layer to double my rifle capacity and adding a drawer in the bottom for ammo. The point is it has to be COMPLETELY waterproof and it MUST be able to bolt to the bed of my truck. I am thinking of using cedar to build the box but that wouldn't be completely water proof plus it would weather.. I have an idea but I can't find any examples and I don't want to waste the money if it won't work. I was thinking about painting it with roll on bed liner... It would make it stronger, it would last longer, and it would waterproof it. Do you guys/girls think it would work though? Thanks for your help, all comments are welcome so long as they are civil.
Old August 7, 2013, 04:38 PM   #2
southjk

I think it would work but I think a store bought truck box might be a better more secure solution. Or would you rather just build it yourself?
Old August 7, 2013, 04:50 PM   #3
TexasDuckHunter

Cost is an issue, thats why i want to build it.
Old August 7, 2013, 05:54 PM   #4
L2R

outta sight, outta might

I did something similar years ago.
functional not real pretty.

I added a tonneau cover to keep the weather out and to keep others from seeing a box?

I know this doesn't make it secure but it would be obvious if someone is ripping it open with a knife that the truck does not belong to them.

It still looked good for the 4 years I owned it.
Old August 7, 2013, 06:21 PM   #5
TexasDuckHunter

thanks for the comment
Old August 9, 2013, 09:15 PM   #6
dwwhite

You might try a military surplus store. Our local store has an incredible variety of ammo cans and various equipment cases. Depending on exactly what size firearm you're trying to store, there's probably something that would work.

The beauty of the super sized (for lack of a better of a better word) ammo cans is that they're very heavy duty, weatherproof, and can be bolted or chained down in your pickup bed. The downside is that oftentimes, the BIG ones are priced on par with an equivalent Pelican case.

My solution to a similar problem several years ago was a cross bed tool box with a lock. I could put soft rifle cases in the tool box and lock it down. The tool box looked like everybody else's so the odds of anybody singling my pickup out for a break in was pretty slim. But, I'm not sure that an '04 Taco is wide enough for that.

Re:cost
Check Craigslist for used toolboxes. It's tough to give one away and there are often several listed for very low prices, less than you could build one for. Generally these low prices are very negotiable too, ask me how I know. I bet if you called around, you could get a good solid steel box just for picking it up.
Old August 9, 2013, 09:39 PM   #7
monoxide

Gun Transporting Box

You could make a wood box and then use epoxy fiberglass over it in a few layers. Just use a cheap wood as you want be able to see the grain or any thing. Then paint it or finish how ever you choose.

Tags
gun box , guns , hunting box , tool box , transporting box